Online Accredited Graduate Programs
Online graduate programs offer working professionals the opportunity to access higher education and earn a graduate Certificate, Master's or Doctorate degree online. As educational technology has evolved over the years students no longer have to relocate or limit themselves to schools near them to continue their graduate education.
Earning a graduate degree online also means students have the opportunity to balance academic goals with family or on-going career demands.
Why is Accreditation Important?
Some online graduate schools are completely devoted to web-based learning and offer online graduate programs exclusively. Other universities may make their traditional programming available as an online graduate degree. Regardless of which type of school is offering the program you are interested in, it is important that you confirm that the school is accredited. Why is accreditation important? Among many reasons, two stand out as very important:
- Funding - As a grad student, you will not be eligible for federal funding if the school you are attending is not an accredited online graduate school. Main types of financial aid include the Pell Grant, the Federal Perkins Loan, and Stafford Loans. For example, as a grad student, you may be eligible for up to $8,000 per year through the Federal Perkins Loan.[ii]
What Types of Online Graduate Degrees Are There?
- Types may be defined by the subject you are pursing, Master of Arts (MA), MBA, DNP (doctor of nurse practitioner)
- Accelerated programs - some schools offer accelerated programs where students are required to dedicate more time in a shorter window to graduate sooner. For example, our sponsored school, Northcentral University offers an accelerated MBA that allows students to graduate in as little as 12 months
- Bridge programs - some schools offer programs that combine earning multiple levels of degrees at once. When taken together, these degrees are earned faster than when taken separately. Many nursing programs are offered this way. For example an BSN to DNP. or an RN to MSN
- Direct entry programs - Direct entry programs are also found in the nursing arena. For students who are looking to enter into a new career such as nursing and have an undergraduate degree in a different subject, there may be specialized programs that prepare the student for this transition.
How Credible are Online Degrees?
The first step in determining credibility for any school is to determine if the graduate school is accredited or not. Beyond the school being accredited, students should also research if their program of interest has specific programmatic accreditation. If the answer is yes, it is a good idea to lean toward those schools that have that specific graduate program accreditation.
DID YOU KNOW?
The 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Study reported that more than two-thirds of graduate students feel their online graduate program was worth the investment of their time (73%) and money (69%).[iii]
How Do I Choose an Online Graduate School?
With the variety of online graduate programs, there are a few features you might evaluate when choosing with online graduate school to attend. These are;
- Decide how specialized you want to be. For example, you may want to keep your options open and simply pursue an MBA. Or, you may want to get more specific and pursue an MBA that focus' on Marketing or some other are of Business.
- What are you going to use the degree for? If your desire is to focus on research it may be more appropriate to pursue accredited Online Doctoral Programs vs an Online Masters programs
- Are you looking for an accelerated program or program that may accept life experience for credits? Ask colleges you are interested in if they offer these options
- Do you want to avoid taking entrance exams such as the GRE or GMAT? Look for schools that advertise their programs as such
- Look for fully accredited online colleges and universities
DID YOU KNOW?
“In some occupations, a doctoral or professional degree may be more beneficial than a master’s degree. For example, about half of psychologists had a master’s degree in 2013 but another one-third of these workers had a doctoral degree—and those with a doctoral degree had a median annual wage that was 46 percent higher than that of psychologists with a master’s degree.”[i]
Top Online Graduate Program Fields of Study
According to the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report, the top online graduate fields of study have fluctuated from 2014 to 2016. Business remains at the top with 26% of the market share in 2016, while Education has dropped to 14% and Computers & IT has leapfrogged over Education to 20%.
Beyond the fields of study listed above, the study also reports the following as the top 11 online graduate program majors[iii]:
- Business Administration
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Information Technology
- Educational Administration (K-12)
- Computer Security
- Special Education (actually tied with Computer Security at #6)
- And all tied at #9: Information Management, Web Development & Adult and Higher Education
Are All Online Graduate Programs Formatted the Same?
Online graduate programs are not all formatted the same way. A traditional graduate school may offer ‘live’ classes at one of their campuses that online students can ‘attend’ by logging in synchronously (at the same time) to be able to participate. Or, a completely online grad school may have asynchronous course material where students pace themselves. There could also be a mixture of these two formats. Ultimately, each university, whether it is a brick and mortar graduate school or an online graduate school, has different ways of formatting their online grad programs.
Online Graduate Programs FAQs
- How online is it? Some programs may be entirely online (100%), while others may be partially online; the latter might entail campus visits, residency or intensives. (e.g. online MFT programs)
- Time to completion: Some online graduate degree programs may be full-time, others part-time. You might also find online graduate degrees that are offered in an accelerated format to appeal to executives (e.g. Accelerated online MBA programs).
- What if there are Lab requirements? In online grad programs where a laboratory or supervised practicum is required, students may be able to complete the requirements in their community (e.g. Online MSW programs)
- Tech requirements: Your computer is your access to online discussion, online resources (E-Books, video, your course management system and email). You may be required to update your software, meet specific hardware requirements or have a working email address. In terms of tech support, this should be stipulated by a graduate school and you should be able to access this information ahead of enrollment.
- How do I contact my professor? There are usually provisions for contacting faculty. An online student may be paired with a faculty member, to reach out via email, telephone, online chat or whatever is predetermined by your university and program.
- Where is the library? An online graduate school may have agreements with your local library or have online resources. Some programs may supplement with textbooks.
- Is an online graduate degree easier? Online does not mean easier. It is a learning format that may work well for self-motivated students.
Reasons to Pursue Online Graduate Programs
There are many reasons a student may choose to pursue a graduate degree program online. Often times convenience and flexibility are factors that may influence the decision to select an online degree over a campus based program. But beyond the format decision, there are many other reasons students decide to continue their education. According to the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report, the top 3 reasons are[iii]:
- I want a new career in a new field (20% of respondents)
- The satisfaction of completing my undergraduate/graduate education (15% of respondents)
- I wanted to keep up to date with the skills and requirements of my current job (14% of respondents)
Take the Next Step
The opportunity to pursue a graduate degree online may make your goals within reach. Browse sponsored online graduate programs. Then use our on-page navigation to submit a request for more information from the online graduate schools on your list. Take the next step today!
[i]bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm#to-earn-or-not-to-earn-a-master-s-degree [ii] studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/perkins [iii] Aslanian Market Research 2016 Online College Students
Kansas State University
Grassland Management Graduate Certificate The grassland management graduate certificate program requires 12 credit hours of course work and provides students with expertise in managing grasslands, the principle resource of the Great Plains. Grasslands c...
The Master of Science in Travel and Tourism at Temple University’s School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management is designed to provide an unparalleled opportunity for individuals to meet the needs of the fast-paced travel and tourism in...
University of Hartford
The MSAT program is designed for students who seek to develop or advance a career in professional accounting or taxation in industry, public accounting, government, or not-for-profit organizations.
Sierra Nevada College
M.ED. IN ADMINISTRATION - MASTER OF EDUCATION IN ADMINISTRATION Get ready for a career in educational leadership in a program tailored to YOUR goals and needs. Earn your degree while you teach – 100% online class structure.
University of Maryland Baltimore County
The Master of Arts in Instructional Systems Design requires a minimum of 36 credits hours. Students must complete seven required core courses (totaling 21 credits), five elective courses (totaling 15 credits) and complete a professional portfolio...
Albany Medical College
AMBI is an internationally recognized leader in the growing field of bioethics.
California State University, Northridge
CSUN's mind-expanding Humanities program is for college graduates of any age, area of expertise, or stage in their careers who want to become more innovative as problem-solvers and leaders in their communities and workplaces.
When members of our armed forces experience physiological or psychological injury in the line of duty, those injuries can reverberate through military communities and civilian lives...
West Virginia University
The WVU IMC graduate program is designed to give professionals the tools they need to lead in today’s digital environment.
Rochester Institute of Technology
In today's business-oriented society, project-based organizations have become the norm and project management has become much more than just a way of conducting business. New growth within these project-based organizations has changed the shape of pr...
University of Western States
p>Our program is designed to help students develop the mental essentials to enhance performance and increase human potential. Our curriculum is designed specifically to help students become certified sport psychology consultants.
- Piscataway, NJPiscataway, NJ
Rutgers University of New Jersey
An intensive program that can be completed totally online or in a combination of course platforms – online, hybrid, on-campus.
More than ever before, companies today are recognizing the value of team members who specialize in managing projects from conception to completion on time and on budget.
- Boca Raton, FLBoca Raton, FL
Enhance your existing leadership and financial accountability skills, and focus on valuation analysis and portfolio management.
- Boca Raton, FL
National Academy of Ossteopathy
The Diploma in Osteopathic Manual Practice (DOMP) is offered online or campus based. It is 4 to 8 months full time.
Sul Ross State University
Sul Ross State University offers a comprehensive On-Line Masters program for Criminal Justice practitioners and future academics.
Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville