Connecticut Hybrid Psychology Graduate Programs & Psychology Graduate Schools
Hybrid Psychology Graduate programs offer students a low residency and flexible learning format in both general and specialty psychology degrees. Often referred to as ‘blended online’, students typically take the bulk of their courses through a distance-learning format, which may mean that seminars are pre-recorded or that they are live-streaming. This can make earning a degree more convenient, especially for the working professional, the student who lives too far from an accredited university program, or an individual who is returning to school with other time constraints. The other component to a hybrid program are graduate college classes or intensives where a lot of material is packed into a short period; especially beneficial in a human-centered field like psychology where online courses cannot cover every subject, or where time in the laboratory is an important requirement. If you are ready to search for a graduate psychology degree, a Hybrid Psychology Graduate program is worth considering as you are in many ways, getting the best of two learning delivery methods.
What Types of Hybrid Psychology Graduate Programs Are There?
Hybrid Psychology Graduate programs may be offered as Masters in Psychology, Education Specialist degree (Ed.S.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Psychology, and Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) programs. There are many different types of psychology degrees available, but it is a good idea to research the level of education necessary to enter your desired career path; in some cases, a Master’s degree may be sufficient, but to actually practice as a licensed psychologist requires state licensure along with a doctorate degree[i].
DID YOU KNOW? “Most master’s degree programs do not require an undergraduate major in psychology, but do require coursework in introductory psychology, experimental psychology, and statistics. Some doctoral degree programs require applicants to have a master’s degree in psychology; others will accept applicants with a bachelor’s degree and a major in psychology.”[ii]
Hybrid Masters in Psychology Degrees
Typically 2 to 3-year graduate degrees, Masters in Psychology tend to be offered as either Master of Arts in Psychology or Master of Science in Psychology, and students may choose to continue either the liberal arts or science focus of their Bachelor’s degree.
Hybrid Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
The Doctor of Philosophy, or, Ph.D. in Psychology often takes from 5 to 7 years of graduate study to complete. Ph.D. psychology programs are academic or more research-oriented, but they do often combine theory with applied learning.
Hybrid Doctor of Psychology
Doctor of Psychology, or Psy.D. programs, are also doctoral-level degrees like the Ph.D. However, the Psy.D. tends to be practice-oriented, and those who earn them tend to go onto to take licensure exams which upon successful passing, qualifies them to diagnose and treat different disorders, conduct psychological tests and provide psychotherapy.
Hybrid Education Specialist Degree
The Education Specialist Degree, or Ed.S., is an advanced graduate degree that typically requires at least 60 graduate semester hours and a 1,200 hour supervised internship. These programs include courses in education and psychology.[iii]
General Psychology Degrees and Specialty Psychology Degrees
To browse Hybrid Psychology Graduate degrees, you can refine your search by selecting the degree level and the subject selection tabs.
- Applied Behavior Analysis is a part of cognitive psychology that studies principles of human learning and development[iv]
- Clinical Psychology studies the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of mental and behavioral health and is a very broad specialty that addresses disability, minor and severe psychopathology and other issues[v]
- Community Psychology studies how individuals relate to their communities
- Developmental Psychology studies human development across the lifespan[vi]
- Holistic Psychology takes the perspective that mind, body and spirit are connected
- Organizational Psychology, also called I/O psychology is the scientific study of human behavior in the workplace[vii]
- Sports Psychology bridges sport science, psychological skills of athletes and medicine and is recognized as an APA-proficiency[viii]
Accreditation is a process whereby an outside agency measures an institution of higher learning or a specific program to ensure its quality. Masters in Psychology programs by nationally or regionally accredited agencies. If you are ready to look into a doctorate program, it is helpful to look for accreditation by the American Psychological Association.
Find a Hybrid Psychology Graduate Program
Hybrid Psychology Graduate programs may be the perfect solution to you if you cannot commute to class every day, but you do want the community and interaction of the college experience. Start reviewing some of the fascinating sponsored listings. Some of these might include Doctor of Education in Sport and Performance Psychology, and Master of Science in Experimental Psychology. Remember that you can request info from the prospective graduate schools to help facilitate your decision.
sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm |[ii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm |[iii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm[iv] apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/behav.aspx |[v] apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/clinical.aspx |[vi] apa.org/action/science/developmental/education-training.aspx |[vii] apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/industrial.aspx |[viii] apadivisions.org/division-47/about/sport-proficiency/index.aspx |
- Offering two quality, competency-based online learning formats: FlexPath & GuidedPath
- With FlexPath, you can earn your master’s degree in 12 months and under $11,000*
- 97% of alumni agree FlexPath provided the flexibility they needed to pursue their degree (Alumni Outcomes Survey 2017)
*Assumes accelerated pace. Price varies by your pace and transfer credits. Other fees may apply.
- Some of the nation's most affordable tuition rates, from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access
- Fairfield, CTFairfield, CT
Sacred Heart University
The Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology program at Sacred Heart University will prepare students to be ethical practitioners of Industrial/Organizational Psychology.