Project Management Graduate Schools
While earning a graduate degree in project management, students study how to manage the costs, reduce the risk, and oversee resources for the entire project lifecycle. Typically, these lessons are taught through an in-depth analysis of the theories and concepts in the field.
Plus, choosing to earn your graduate degree on-campus may offer a disciplined approach through classes that meet at a specific time and place. This format may provide you with the structure, and in-person interactions, that suit your learning needs.
Did You Know?
According to a study by the University of Ottawa, 33% of projects fail because of a lack of involvement from senior leadership.
Graduate Degree in Project Management: Key Topics
Project management graduate schools aim to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the many components that go into successfully completing a project. Some of the key topics you may study while earning a graduate degree in project management include the following.
- How to bridge the fields of engineering, technology, people, and business
- How to plan, manage, and execute complex projects
- Management of risk and costs in the planning and management process
- Effective leadership and team-building to support successful performance
Project Management Curriculum
Typically, your course of study combines theory and practical hands-on experience through real life case studies and events. Some of the common courses offered while earning a graduate degree in project management include those listed below.
- Fundamentals of Project Management
- Applied Project Management
- Quality Issues in Operations
- Finance in Project Management
- Case Studies in Project Management
- Management of Government Projects
- Project Team Management and Development
These are just a sampling of courses you might take. To support
your studies, you might also take advantage of the access to campus facilities, such as computer labs and libraries, as well as to staff support in regards to research and technology. On-campus learning may also provide more networking opportunities with classmates and professors through face-to-face interactions and collaborative work on projects. This may be a great opportunity to test out the theories you are studying in a real life scenario with a supportive team.
Project Management Graduate Degree Levels
Usually, there are three ways for you to earn a graduate degree in project management. There are many similarities between each of the different levels. For instance, each type of graduate degree is focused on teaching you how to effectively manage a project from inception to completion. However each of these have unique admissions requirements, graduation requirements, and require a different amount of courses.
- Project Management Certificate: This is a non-degree program that is usually offered as a part-time option so that you might perform coursework around professional and personal responsibilities. Most students earn an on-campus certificate in project management in one year, though some programs may run longer.
- Masters Degree in Project Management: By combining business, communication, and leadership skills and knowledge in their course of study, an on-campus masters degree in project management aims to teach the concepts, tools, and techniques used in today’s project-driven environment. Most full-time students could earn their masters degree in project management in two years. However, many programs offer the option of pursuing your degree on a part-time basis, so that you can work at your own pace.
- Doctorates Degree in Project Management: Typically, an on-campus doctorates degree in project management program seeks to develop a complete understanding of the principles of project management through research, critical analysis, and writing projects. Most programs require you to write, present, and defend a dissertation to a board of faculty in order to earn your degree.
Additional Certifications in Project Management
The Project Management Institute (PMI) offers a number of different certifications for those in the field of project management and for different stages of your career. Some of these are:
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP)
These certifications are earned in addition to your graduate degree in project management. However a graduate program may help you prepare to pursue certification. While these aren’t required, they may help ensure that you’re able to meet the demands of the field and may indicate to potential employers that you could manage projects in any field and anywhere in the world.
Earn Your Graduate Degree in Project Management
Take the next step to earn a graduate degree in project management. Click on any of the sponsored listings on this page for more information about specific schools. This includes curriculum, program descriptions, and admissions requirements. You can even contact your favorite schools directly to request more information and learn how to apply today.
- Boston, MABoston, MA
Wentworth Institute of Technology
The Master of Science in Project Management (MSPM) is designed for working professionals who want to advance their technical skills while learning the most up-to-date and innovative management strategies.
- Newton, MANewton, MA
More than ever before, companies today are recognizing the value of team members who specialize in managing projects from conception to completion on time and on budget.
- Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO
Colorado Technical University
Colorado Technical University’s Doctor of Management (DM) degree program now offers a focused concentration in Project Management.
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Greenwood Village, CO
- Milan, ItalyMilan, Italy
Politecnico di Milano
The course offers a balanced programme of professional training at postgraduate level informed by the most recent research in the field, and based upo...
- Springfield, MOSpringfield, MO
Missouri State University
This program equips students with the various skills to manage projects, meet specifications and achieve customer satisfaction.
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
The George Washington University
Established in the heart of the nation's capital in 1821, GW provides innovative programs in more than 200 fields of study, including graduate certifi...
- Pietermaritzburg, South AfricaPietermaritzburg, South Africa
University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Saint Louis, MOSaint Louis, MO
Washington University in St Louis
The Sever Institute provides educational opportunities for students in the areas of engineering, technology and management.
- Trois-Rivieres, QCTrois-Rivieres, QC
Université du Québec à Trois-Riviàres
- Toowoomba, AustraliaToowoomba, Australia
University of Queensland, The
- St. John's, NFSt. John's, NF
Memorial University of Newfoundland
The Faculty of Business Administration's the Centre for Management Development has announced a partnership with York University to offer a Masters Cer...
- Lakewood, COLakewood, CO
Colorado Christian University
The project management certificate program develops key leadership skills necessary for succeeding in todayÆs business environment.
- Newark, NJNewark, NJ
New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Boston, MABoston, MA
- Boston, MA
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
Build the skills,knowledge, and experience you need to lead technology initiatives and develop cutting-edge business solutions.
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Saint Joseph
Contemporary Project Management will equip you with a thorough understanding of the many facets of effective project management, making it an ideal program for those looking for career advancement opportunities...
- Frederick, MDFrederick, MD
Mount St. Mary's University
Project Management is one of the top ten technology skills in demand today. Evolving trends show an increased demand for quality products and services, requiring a disciplined approach to managing projects.
- Normal, ILNormal, IL
Illinois State University
Graduate study in Project Management prepares individuals in the planning and execution of complex projects within diverse industrial and organization...
- Kansas City, MOKansas City, MO
For an MA that will go beyond preparing you to work with numbers to one that will prepare you to work with people.
- Rochester, NYRochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology
This program teaches students how to plan, develop, and implement successful projects from initiation to completion.
- Minneapolis, MNMinneapolis, MN
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
This program is designed for individuals seeking advanced education for leading complex projects in a variety of work settings.
- Rochester, MN
- Aberdeen, United KingdomAberdeen, United Kingdom
Robert Gordon University, The
The course develops interpersonal skills necessary for effective project management.
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
Morgan State University
Morgan's MSPM program is suitable for professionals that want to develop their knowledge and skills to move up to...
- Mississippi State, MSMississippi State, MS
Mississippi State University
The Project Management MBA is an interdisciplinary degree that combines the management training of the MBA with project management-based Industrial En...
- Moscow, RussiaMoscow, Russia
The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration