Online Accredited Graduate Programs
Online graduate programs offer working professionals the opportunity to access higher education and earn a graduate Certificate, Master's or Doctorate degree online. As educational technology has evolved over the years students no longer have to relocate or limit themselves to schools near them to continue their graduate education.
Earning a graduate degree online also means students have the opportunity to balance academic goals with family or on-going career demands.
Why is Accreditation Important?
Some online graduate schools are completely devoted to web-based learning and offer online graduate programs exclusively. Other universities may make their traditional programming available as an online graduate degree. Regardless of which type of school is offering the program you are interested in, it is important that you confirm that the school is accredited. Why is accreditation important? Among many reasons, two stand out as very important:
- Funding - As a grad student, you will not be eligible for federal funding if the school you are attending is not an accredited online graduate school. Main types of financial aid include the Pell Grant, the Federal Perkins Loan, and Stafford Loans. For example, as a grad student, you may be eligible for up to $8,000 per year through the Federal Perkins Loan.[ii]
What Types of Online Graduate Degrees Are There?
- Types may be defined by the subject you are pursing, Master of Arts (MA), MBA, DNP (doctor of nurse practitioner)
- Accelerated programs - some schools offer accelerated programs where students are required to dedicate more time in a shorter window to graduate sooner. For example, our sponsored school, Northcentral University offers an accelerated MBA that allows students to graduate in as little as 12 months
- Bridge programs - some schools offer programs that combine earning multiple levels of degrees at once. When taken together, these degrees are earned faster than when taken separately. Many nursing programs are offered this way. For example an BSN to DNP. or an RN to MSN
- Direct entry programs - Direct entry programs are also found in the nursing arena. For students who are looking to enter into a new career such as nursing and have an undergraduate degree in a different subject, there may be specialized programs that prepare the student for this transition.
How Credible are Online Degrees?
The first step in determining credibility for any school is to determine if the graduate school is accredited or not. Beyond the school being accredited, students should also research if their program of interest has specific programmatic accreditation. If the answer is yes, it is a good idea to lean toward those schools that have that specific graduate program accreditation.
DID YOU KNOW?
The 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Study reported that more than two-thirds of graduate students feel their online graduate program was worth the investment of their time (73%) and money (69%).[iii]
How Do I Choose an Online Graduate School?
With the variety of online graduate programs, there are a few features you might evaluate when choosing with online graduate school to attend. These are;
- Decide how specialized you want to be. For example, you may want to keep your options open and simply pursue an MBA. Or, you may want to get more specific and pursue an MBA that focus' on Marketing or some other are of Business.
- What are you going to use the degree for? If your desire is to focus on research it may be more appropriate to pursue accredited Online Doctoral Programs vs an Online Masters programs
- Are you looking for an accelerated program or program that may accept life experience for credits? Ask colleges you are interested in if they offer these options
- Do you want to avoid taking entrance exams such as the GRE or GMAT? Look for schools that advertise their programs as such
- Look for fully accredited online colleges and universities
DID YOU KNOW?
“In some occupations, a doctoral or professional degree may be more beneficial than a master’s degree. For example, about half of psychologists had a master’s degree in 2013 but another one-third of these workers had a doctoral degree—and those with a doctoral degree had a median annual wage that was 46 percent higher than that of psychologists with a master’s degree.”[i]
Top Online Graduate Program Fields of Study
According to the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report, the top online graduate fields of study have fluctuated from 2014 to 2016. Business remains at the top with 26% of the market share in 2016, while Education has dropped to 14% and Computers & IT has leapfrogged over Education to 20%.
Beyond the fields of study listed above, the study also reports the following as the top 11 online graduate program majors[iii]:
- Business Administration
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Information Technology
- Educational Administration (K-12)
- Computer Security
- Special Education (actually tied with Computer Security at #6)
- And all tied at #9: Information Management, Web Development & Adult and Higher Education
Are All Online Graduate Programs Formatted the Same?
Online graduate programs are not all formatted the same way. A traditional graduate school may offer ‘live’ classes at one of their campuses that online students can ‘attend’ by logging in synchronously (at the same time) to be able to participate. Or, a completely online grad school may have asynchronous course material where students pace themselves. There could also be a mixture of these two formats. Ultimately, each university, whether it is a brick and mortar graduate school or an online graduate school, has different ways of formatting their online grad programs.
Online Graduate Programs FAQs
- How online is it? Some programs may be entirely online (100%), while others may be partially online; the latter might entail campus visits, residency or intensives. (e.g. online MFT programs)
- Time to completion: Some online graduate degree programs may be full-time, others part-time. You might also find online graduate degrees that are offered in an accelerated format to appeal to executives (e.g. Accelerated online MBA programs).
- What if there are Lab requirements? In online grad programs where a laboratory or supervised practicum is required, students may be able to complete the requirements in their community (e.g. Online MSW programs)
- Tech requirements: Your computer is your access to online discussion, online resources (E-Books, video, your course management system and email). You may be required to update your software, meet specific hardware requirements or have a working email address. In terms of tech support, this should be stipulated by a graduate school and you should be able to access this information ahead of enrollment.
- How do I contact my professor? There are usually provisions for contacting faculty. An online student may be paired with a faculty member, to reach out via email, telephone, online chat or whatever is predetermined by your university and program.
- Where is the library? An online graduate school may have agreements with your local library or have online resources. Some programs may supplement with textbooks.
- Is an online graduate degree easier? Online does not mean easier. It is a learning format that may work well for self-motivated students.
Reasons to Pursue Online Graduate Programs
There are many reasons a student may choose to pursue a graduate degree program online. Often times convenience and flexibility are factors that may influence the decision to select an online degree over a campus based program. But beyond the format decision, there are many other reasons students decide to continue their education. According to the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report, the top 3 reasons are[iii]:
- I want a new career in a new field (20% of respondents)
- The satisfaction of completing my undergraduate/graduate education (15% of respondents)
- I wanted to keep up to date with the skills and requirements of my current job (14% of respondents)
Take the Next Step
The opportunity to pursue a graduate degree online may make your goals within reach. Browse sponsored online graduate programs. Then use our on-page navigation to submit a request for more information from the online graduate schools on your list. Take the next step today!
[i]bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm#to-earn-or-not-to-earn-a-master-s-degree [ii] studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/perkins [iii] Aslanian Market Research 2016 Online College Students
State University of New York College at Cortland
The State University of New York (SUNY) College at Cortland promotes hands-on learning, employs industry experienced faculty, and has a special focus...
The Master of Science in Business Communication (MSBC) program is the first and only MSBC program in the state of Kentucky.
State University of West Georgia
Texas Wesleyan University
Tarleton State University
St. Thomas University School of Law
In 1998, Director, William H. Byrnes, IV established the first onlineLL.M.
Universitas 21 Global
U21Global is a premier online graduate institution custom-built for today's learning needs.
United Nations mandated University for Peace (UPEACE)
Ball State University
Courses are offered 100 percent online and an accelerated track allows students to finish this degree in less than 18 months.
New York University
.The online M.S. in Translation offers a rigorous curriculum that prepares you to become an effective professional translator by providing an in-depth overview of translation theory, while also addressing the more practical aspects of translation as...
- New York City, NY
- Keene, NHKeene, NH
Antioch University New England
This MEd concentration features Critical Skills, a problem-based, standards-driven, experiential & collaborative learning model.
- Keene, NH
- Carpinteria, CACarpinteria, CA
Pacifica Graduate Institute
A psychology program inspiring personal transformation & growth, and re-imagining careers, vocation, and self-expression.
- Carpinteria, CA
- Aston, PAAston, PA
The M.S. in Accounting with emphasis on Forensics and Fraud Detection is designed to help students identify financial...
Clarion University Of Pennsylvania
In the 21st century, an advanced degree is a prerequisite for the best jobs in the communications marketplace.
St. John's University
Kendall College of Art and Design of Ferris State University
Examine history and explore theory with expert instruction in materials and media, all guided by our own practicing artists.
Texas A&M International University
The Master of Science in Criminal Justice (MSCJ) is a comprehensive program designed to prepare graduate students to actively participate in the devel...
Distance Learning Career MPH students are required to complete the Core Curriculum which addresses the knowledge areas basic to the field of Public He...
Notre Dame de Namur University
The MPA prepares professionals to work effectively in management within public, non-profit, and service-related organizations.