United States Project Management Graduate Schools
While earning a graduate degree in project management, students study how to manage the costs, reduce the risk, and oversee resources for the entire project lifecycle. Typically, these lessons are taught through an in-depth analysis of the theories and concepts in the field.
Plus, choosing to earn your graduate degree on-campus may offer a disciplined approach through classes that meet at a specific time and place. This format may provide you with the structure, and in-person interactions, that suit your learning needs.
Did You Know?
According to a study by the University of Ottawa, 33% of projects fail because of a lack of involvement from senior leadership.
Graduate Degree in Project Management: Key Topics
Project management graduate schools aim to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the many components that go into successfully completing a project. Some of the key topics you may study while earning a graduate degree in project management include the following.
- How to bridge the fields of engineering, technology, people, and business
- How to plan, manage, and execute complex projects
- Management of risk and costs in the planning and management process
- Effective leadership and team-building to support successful performance
Project Management Curriculum
Typically, your course of study combines theory and practical hands-on experience through real life case studies and events. Some of the common courses offered while earning a graduate degree in project management include those listed below.
- Fundamentals of Project Management
- Applied Project Management
- Quality Issues in Operations
- Finance in Project Management
- Case Studies in Project Management
- Management of Government Projects
- Project Team Management and Development
These are just a sampling of courses you might take. To support your studies, you might also take advantage of
the access to campus facilities, such as computer labs and libraries, as well as to staff support in regards to research and technology. On-campus learning may also provide more networking opportunities with classmates and professors through face-to-face interactions and collaborative work on projects. This may be a great opportunity to test out the theories you are studying in a real life scenario with a supportive team.
Project Management Graduate Degree Levels
Usually, there are three ways for you to earn a graduate degree in project management. There are many similarities between each of the different levels. For instance, each type of graduate degree is focused on teaching you how to effectively manage a project from inception to completion. However each of these have unique admissions requirements, graduation requirements, and require a different amount of courses.
- Project Management Certificate: This is a non-degree program that is usually offered as a part-time option so that you might perform coursework around professional and personal responsibilities. Most students earn an on-campus certificate in project management in one year, though some programs may run longer.
- Masters Degree in Project Management: By combining business, communication, and leadership skills and knowledge in their course of study, an on-campus masters degree in project management aims to teach the concepts, tools, and techniques used in today’s project-driven environment. Most full-time students could earn their masters degree in project management in two years. However, many programs offer the option of pursuing your degree on a part-time basis, so that you can work at your own pace.
- Doctorates Degree in Project Management: Typically, an on-campus doctorates degree in project management program seeks to develop a complete understanding of the principles of project management through research, critical analysis, and writing projects. Most programs require you to write, present, and defend a dissertation to a board of faculty in order to earn your degree.
Additional Certifications in Project Management
The Project Management Institute (PMI) offers a number of different certifications for those in the field of project management and for different stages of your career. Some of these are:
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)
- PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP)
These certifications are earned in addition to your graduate degree in project management. However a graduate program may help you prepare to pursue certification. While these aren’t required, they may help ensure that you’re able to meet the demands of the field and may indicate to potential employers that you could manage projects in any field and anywhere in the world.
Earn Your Graduate Degree in Project Management
Take the next step to earn a graduate degree in project management. Click on any of the sponsored listings on this page for more information about specific schools. This includes curriculum, program descriptions, and admissions requirements. You can even contact your favorite schools directly to request more information and learn how to apply today.
- Newton, MANewton, MA
More than ever before, companies today are recognizing the value of team members who specialize in managing projects from conception to completion on time and on budget.
- West Lafayette, INWest Lafayette, IN
Four 3-day workshops on project management (essentials, initiation and planning, execution and control, and leadership for...
- Riverside, CARiverside, CA
University of California - Riverside
According to the Project Management Institute, top executives report that project management is becoming increasingly important to their companies, re...
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Saint Joseph
Contemporary Project Management will equip you with a thorough understanding of the many facets of effective project management, making it an ideal program for those looking for career advancement opportunities...
- Evanston, ILEvanston, IL
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies
MPM prepares technically qualified individuals for management roles in the construction and management of engineering projects.
- Evanston, IL
- Chicago, IL
- Palm Bay, FLPalm Bay, FL
Florida Institute of Technology
Program competencies include statistics, economic analysis, risk management and productivity measurement.
- Covina, CACovina, CA
American Graduate University
- Kansas City, MOKansas City, MO
For an MA that will go beyond preparing you to work with numbers to one that will prepare you to work with people.
- Normal, ILNormal, IL
Illinois State University
Graduate study in Project Management prepares individuals in the planning and execution of complex projects within diverse industrial and organization...
- Springfield, MOSpringfield, MO
Missouri State University
This program equips students with the various skills to manage projects, meet specifications and achieve customer satisfaction.
- Livonia, MILivonia, MI
The mission of the School of Business at Madonna University is to instruct students in the function areas of business.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
Baruch College, City University Of New York
The Zicklin School of Business offers an array of premier graduate business degree programs in New York City...
- Atlanta, GAAtlanta, GA
Designed to provide the knowledge and skills required to manage successfully in today's complex, technology-oriented organizations. Evening only progr...
- Flagstaff, AZFlagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University
The flexible and affordable Master of Administration program at Northern Arizona University can help you meet your career goals.
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
Morgan State University
Morgan's MSPM program is suitable for professionals that want to develop their knowledge and skills to move up to...
- Mississippi State, MSMississippi State, MS
Mississippi State University
The Project Management MBA is an interdisciplinary degree that combines the management training of the MBA with project management-based Industrial En...
- Fullerton, CAFullerton, CA
California State University, Fullerton
The certificate in Applied Project Management has been designed to give a realistic view of the challenges of the project...
- Honolulu, HIHonolulu, HI
Hawai'i Pacific University
Graduate Certificate in Project Management is designed for those who must provide quicker and more focused responses...
- Daytona Beach, FLDaytona Beach, FL
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
The Master of Science in Project Management will provide a solid foundation for Project Management work in a variety of sectors.
- Atlanta, GAAtlanta, GA
American InterContinental University
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) with a concentration in Project Management can help prepare students to develop the professional skills an...
- Los Angeles, CA