United Kingdom Graduate Theology Schools & Programs
Graduate theology schools help students to explore religious ideas like god, the divine, and other metaphysical concepts. They might do this by studying not only the bible, but also theological scholarship, Christian philosophy, and other religious texts and teachings. Theology graduate schools—which potentially includes divinity school and seminary school programs within a university—are anchored in a certain faith tradition, and may explore theological concepts from that perspective. However, in some cases, secular programs could also be available. Theology graduate schools may offer masters degrees, doctorates, and graduate certificates.
Why Consider Attending Graduate Theology Schools?
Graduate theology schools could be a supportive option to pursue expertise in religious scholarship. You might choose to attend a convenient part-time program local to you, a full time residential program in an exciting new city, or something in between! Either way, you’d have the opportunity to study under experienced faculty, developing personal relationships with your peers and mentors. And you could use the resources available on your school’s campus, like research materials, technology, and even academic support. Some theology graduate schools even offer flexible scheduling options, including night classes that could accommodate a full time work schedule, or online courses.
Types of Graduate Theology Schools
Theology graduate schools offer a broad range of programs, each with unique approaches to the subject, and specific goals with respect to that approach. For example, a theology graduate school might use the framework of their affiliated religious tradition, and that may have some differences compared to a school associated with a different faith. However, that’s not the only potential difference.
While individual programs may vary, broadly speaking, theology
graduate programs fall in two categories.
- Applied Theology Graduate Schools develop high-level expertise regarding theology scholarship, texts, and concepts. However, they generally focus on helping students learn to use that expertise to help people in their careers. This could include religious education, ministry, or pastoral leadership. These may also be referred to as practice-based.
- Scholarship-Oriented Theology Graduate Schools focus on developing, writing, and understanding theology scholarship. In addition to developing fluency with theology research and influential voices in that space, students may also have the opportunity to hone their research and writing chops.
Degrees Offered at Graduate Theology Schools
Theology graduate schools may offer both practice-based and scholarly programs at several levels, including masters, post-masters, and doctorate. Shorter theology graduate certificate programs may also be available. Within each category, a range of degree types may be offered. The nature and availability of each degree or certificate type may vary by school.
Masters in Theology
Theology master’s degree programs may issue one of several different degrees upon completion. This could depend on the nature of the school, the goals of the program, and the types of students the program is designed to serve. The prerequisites of each program will differ by school. This could vary significantly, from programs open to those with little experience and unrelated bachelor’s degrees, to programs specifically for students with both religious education and professional experience (e.g. clergy).
- Master of Arts in Theology (or MA in Theological Studies): This degree type is somewhat variable. Depending on the school issuing it, it may either be applied or academic.
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.): These are usually professional degrees, meaning they’re practice-oriented. As such, they may tend to be aimed toward students with experience in ministry or religious education.
- Master of Theological Studies (MTS): MTS programs are typically academic. They focus on building fluency with theology scholarship, and performing and writing research. They may also help to facilitate further study at the doctoral level.
- Master of Theology (Th.M.): This is sometimes considered a post-masters degree, and as such may require students to have prior master's-level education in or related to theology. These programs are typically academic, focusing on building the theology scholarship experience one might need to pursue a doctorate.
- Master of Sacred Theology (STM): STM degrees are typically awarded by Catholic graduate schools. Like Th.M. programs, they’re often considered post-masters. They may help students to earn theology research experience, and help to facilitate doctoral study.
Doctorate in Theology
Theology doctoral programs include a few different degree types. In some ways, these may equate to the degrees offered at the masters level. However, there are a few unique differences. Also similar to the masters level, the prerequisites may vary, and the programs may either be professional or academic. Typically, however, you might expect prerequisites to attend a theology doctoral program to include elements like a theology masters program, research experience, professional experience, and adherence to a related faith tradition.
- PhD in Theology: Theology PhD programs may be the most variable between schools. Often, these are research-focused, and may look to support roles at the university level. That said, practice-based PhD programs may be offered at some graduate schools.
- Doctor of Pastoral Theology: These are typically professional doctorates. They’re often designed to help students apply their knowledge of theology in pastoral, ministry, or theology education types of roles.
- Doctor of Sacred Theology: These degrees are usually only offered at Catholic graduate schools in the pontifical university system. They tend to focus on theology scholarship, and aim to support students as they prepare to lecture on theology at the university level.
- Doctor of Canon Law: This is also a degree unique to the Catholic pontifical university system. It could be described as the religious equivalent of the Juris Doctor (JD) and focuses on the nature and application of the ecclesiastical laws and regulations within the church. Despite its comparison to JD degrees, however, it does not qualify somebody to practice law.
Theology Graduate Certificates
Theology graduate certificate schools enable students to study a specific theology topic in detail at the masters or post-masters level. Because these are not degree programs, the curriculum tends to be short. In some cases, the credits earned might be transferrable toward a degree at a later time. Schools may offer graduate certificates in a range of topics, from the teachings of a certain philosopher, to theology research methodology, to strategies to teach theology in the classroom.
Search for Graduate Theology Schools
GradSchools.com wants to help you find graduate theology schools. So, you can start right here, by browsing the sponsored program listings on this page! If you already know what you’re looking for, you can also use the menu to select your preferred program level and narrow your options down. Click on the name of a program that sounds promising to learn more and get in touch with them.
- Edinburgh, United KingdomEdinburgh, United Kingdom
University of Edinburgh
The Masters programme 'Theology in History' looks at the Christian past from a variety of perspectives — theology, philosophy, history — and provides options for special study of themes from the early Church to modern times.
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
There are both taught and open learning opportunities under the supervision of a tutor at spurgeon's College.
- Aberystwyth, United KingdomAberystwyth, United Kingdom
United Theological College, Aberystwyth
Opportunities are available for postgraduate study (full-time or part-time) either by means of Research or Taught Courses leading to Doctoral and Mast...
- Dingwall, United KingdomDingwall, United Kingdom
Highland Theological College
Students may pursue MPhil or PhD studies on a part-time or full-time basis. Part-time studies may be done by extension.
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
The aim of this programme is to produce professionals capable of adapting to the needs of churches in the 21st century.
- Belfast, United KingdomBelfast, United Kingdom
Queen's University of Belfast
- Bristol, United KingdomBristol, United Kingdom
The past 2,000 years of Christian history and thought encompass a series of seeming contradictions, eg tradition and innovation; orthodoxy and heresy;...
- Bristol, United Kingdom
- Exmouth, United KingdomExmouth, United Kingdom
This programme provides the basis for candidates to develop an understanding of interaction between theory and practice.
- Liverpool, United KingdomLiverpool, United Kingdom
Liverpool Hope University
This program provides opportunities to study major themes in Theology and Religious Studies.
- Bangor, United KingdomBangor, United Kingdom
University of Wales - Bangor
- Cambridge, United KingdomCambridge, United Kingdom
University of Cambridge
Requests can be faxed to +44-1223-338723. The Board of Graduate Studies regrets it is unable to take e-mail enquiries. Please do not send e-mail enqui...
- Leeds, United KingdomLeeds, United Kingdom
University of Leeds
- Derby, United KingdomDerby, United Kingdom
University of Derby
- Hull, United KingdomHull, United Kingdom
University of Hull
- Aberdeen, United KingdomAberdeen, United Kingdom
University of Aberdeen
The taught degree of MTh is intended to give students the opportunity of theological study at a more advanced level than an undergraduate degree, whet...
- Aberdeen, United Kingdom
- Lancaster, United KingdomLancaster, United Kingdom
University College of St. Martin
- Canterbury, United KingdomCanterbury, United Kingdom
Canterbury Christ Church University College
- Lampeter, United KingdomLampeter, United Kingdom
University of Wales - Lampeter
This programme springs from the research interests of staff members working in diverse fields and from the interdisciplinary frame of mind which chara...
- Lampeter, United Kingdom