Campus Applied Behavior Analysis Programs & ABA Schools
ABA Schools introduce students to advanced concepts of behavioral analysis and their applications in different settings. Through a combination of coursework, research and hands on practice, students may learn to help those with mental illnesses, autism and other disabilities change behaviors to achieve goals.
ABA schools may offer programs at the masters, certificate and doctorate levels, allowing students with a variety of backgrounds and goals find an on campus applied behavioral analysis program. If you're interested in an Online ABA degree, visit here.
Why Study Applied Behavior Analysis?
If you’re looking for ABA schools, you likely already have an idea of what this field entails – especially if you’re interested in psychology, and how people think, behave, and interact! But applied behavior analysis may have a variety of interesting applications – like helping autistic patients adjust to their surroundings, or even helping organizations to function better or design marketing. Behavioral analysts typically study learning, behavior, and patients’ responses to various environments. They then determine ways to take action and change behaviors using effective reinforcements. One potential goal? To help people live happier and more productive lives.
Did you know? The Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) awards BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst) certification to individuals who meet its certification requirements.[i]
What ABA Graduate Programs May Be Available?
Your choice of earning a behavioral analysis degree at a particular level may depend on your professional goals, as well as typical employer requirements. ABA schools may offer programs at the doctoral and master’s levels. You might even be able to pursue an ABA certificate program. Here’s some more info on these three potential options.
- Masters in Applied Behavior Analysis – Thinking about earning a masters in behavior analysis? Pursuing this program could be the perfect opportunity to explore behavior analysis across various populations, from children to senior citizens, as well as in different settings – like schools and communities. Plus, you could learn about the theory and practice of ABA, including therapies, professional ethics, and more. Earning a master’s degree may be necessary for roles like mental health counselor, therapist, behavioral analyst, and behavioral support specialist.[ii] Among other prerequisites, you’ll need to have earned a bachelor’s degree.
- PhD in Behavior Analysis – A PhD is typically an intensive program that may help students prepare for potential professional or academic pursuits. For example, psychologists may earn a PhD…or, alternately, a Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology).[iii] Additionally, those hoping to teach at the college level may opt to earn a PhD; in fact, 38% of postsecondary psychology teachers said a doctoral degree was required for their role.[iv] A PhD may focus on both ABA theory and practice, and these programs often place a lot of emphasis on independent research.
- Certificate in Behavioral Analysis – Interested in potentially building on past education and experience? A graduate certificate is typically a non-degree program that could help you explore new professional territory or pursue a career switch. For example, you could potentially pursue certificates in areas like behavioral intervention, autism spectrum disorders, or other subjects.
Why Attend ABA School?
These days, students may have a few options when it comes to pursuing a behavioral analyst degree – like online or even hybrid learning! Those possible alternatives may be a great fit…but there are some potential benefits that you can only find at ABA schools. It all depends on your lifestyle, learning preferences, and goals! Here are a few potential reasons you may want to Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Programs On Campus.
- Classroom learning – Some students may prefer the face-to-face learning experience they could get in a traditional classroom. In on campus applied behavior analysis graduate programs, you may benefit from in-person courses that encourage you to interact with professors and classmates.
- Student life – Sometimes, the best part of graduate school is getting involved! ABA schools may have student-run organizations, activities, and ways to engage with the community. You could meet like minded peers who share your interest in behavior analysis.
- Resources at your fingertips – Possible resources on campus could include career services, tutoring, labs, libraries, and even fitness centers. Plus, your ABA school could have local community partners, like schools and mental health facilities. This may make conducting research or finding an internship easier.
How Do I Know What ABA Schools May Be Perfect for Me?
Your choice of ABA school may depend on a variety of factors, like your career goals and whether you plan to pursue a phd in behavior analysis, a masters in applied behavior analysis, or another degree. But once you have decided on the level and format, you’ll still need to choose the prospective program that may suit your lifestyle and ambitions! Here are a few questions you may want to ask as you evaluate programs.
How far away is the ABA School?
Depending on whether or not you’re able to move, location could be a major factor in your decision! If you want to remain at home, obviously you’ll need to consider nearby aba graduate programs. But if moving is a possibility, decide how far you’re comfortable going, and what kind of environment you prefer (urban, rural, or suburban). Don’t forget to think about cost of living, too.
Is it accredited?[v]
It’s important to look for applied behavior analysis graduate programs or ABA schools that are accredited. Accreditation may be a good indicator that your prospective school or program meets industry standards. Plus, if you’re seeking financial aid, which may be available to qualified students, you’ll typically need to enroll in an accredited school.
Tip: Planning to pursue a mental health counselor career? Look for programs accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs.[vi]
Some applied behavior analysis graduate programs may offer evening and weekend courses, which might help busy, working students squeeze classes into their schedules. If your lifestyle doesn’t permit you to study by day, look into possible alternatives.
Did other students have a positive experience?
Naturally, you’ll want to consider behavioral analysis degree programs with a reputation for helping students achieve their goals! Retention rates and graduation rates may be useful statistics, but these numbers don’t tell the whole story. Find out if you can speak with a current or former student, or take a campus tour to learn more about what it’s like to attend your prospective ABA schools.
Search for Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Programs at ABA Schools
Ready to check out Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Programs On Campus that could be a great fit for you? Peruse the programs below, and click to learn more about each one! Then fill out the on page form to start talking to ABA Schools today.
Sources: [i] bacb.com/ | [ii] onetonline.org/link/summary/21-1014.00 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm#tab-4 | [iv] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1066.00 | [v] studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/consider#accreditation | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/mental-health-counselors-and-marriage-and-family-therapists.htm#tab-4
- Weston, MAWeston, MA
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is commonly associated with the treatment of autism spectrum disorders; however, it has diverse applications including organizational behavior management, behavioral psychology, and behavioral pharmacology.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- Chicago, IL
- Washington, DC
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Irvine, CA
- Morgantown, WVMorgantown, WV
West Virginia University
The Behavior Analysis program faculty train students in basic research, theory, and applications of behavior principles.
- Youngstown, OHYoungstown, OH
Youngstown State University
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
The Program in Neurobiology and Behavior is a University-wide, interdepartmental Ph.D. training program in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences of Columbia University. This program also participates in the combined M.D./Ph.D. program available to ca...
- Claremont, CAClaremont, CA
Claremont Graduate University
In recent years, the increasing worldwide recognition of the value of accountability and professionalism has created an intense demand for high qualit...
- Glassboro, NJGlassboro, NJ
The MA in Applied Behavior Analysis is designed for working students (i.e., evening classes) and can be completed in 4 semesters for full-time students. The implementation date is Spring 2009.
- Durant, OKDurant, OK
Southeastern Oklahoma State University
The Counseling programs are designed to provide the appropriate counselor training and perspective necessary for graduates to function effectively in...
- Shipai, ChinaShipai, China
- Flagstaff, AZFlagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University
Positive Behavior Support (PBS) is an approach to helping people improve their difficult behavior.
- Vermillion, SDVermillion, SD
University of South Dakota
The DMHI offers a Graduate Certificate in Disaster Mental Health to graduate students in the USD and SDSU counseling programs, the SDSU graduate nursi...
- San Angelo, TXSan Angelo, TX
Angelo State University
Develop & enhance knowledge valuable to executives, administrators & managers in both profit & non-profit sectors of the economy...
- Yokohama, JapanYokohama, Japan
This department is equipped with some of the finest visual and tactile laboratory facilities in the country.
- Caldwell, NJCaldwell, NJ
The Ph.D. in ABA program was designed for high-level employment where there are growing demands for competent professionals with expertise in ABA: namely, developmental services, special education, mental health, and academia.
- Caldwell, NJ
- Flushing, NYFlushing, NY
Queens College - City University Of New York
The goal of the Advanced Certificate program is to prepare people to design, deliver, and evaluate individualized behavioral interventions.
- Manhattan, KSManhattan, KS
Kansas State University
The Human Factors/Applied Experimental Psychology Graduate Program at Kansas StateUniversity is designed to prepare students for careers as experiment...
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
Emphasis on qualitative and quantitative research while also equipping you with knowledge of theoretical and practical issues.
- Augusta, GAAugusta, GA
Augusta State University
The Applied Experimental Program offers an intensive education in experimental psychology geared toward students who want to work after the degree.
- El Cajon, CAEl Cajon, CA
Southern California Seminary
SCS is a private institution of higher education with undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate degrees in Psychology and Bible.
- Montgomery, ALMontgomery, AL
Auburn University At Montgomery
Our program offers opportunities to acquire clinical and research skills that may lead to either employment at the masters level or continued study at...
- Hempstead, NYHempstead, NY
This program will prepare students to work in the field of applied behavior analysis.
- Saint Cloud, MNSaint Cloud, MN
St. Cloud State University
This master of science program is designed for those students who desire advanced academic and professional training in behavior...