Graduate Programs On-Campus Graduate Degrees & Graduate Schools
If pursuing a masters degree, doctorate degree or graduate certificate is on your radar, you may want to consider traditional campus-based graduate programs. Working towards an on-campus graduate degree may be a great way to expand not only your skills and knowledge, but also your professional and personal networks. Find a graduate school close to your home, in another state, city, or country on our directory.
What is Graduate School?
Graduate school encompasses advanced programs of study – graduate programs – that are focused on a specific academic discipline (e.g. business) or profession (e.g. engineering). Graduate schools may be academically oriented where the focus is on generating original research in one’s field of study. Or, a graduate school may be professionally oriented where the emphasis is on developing skills and knowledge for a specific profession. Alternatively, it may be both. Either way, graduate schools offer Masters degrees, doctoral degrees, post-baccalaureate and post-master’s graduate certificates. In other words, education beyond the Bachelors degree.
How Many Years is Graduate School?
Often the time it takes to ‘finish’ graduate school is dependent on the graduate programs themselves. Given that graduate program lengths vary, the following is an estimate;
- Masters degree might take 1 to 3 years beyond the Bachelors degree.
- Professional Doctorate (e.g. DBA) might take 3 to 6 years.
- Research Doctorate (PhD) might take 5 to 7 years.
- Graduate Certificate might take about one year.
Why Choose On-Campus Graduate Programs?
While it is true that distance-learning might provide a portable learning environment (have lap-top, will travel) on-campus graduate programs offer in-person learning, which has its own distinct features:
- Earning a graduate degree on campus may offer the opportunity to develop communication skills, team
- building and leadership skills
- On-campus graduate programs might foster relationships and or mentorship opportunities
- Graduate schools with on-campus programs may encourage community
- Graduate schools may have facilities such as athletics, libraries, alumni groups, places to eat, career counseling, health care
- Learn through demonstration, live lectures and hands-on laboratory work.
- You may be able to find an evening program, one that meets on weekends or is offered part-time
Graduate Studies vs. Undergraduate Studies
Compared to an undergraduate degree, a graduate degree may entail:
- A highly concentrated course of study in a specific discipline
- Students may have comprehensive exams and rigorous examinations
- Class size may be smaller, and emphasis may be placed on team building or group projects
- Graduate programs may be oriented to leadership, management, research
- Some graduate degree programs may entail work experience via internships, supervised teaching, or research
- Conducting and contributing original knowledge and findings is often required
- Some graduate programs may focus on case analysis and practical application of knowledge, as opposed to general or basic theory.
What Campus-Based Graduate Degrees Are Available?
On-Campus graduate degrees are available in many subjects and come in three levels:
- Graduate certificates,
- Masters degrees,
- Doctorate degrees.
On our site, we list graduate programs by category. Opening a category might give you a list of sub-specialties under a separate ‘subject selection’ menu. From there, you can refine by the degree level.
- On Campus Business graduate programs
- On-Campus Criminal Justice and Legal graduate programs
- On-Campus Education graduate programs
- On-Campus Fine Arts and Design graduate programs
- On-Campus Health and Medicine graduate programs
- On-Campus Liberal Arts & Humanities graduate programs
- On-Campus Math, Science and Engineering graduate programs
- On-Campus Public Affairs and Social Sciences graduate programs
- On-Campus Religious Studies graduate programs
- On-Campus Technology graduate programs
Campus-Based Graduate Certificates
Campus-based graduate certificate programs offer highly focused courses in a non-degree program. A grad certificate may add onto existing credentials or prepare for a future graduate degree where program credits can be transferred.
Campus-Based Masters Degrees
Master's degrees are offered in many fields of study, with possibly more choice in campus-based graduate programs than is the case with online masters programs. Some Masters degree programs are designed to lead to a doctoral degree while others are the "terminal" degree for a profession (e.g. Master of Business Administration, Master of Accounting, Master of Fine Arts).
Campus-Based Doctorate Degrees
Doctoral degrees are the highest attainable degrees. They usually require the generation of new knowledge or theory via independent research - be it basic or applied (e.g. Doctor of Business Administration, Doctor of Psychology, Doctor of Nursing Practice). Specialist degrees are generally earned in addition to a master's degree and do require additional coursework, training, or internship experience. This type of grad degree usually prepares students for professional certification or licensing requirements (e.g., Ed.S. for school principal or school psychologist).
Accreditation for Graduate Programs & Graduate Schools
In the United States, accreditation is the process where a private, nonprofit organization reviews the quality of a university and/or its programs for quality assurance and quality improvement. Per the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), there are four types of accrediting organizations[i];
- Regional accreditors: Accredit public and private, mainly nonprofit and degree-granting, two- and four-year institutions.
- National faith-related accreditors: Accredit religiously affiliated and doctrinally based institutions, mainly nonprofit and degree-granting.
- National career-related accreditors: Accredit mainly for-profit, career-based, single-purpose institutions, both degree and non-degree.
- Programmatic accreditors. Accredit specific programs, professions and freestanding schools, e.g., law, medicine, engineering and health professions.
When evaluating a graduate school or a graduate degree program, many accreditation agencies have databases of current members.
Why Consider a Graduate Degree?
Pursuing a graduate degree on campus may be an opportunity to conduct research, learn technical skills, or prepare for licensure in career paths where it is required for professional practice.
Individuals might work towards a graduate degree for a wide variety of personal and professional reasons and goals;
- Potential to expand employment opportunities, especially for career paths that require a graduate degree for entry-level positions
- Potential for career advancement
- Personal research interests
- Credibility and professional recognition
- Preparation for professional practice and licensure (e.g. Psychology, Law, Medicine)
DID YOU KNOW? “Occupations that typically require a master's degree for entry are projected to grow the fastest, 18.4 percent, from 2012 to 2022. This growth is largely a result of the concentration of these occupations in the fast-growing healthcare and social assistance industry, which is projected to add a combined 255,000 of the 448,500 new jobs in occupations requiring a master's degree"[ii]
Find Accredited Graduate Schools with On-Campus Graduate Degrees
Find accredited graduate schools with on-campus graduate degrees by location. Once you have chosen a category (e.g.) business, refined be specialty (e.g. finance), narrowed it down by degree level (e.g. Master) you might look for campus Master of Finance degrees in a specific city, state or country. The same process can be used for any subject.
Take the Next Step
The great thing about our site is that as you review programs, you can submit a ‘request info’ form to contact one or several potential graduate schools. Take the next step in your education. Choose a Master’s, Doctorate, or certificate on-campus graduate program today!
[i]chea.org/pdf/Overview%20of%20US%20Accreditation%202015.pdf | [ii] bls.gov/opub/ted/2014/ted_20140107.htm |
- Boston, MABoston, MA
Wentworth Institute of Technology
The Master of Science in Facility Management (MSFM) program is designed for working professionals who wish to advance their career by strengthening their skills and knowledge of facility management principles.
- Boston, MA
- Purchase, NYPurchase, NY
Strategic HR Management leads people and businesses to a global competitive advantage.
- Purchase, NY
- Weston, MAWeston, MA
At Regis, we give you more pathways to pursue your goals in health care administration. As a dedicated leader of health administration education, we welcome ambition-driven, self-motivated professionals like you from all health care settings.
- Weston, MA
- Bristol, RIBristol, RI
Roger Williams University
Guaranteed paid internships and NAAB-accredited. Exciting two- and three-year options available in the M.Arch program offered by the School of Architecture, Art, and Historic Preservation.
- Bristol, RI
- South Orange, NJSouth Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University
The Master of Arts in Diplomacy and International Relations is a 45 credit degree program that includes both core and elective classes as well as a professional internship. ...
- Portland, MEPortland, ME
University of New England
The University of New England’s College of Pharmacy participates in the Centralized Application Service for Pharmacy (PharmCAS)...
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University
The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health is the largest and oldest graduate school of public health. Founded in 1916 as part of the Johns Hopkins University, the School has served as the model for public health schools, creating...
- Baltimore, MD
- Ewing, NJEwing, NJ
College of New Jersey, The
The Master of Public Health is a comprehensive program, providing knowledge to improve family and community health. Students develop leadership, critical thinking, and research skills to pursue public health careers.
- Brattleboro, VTBrattleboro, VT
Union Institute and University
Union Institute & University’s doctoral program plays a distinctive role in American higher education. Grounded in humanistic inquiry...
- Sacramento, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- North Miami Beach, FL
- Cincinnati, OH
- Irvine, CAIrvine, CA
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- Irvine, CA
- Chicago, IL
- Washington, DC
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Portland, ORPortland, OR
University of Western States
p>The UWS DC program is a rigorous 12 academic-quarter, first-professional doctorate program, which focuses on legitimate, mainstream evidence in the exploration of evaluation and care of patients and their needs...
- Belmont, CABelmont, CA
Notre Dame de Namur University
Notre Dame de Namur University's Special Education Program is designed to train teachers to alleviate the increasing shortage of special education teachers in the State of California...
- Belmont, CA
- Tracy, CA
- Paris, FranceParis, France
American University of Paris, The
A flexible yet structured degree program that provides you with the advanced skills to navigate the complex national, cultural and socio-economic contexts in which all of today’s business and other organizations operate...
- Newton, MANewton, MA
Selecting, developing and retaining individuals that thrive on change can prepare companies for the future.
- Newton, MA
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago
Loyola University Chicago’s MBA healthcare management program is designed to develop students into highly effective, socially responsible leaders in their industry.
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
The Master of Science in Hospitality Management prepares future managers and executives in the hospitality industry. The program is designed to be completed in 18 months with all classes beginning after 5pm...
- Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO
Colorado Technical University
The Master of Science in Information Technology with a specialization in Security Management is designed for students with a desire to develop professional skills in the main functional area of security management.Protecting the assets and information of...
- Colorado Springs, CO