North Carolina Online Graduate Programs & Schools
What Are Online Graduate Degrees?
Earning a graduate degree online means students have the flexibility and opportunity to balance academic goals with family or career demands.
Top 3 Reasons to Pursue Online Graduate Programs
There are many reasons a student may choose to pursue a graduate degree program online. Often times convenience and flexibility are factors that may influence the decision to select an online degree over a campus based program. But beyond the format decision, there are many other reasons students decide to continue their education.
According to the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report, the top 3 reasons are:
- New career (20% of respondents).
- Completing undergraduate/graduate education (15% of respondents).
- Keep up to date with skills and requirements of current job (14% of respondents).
What Types of Online Graduate Degrees Are There?
Online graduate degrees include online masters programs, online graduate certificates and online doctoral degree programs, there are also different features that can determine what type of degree you may pursue.
- Types may be defined by the subject you are pursing, Master of Arts (MA), MBA, DNP (doctor of nurse practitioner), Masters in Counseling Psychology, etc.
- Accelerated programs - some schools offer accelerated programs where students are required to dedicate more time in a shorter window to graduate sooner. For example, our sponsored school, Northcentral Universityoffers an accelerated MBA that allows students to graduate in as little as 12 months
- Bridge programs - some schools offer programs that combine earning multiple levels of degrees at once. When taken together, these degrees are earned faster than when taken separately. Many nursing programs are offered this way. For example an BSN to DNP. or an RN to MSN
- Direct entry programs - Direct entry programs are also found in the nursing arena. For students who are looking to enter into a new career such as nursing and have an undergraduate degree in a different subject, there may be specialized programs that prepare the student for this transition.
How Credible Are Online Degrees?
The first step in determining credibility for any school is to determine if the graduate school is accredited or not. Check to see if the online school is regionally accredited. Not all online schools are regionally accredited—though the vast majority are. Beyond the school being accredited, students should also research if their program of interest has specific programmatic accreditation. If the answer is yes, it is a good idea to lean toward those schools that have that specific graduate program accreditation.
Degrees earned from regionally accredited online schools are just as respected and accepted as degrees earned from traditional graduate schools.
Is Accreditation Important for Online Degrees?
Some online graduate schools are completely devoted to web-based learning and offer online graduate programs exclusively. Other universities may make their traditional programming available as an online graduate degree. Regardless of which type of school is offering the program you are interested in, it is important that you confirm that the school is regionally accredited. Why is accreditation important?
Among many reasons, two stand out as very important:
- Funding:As a grad student, you will not be eligible for federal funding if the school you are attending is not an accredited online graduate school. Main types of financial aid include the Pell Grant, the Federal Perkins Loan, and Stafford Loans. For example, as a grad student, you may be eligible for up to $8,000 per year through the Federal Perkins Loan.
- Quality of education:Accrediting agencies exist to ensure schools provide a quality education to students. Online Graduate Programs that are not accredited will not have the benefit of this oversight.The U.S. Department of Education recognizes several regional accrediting agencies, as well as the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC).
GradSchools.com partners with only accredited schools so you can be comfortable searching our site for your online graduate degree.
DID YOU KNOW?
The 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Study reported that more than two-thirds of graduate students feel their online graduate program was worth the investment of their time (73%) and money (69%).
How Do I Choose an Online Graduate School?
With the variety of online graduate programs, there are a few features you might evaluate when choosing with online graduate school to attend. These are:
- Decide how specialized you want to be. For example, you may want to keep your options open and simply pursue an MBA. Or, you may want to get more specific and pursue an MBA that focus' on Marketing or some other are of Business.
- What are you going to use the degree for? If your desire is to focus on research it may be more appropriate to pursue accredited Online Doctoral Programs vs an Online Masters programs
- Are you looking for an accelerated program or program that may accept life experience for credits? Ask colleges you are interested in if they offer these options
- Do you want to avoid taking entrance exams such as the GRE or GMAT? Look for schools that advertise their programs as such
- Look for fully accredited online colleges and universities
Beyond the fields of study listed above, the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report also reports the following as the top 11 most popular online graduate program majors:
Most Popular Accredited Online Graduate Programs
|Rank||Online Subject||Online Degree Type|
MS, MBA, DBA
M.S.N., Msc, DNP, PhD
MA, MS, Phd, DBA
M. Ed., M.S., EdD, PhD, Graduate Certificates, Post Master's Certificate
M.S., DBA, MBA, DIT, PhD
M.A., M.S., PhD, Ed.D, Graduate Teaching Certificate
PhD, PsyD, MA, M.A.I.O.P., MIOP,MS, Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Applied Research
MS, MIS,MSIS, MBA, MBA/MSISM, Doctor of Computer Science
#9 (tied at 9)
MS, MA, Advanced Certificate
#9 (tied at 9)
EdD,PhD, EdM, MS, MA
Did You Know?
About half of psychologists had a master’s degree in 2013 but another one-third of these workers had a doctoral degree. Those with a doctoral degree had an average annual wage that was 46 percent higher than that of psychologists with a master’s degree.
Are All Online Graduate Programs Formatted the Same?
Online graduate programs are not all formatted the same way. A traditional graduate school may offer ‘live’ classes at one of their campuses that online students can ‘attend’ by logging in synchronously (at the same time) to be able to participate. Or, a completely online grad school may have asynchronous course material where students pace themselves. There could also be a mixture of these two formats. Ultimately, each university, whether it is a brick and mortar graduate school or an online graduate school, has different ways of formatting their online grad programs.
Online Graduate Programs FAQs
Can I get my master's degree online?
Yes, there are many online master degree programs to choose from. Most online master degree programs are offered through accredited programs and offer the same diploma as a traditional campus degree.
How online is the graduate program?
Some programs may be entirely online (100%), while others may be partially online, which might entail campus visits, residency or intensives. (e.g. online MFT programs).
How long to complete an online degree?
Some online graduate degree programs may be full-time, others part-time. You might also find online graduate degrees that are offered in an accelerated format to appeal to executives (e.g. Accelerated online MBA programs).
What if there are lab requirements?
In online grad programs where a laboratory or supervised practicum is required, students may be able to complete the requirements in their community (e.g. Online MSW programs).
What are the tech requirements for online programs?
Your computer is your access to online discussion, online resources (E-Books, video, your course management system and email). You may be required to update your software, meet specific hardware requirements or have a working email address. In terms of tech support, this should be stipulated by a graduate school and you should be able to access this information ahead of enrollment.
How do I contact my professor?
There are usually provisions for contacting faculty. An online student may be paired with a faculty member, to reach out via email, telephone, online chat or whatever is predetermined by your university and program.
Where is the library?
An online graduate school may have agreements with your local library or have online resources. Some programs may supplement with textbooks.
Is an online graduate degree easier?
Online does not mean easier. It is a learning format that works best for self-motivated students.
Are online graduate programs accredited?
Many online graduate programs are accredited but some are not. All GradSchools.com partner schools are accredited but it is always a good idea to research on your own and double check. For those earning a degree from a lesser-known online school, researching accreditation is especially a good idea given the number of scams on the internet.
GradSchools.com Offers 103 Accredited Online Graduate Programs in North Carolina
- Some of the nation's most affordable tuition rates, from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access
Queens University of CharlotteMaster of Business Administration Master of Arts in Communication Master of Business Administration - Finance Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Master of Arts in Educational Leadership
Roger Williams UniversityM.S. Cybersecurity
University of North Carolina at Chapel HillPharmacy(Doctor) Public Administration Genomics
Lenoir - Rhyne UniversityMaster of Arts in Teaching
Piedmont International UniversityReligious Education Biblical Studies - Non-Language Track M.A. in Biblical Studies M.A. in Ministry
Reformed Theological SeminaryTheology and Divinity
North Carolina A&T State UniversityInstructional Technology Technology Education Information Technology Agricultural Education (Professional Licensure)
International Center For Legal StudiesLaw
North Carolina State UniversityTextiles Geospatial Information Science and Technology Environmental Assessment Forest Biomaterials Business Administration Wood and Paper Science (Online) Curriculum and Instruction Family Life and Youth Development Teaching
University of North Carolina WilmingtonOn-line Graduate Program in Chemistry Instructional Technology
University of North Carolina at GreensboroConflict and Peace Studies Library and Information Studies Master of Science in Information Technology and Management (MSITM) African American Studies Program
Duke UniversityDistributed Master of Engineering Management Program (d-MEMP) Weekend Executive MBA Duke Environmental Leadership Master of Environmental Management
North Carolina Central UniversityNutritional Sciences
Pfeiffer UniversityMaster of Science in Global Sports Management Master of Science in Financial Fraud Investigations Master of Science in Leadership (MSL) Master of Business Administration/ Master of Science in Leadership and Organizational Change Master of Arts in Practical Theology Master of Health Administration Organizational Change and Leadership Master of Science in Leadership and Organizational Change Master of Business Administration Master of Business Administration/Master of Health Administration Master of Health Administration / Master of Science in Leadership and Organizational Change
Fayetteville State UniversityCriminal Justice
Gardner-Webb UniversityMaster of Business Administration (MBA) Ed.S. in Executive Leadership Studies MA in Executive Leadership Studies International Master of Business Administration (IMBA) MBA Plus Certification Post Master's Nursing Administration Certificate Master of Science in Nursing Master of Divinity/Master of Business Administration (Dual-Degree) Post Master's Nursing Education Certificate Master of Accountancy (MAcc) MA in Sport Science Online MA in English MA in Elementary Education School Administration Add-On Licensure MBA Plus Certificate MA in Middle Grades Education Master of Science in Nursing/Master of Business Administration (Dual-Degree)
Eastern College of MusicMaster of Music
Western Carolina UniversityMaster of Construction Management Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Educator Master of Entrepreneurship Master of Project Management Online - Master of Construction Management Master in Human Resources
Wake Forest UniversityMaster of Arts in Counseling - School Counseling Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
East Carolina UniversitySchool Administration Instructional Technology Industrial Technology Security Studies Art Education English School of Art and Design Occupational Safety Library Science Construction Management Nursing Environmental Health Manufacturing Criminal Justice Health Education and Promotion
University of North Carolina at PembrokeMaster of Public Administration
University of North Carolina at CharlotteSpecial Education