Sports Medicine & Athletic Training Graduate Schools
Athletic training graduate schools offer programs that teach how to reduce, treat, and mend sports related injuries through a combination of coursework and hands on training. Topics in these courses could include physical therapy techniques, emergency care procedures, and preventative care. Depending on your chosen level of education, you may also have the chance to conduct your own athletic training (AT) research. With your collected data, you could potentially challenge and enhance current sports medicine techniques.
Why Attend a Graduate School for Athletic Training?
Attending a graduate school for athletic training could be a great choice as it may provide hands-on experience and access to innovative technology.
First, on campus programs may be perfect for students who want to interact with their course material. Professors may constantly use visual aids, like anatomy models, to illustrate their lessons. In addition, some courses might bring in medical volunteers. Working with these patients in a classroom setting could help you better understand the real-world applications of your studies.
And, campus based programs could offer students access to technology labs. These laboratories might have cutting-edge AT technology such as vitals monitors, stress testing facilities, and more. This way student could work with the machines and computer programs currently used in the sports medicine field. Having that first-hand experience might not be something you could get from an online textbook.
Graduate School for Athletic Training Programs
Athletic training graduate schools may offer programs at the masters, graduate certificate, and doctoral level.
- The athletic training masters program offers courses that instruct how to treat and prevent sports related injuries. In many cases, classes are designed to help students study for the National Athletic Trainers
- Association (NATA) and the Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer (BOC) certification exams. Subjects could include emergency care, evaluation of athletic injuries, and rehabilitation techniques. While programs vary, most require two years of full time study and a bachelors degree.
- Graduate certificates in athletic training are offered in two varieties. First, some programs may act as a general introduction to athletic training graduate studies. These programs cover core material that is handled in the masters program. This could be a great option for students who have earned a bachelors in AT and want to try out graduate coursework before committing to a masters program. Other programs may offer courses in a specific type of athletic training, like yoga or holistic medicine. This may be a perfect option for current professionals looking to expand their knowledge.
- Athletic Training Doctoral Programs might be a great fit for students who want to teach AT at the university level or want to conduct research. Depending on your program, you could study advanced AT and pedagogy concepts. It’s important to note that many of these classes may be offered through your school’s education department. Or, you could study research practices in order to design your own sports medicine research studies. This way, you could test the effectiveness of current theories in the field.
Courses offered may vary between schools and programs. For more information, speak with a representative from potential programs.
Finding Athletic Training Graduate Schools
Finding a perfect sports medicine graduate school might be as easy as browsing the links on this page. Clicking on a link provides you with a brief description about a program. Or, you could refine this list by selecting your preferred degree level from the menus on this page. This way, you could browse programs that match with your academic goals. Good luck!
- Fairfield, CTFairfield, CT
Sacred Heart University
Become an essential member of the sports medicine team. Get the hands-on training and classroom experience you need to evaluate, protect and care for athletes at all levels. ...
- Tampa, FLTampa, FL
University of Tampa
Government, business, sports and education are some of the fields students will be prepared to work in with this degree.
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
The 3+2 degree offers an accelerated bachelor's degree in exercise science. This program will allow students to complete the requirements for the BS degree while transitioning into the Athletic Training graduate program. After successful completion of th...
- Clinton, CTClinton, CT
The athletic administration degree is designed for those who wish to work in the administrative areas of athletics either at a...
- Ashland, OHAshland, OH
This program provides learning experiences by combining exercise science theory with practical application.
- Statesboro, GAStatesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University
Master's program providing certified athletic trainers with advanced knowledge in clinical practice, instruction, and research.
- South Orange, NJSouth Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University
Our mission is to prepare individuals to become competent and independent clinicians who will enhance the quality of...
- Duluth, MNDuluth, MN
College of St. Scholastica
The College of St. Scholastica’s CAATE-accredited Master’s in Athletic Training Program is one of the most advanced programs...
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
- Rochester, MIRochester, MI
Goals of the program include helping patients achieve a level of well-being that reaches beyond merely the absence of disease.
- Nacogdoches, TXNacogdoches, TX
Stephen F Austin State University
We are a CAATE-accredited Graduate Entry-level Athletic Training Program offering a Master of Science in Athletic Training.
- North Manchester, INNorth Manchester, IN
Manchester’s two-year MAT program offers an entry level master's for people whose bachelor’s degrees are in other disciplines.
- Springfield, MOSpringfield, MO
Missouri State University
This program focuses on developing well-rounded, advanced skilled clinical practitioners in orthopedic rehabilitation.
- Marietta, GAMarietta, GA
The Master of Athletic Training is an entry-level or professional degree for persons to become certified athletic trainers.
- Billings, MTBillings, MT
Montana State University - Billings
This program prepares students for the Board of Certification Examination (BOC).
- Bridgewater, MABridgewater, MA
Bridgewater State University
The Athletic Training program prepares students for the National Athletic Trainer’s Association Board of Certification Exam.
- Gunnison, COGunnison, CO
Western State Colorado University
- Hickory, NCHickory, NC
Lenoir - Rhyne University
The Master of Science in Athletic Training is designed as a professional degree for persons entering the field of athletic training...
- Riverside, CARiverside, CA
University of California - Riverside
Iyengar Yoga uses asana (yoga postures) to develop awareness through movement and alignment of the physical body, and then evolves toward ever more su...
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
Jefferson (Philadelphia University + Thomas Jefferson University)
efferson offers athletic training education as an expedited five-year B.S. / M.S. Health Sciences and Athletic Training program; and as an entry-level M.S. in Athletic Training graduate program.
- Flagstaff, AZFlagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University
Our MS in Athletic Training will provide you with the knowledge and skills to become a certified athletic trainer.
- Fargo, NDFargo, ND
North Dakota State University
The MATrg prepares students to take the BOC exam and earn the ATC credential. Didactic and clinical experience courses focus on prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries resulting from physical activity.
- Fargo, ND
- Winchester, VAWinchester, VA
This program offers a unique combination of "hands-on" clinical training, classroom teaching, distance-based education and clinical research.
- San Jose, CASan Jose, CA
San Jose State University
The graduate athletic training program at San Jose State University, sponsored by the Department of Human Performance, offers the opportunity to combi...