Online Graduate Programs (Masters, Phd's and Certificates)
Online graduate programs offer students and working professionals the opportunity to earn masters and doctoral degrees completely online. Earning a graduate degree online means students have the flexibility and opportunity to balance academic goals with family or on-going career demands.
GradSchools.com Top Schools with Online Degrees*
Start Date: 11/26/2018
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - 10,861+
Student / Teacher Ratio - 1:1
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - 26,149+
Student / Teacher Ratio - 17:1
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - 44,560+
Student / Teacher Ratio - 18:1
Start Date: 01/14/2019
Format / Location - Online
Total Enrollments - 30,631+
Student / Teacher Ratio - 18:1
EducationDynamics maintains business relationships with the schools it features.
Top Online Graduate Programs
According to the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report, the top online graduate fields of study have fluctuated from 2014 to 2016. Business remains at the top with 26% of the market share in 2016, while Education has dropped to 14% and Computers and IT has leapfrogged over Education to 20%.
Top 3 Reasons to Pursue Online Graduate Programs
There are many reasons a student may choose to pursue a graduate degree program online. Often times convenience and flexibility are factors that may influence the decision to select an online degree over a campus based program. But beyond the format decision, there are many other reasons students decide to continue their education. According to the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report, the top 3 reasons are[iii]:
- I want a new career in a new field (20% of respondents).
- The satisfaction of completing my undergraduate/graduate education (15% of respondents).
- I wanted to keep up to date with the skills and requirements of my current job (14% of respondents).
How Credible Are Online Degrees?
The first step in determining credibility for any school is to determine if the graduate school is accredited or not. Check to see if the online school is regionally accredited. Not all online schools are regionally accredited—though the vast majority are. Beyond the school being accredited, students should also research if their program of interest has specific programmatic accreditation. If the answer is yes, it is a good idea to lean toward those schools that have that specific graduate program accreditation.
Degrees earned from regionally accredited online schools are just as respected and accepted as degrees earned from traditional graduate schools.
Why Is Accreditation Important?
Some online graduate schools are completely devoted to web-based learning and offer online graduate programs exclusively. Other universities may make their traditional programming available as an online graduate degree. Regardless of which type of school is offering the program you are interested in, it is important that you confirm that the school is regionally accredited. Why is accreditation important?
Among many reasons, two stand out as very important:
- Funding - As a grad student, you will not be eligible for federal funding if the school you are attending is not an accredited online graduate school. Main types of financial aid include the Pell Grant, the Federal Perkins Loan, and Stafford Loans. For example, as a grad student, you may be eligible for up to $8,000 per year through the Federal Perkins Loan.[ii]
What Types of Online Graduate Degrees Are There?
Online graduate degrees include online masters programs, online graduate certificates and online doctoral degree programs, there are also different features that can determine what type of degree you may pursue.
- Types may be defined by the subject you are pursing, Master of Arts (MA), MBA, DNP (doctor of nurse practitioner), Masters in Counseling Psychology, etc.
- Accelerated programs - some schools offer accelerated programs where students are required to dedicate more time in a shorter window to graduate sooner. For example, our sponsored school, Northcentral University offers an accelerated MBA that allows students to graduate in as little as 12 months
- Bridge programs - some schools offer programs that combine earning multiple levels of degrees at once. When taken together, these degrees are earned faster than when taken separately. Many nursing programs are offered this way. For example an BSN to DNP. or an RN to MSN
- Direct entry programs - Direct entry programs are also found in the nursing arena. For students who are looking to enter into a new career such as nursing and have an undergraduate degree in a different subject, there may be specialized programs that prepare the student for this transition.
DID YOU KNOW?
The 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Study reported that more than two-thirds of graduate students feel their online graduate program was worth the investment of their time (73%) and money (69%).[iii]
How Do I Choose an Online Graduate School?
With the variety of online graduate programs, there are a few features you might evaluate when choosing with online graduate school to attend. These are;
- Decide how specialized you want to be. For example, you may want to keep your options open and simply pursue an MBA. Or, you may want to get more specific and pursue an MBA that focus' on Marketing or some other are of Business.
- What are you going to use the degree for? If your desire is to focus on research it may be more appropriate to pursue accredited Online Doctoral Programs vs an Online Masters programs
- Are you looking for an accelerated program or program that may accept life experience for credits? Ask colleges you are interested in if they offer these options
- Do you want to avoid taking entrance exams such as the GRE or GMAT? Look for schools that advertise their programs as such
- Look for fully accredited online colleges and universities
Beyond the fields of study listed above, the 2016 Online College Student Aslanian Market Research Report also reports the following as the top 11 most popular online graduate program majors[iii]:
|Rank||Online Subject||Online Degree Type|
MS, MBA, DBA
Computer Science & Engineering
M.S., M.Eng., Ph.D.
M.S.N., Msc, DNP, PhD
MA, MS, Phd, DBA
Educational Administration (K-12)
M. Ed., M.S., EdD, PhD, Graduate Certificates, Post Master's Certificate
M.S., DBA, MBA, DIT, PhD
M.A., M.S., PhD, Ed.D, Graduate Teaching Certificate
PhD, PsyD, MA, M.A.I.O.P., MIOP,MS, Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Applied Research
MS, MIS,MSIS, MBA, MBA/MSISM, Doctor of Computer Science
#9 (tied at 9)
MS, MA, Advanced Certificate
#9 (tied at 9)
Adult and Higher Education
EdD,PhD, EdM, MS, MA
“In some occupations, a doctoral or professional degree may be more beneficial than a master’s degree. For example, about half of psychologists had a master’s degree in 2013 but another one-third of these workers had a doctoral degree—and those with a doctoral degree had a median annual wage that was 46 percent higher than that of psychologists with a master’s degree.”[i]
Are All Online Graduate Programs Formatted the Same?
Online graduate programs are not all formatted the same way. A traditional graduate school may offer ‘live’ classes at one of their campuses that online students can ‘attend’ by logging in synchronously (at the same time) to be able to participate. Or, a completely online grad school may have asynchronous course material where students pace themselves. There could also be a mixture of these two formats. Ultimately, each university, whether it is a brick and mortar graduate school or an online graduate school, has different ways of formatting their online grad programs.
Online Graduate Programs FAQs
- How online is it? Some programs may be entirely online (100%), while others may be partially online, which might entail campus visits, residency or intensives. (e.g. online MFT programs).
- How long to complete an online degree?: Some online graduate degree programs may be full-time, others part-time. You might also find online graduate degrees that are offered in an accelerated format to appeal to executives (e.g. Accelerated online MBA programs).
- What if there are lab requirements? In online grad programs where a laboratory or supervised practicum is required, students may be able to complete the requirements in their community (e.g. Online MSW programs).
- What are the tech requirements for online programs?: Your computer is your access to online discussion, online resources (E-Books, video, your course management system and email). You may be required to update your software, meet specific hardware requirements or have a working email address. In terms of tech support, this should be stipulated by a graduate school and you should be able to access this information ahead of enrollment.
- How do I contact my professor? There are usually provisions for contacting faculty. An online student may be paired with a faculty member, to reach out via email, telephone, online chat or whatever is predetermined by your university and program.
- Where is the library? An online graduate school may have agreements with your local library or have online resources. Some programs may supplement with textbooks.
- Is an online graduate degree easier? Online does not mean easier. It is a learning format that works best for self-motivated students.
- Are online graduate programs accredited? Many online graduate programs are accredited but some are not. All GradSchools.com partner schools are accredited but it is always a good idea to research on your own and double check. For those earning a degree from a lesser-known online school, researching accreditation is especially a good idea given the number of scams on the internet.
[i]bls.gov/careeroutlook/2015/article/should-i-get-a-masters-degree.htm#to-earn-or-not-to-earn-a-master-s-degree [ii] studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/perkins [iii] Aslanian Market Research 2016 Online College Students
Top 8,032 Online Graduate Programs in Jamaica
- The competency-based curriculum delivers both foundational knowledge and real-world skills.
- Two online learning formats available: FlexPath lets you set your own deadlines and move at your own pace, while the GuidedPath offers extra structure for those who need it.
Wentworth Institute of Technology
The Master of Science in Facility Management (MSFM) program is designed for working professionals who wish to advance their career by strengthening their skills and knowledge of facility management principles.
Baylor UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 15, 2019
The service-oriented Master of Public Health (MPH) online program from Baylor University enables current and aspiring public health advocates to pursue their calling.
Sacred Heart UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
Move up to a leadership role with a sought-after credential. Offering four specializations in Clinical Nurse Leadership, Nursing Management & Executive Leadership, Nursing Education, and Family Nurse Practitioner.
Trinity Law School
Over the years, job seekers have earned MBA degrees as a way to fast-track their career advancement. The problem is that so many MBAs have been awarded that the market is saturated, making it harder for candidates to stand out.
Lewis UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 14, 2019
Customize your online MS in Data Science degree with a concentration in Computer Science. This concentration approaches data analysis from a programming perspective and prepares students to create large-scale data storage systems.
Saint Joseph's UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
The online Master’s in Special Education from Saint Joseph’s University includes specializations and certifications that are designed to meet the most pressing demands in today’s schools.
Purdue UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
Purdue University's online Master of Science in Education in Learning Design and Technology gives you vital knowledge and innovative techniques to design and deliver effective instructional materials...
Utica CollegeUpcoming Start Date: January 14, 2019
The online Master of Science in Financial Crime and Compliance Management provides professional education to individuals who desire to advance their expertise in managing corporate and technological resources to combat financial crime.
The George Washington UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 14, 2019
The George Washington University's Education Specialist (EdS) in Educational Leadership and Administration is a specialized degree that prepares students to lead and promote high-quality student achievement at a district, sub-district or school-wide level...
Georgetown UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 09, 2019
Recognized as one of the top programs in the world, Georgetown University's Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management is available in an online format.
Winthrop UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
Winthrop University's online Master of Business Administration (MBA) program empowers students to lead with conviction in their current and future roles.
James Madison University
Earn your Masters in Information Security online at JMU, one of the original 7 National Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense. The comprehensive 33 credit program is highly technical, highly interactive and 100% online.
Antioch UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
Antioch University’s online MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling allows you to channel your passion for helping others into a meaningful and rewarding career as a mental health counselor.
Emerson College has translated the evidence-based curriculum delivered in its ASHA-accredited, top 20–ranked* on-campus program into an online format...
American UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 09, 2019
American University’s online Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation provides the skills to systematically collect, analyze and use data to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of projects. Graduates of this program are prepared...
Brandeis GPS degrees are for students currently working and seeking to advance their careers. We take a holistic approach toward evaluating applicants, looking at work experience, references and goals. GMATs or GREs not required for admission...
Grand Canyon University
Benedictine UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
Our changing health care industry requires nurses with more skills and knowledge than ever before.
University of Southern California
The MSW@USC gives students the opportunity to earn the same quality education on-campus students receive. Our robust virtual environment provides the latest web-based technology for a highly interactive experience that mirrors the stringent curriculu...
Big data is a big buzzword in the business world. But it’s a serious concept, referring to data sets so large and complex that traditional data-processing applications simply can’t handle them. That means it presents a challenge — and opportunity — for a...
Widener UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 14, 2019
Widener University's online Master of Social Work (MSW) is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). It prepares you to improve both your life and the lives of others through clinical social work and social justice.
George Mason UniversityUpcoming Start Date: January 22, 2019
Gain the deep statistical knowledge and technical savviness you need to advance to data scientist, engineer and analyst roles. You'll learn to deliver a process that transforms raw data and place it into a decision-making context.