Online FNP Programs
A family nurse practitioner (FNP) program is one geared towards those who wish to work in healthcare. This type of program may come from an accredited school. It may be ideal for those who are a registered nurse who wish to provide primary care to people of all ages. Students who wish to learn how to work in this field may complete their education, at least most parts, online.
What is an Online FNP Program?
An online FNP program may be an option for those who wish to study full time or part time, with a range of options available to do so. Most of the education may be completed online. To pursue a career as a FNP, students may need to first complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. They may then complete another two or more years of study to earn a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN). This type of coursework could be done online. This may allow students to work in new positions and provide more primary care services to patients.
An FNP program of any type is typically meant to provide a specific area of study for those who wish to work in providing primary care services to families. Graduates may learn advanced practice nursing in a range of areas. With a BSN, many students do not have the credentials necessary to meet this goal. They may continue from a BSN to an advanced practice degree through an MSN. There may also be bridge programs available. If a student does not have a bachelor’s degree in nursing, but holds an RN degree, he or she may gain access to an MSN program.
Many students may start with earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) before completing a master’s degree program in nursing. The BSN typically allows the student to earn a registered nurse (RN) licensure.
There are two differences in a bachelor’s level program. The bachelor of science program may focus on the practical work in this field. A bachelor of arts degree is usually different. The focus here is typically on learning the fundamentals. Students with a BA nursing degree typically go into an MSN program right away. They may be more focused on the education rather than the completion of a program to start working. An MSN-FNP program may also be an option. This typically allows students with a master’s degree in another area to move into the FNP area.
Time To Complete: The average time complete an online BSN program is 4 years.
The family nurse practitioner program (FNP) is usually available as an online program. An FNP degree is a master’s degree program. This is a special nursing practice degree. It often aims to focus on advanced practice nurse education. As an APRN, students may have more skill. They also could diagnosis and treat patients. As a step up from a bachelor’s degree, many students may complete this program and then work in doctor’s offices, medical centers, or in other programs. Those with an RN license may wish to pursue this area of study.
Time to complete: Typically is two years.
A Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is usually the next step in education. This doctoral program typically lets students learn what interests them the most. They may focus on research. Some focus on a very specific area of study. Some focus on informatics or informatics programs. And, some students aim for health promotion fields and work in government practices.
This online degree may enable students to achieve their goals in health sciences. As with an online master of science, the DNP program typically offers ample flexibility in course selection.
Time to Complete: This program typically requires two years in addition to the FNP completion.
Accreditation in a Nurse Practitioner Program
One key to obtaining an FNP or DNP degree may be having appropriate accreditation. Several organizations offer this for nurse practitioner programs. This includes the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN). Another organization is the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). The American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification is typically a necessary test for students to take. It likely helps to determine what a nurse’s skills and knowledge are.
National certification may be important when choosing a school. It helps ensure the program of study is recognized by the certification and licensing providers.
Students may need to meet prerequisites before enrolling in any program. This may include some clinical experience. The practicum may also be important to explore. Many students want coursework that directly improves their skills and abilities. The perfect school and program may offer this. Be sure to check on national certification. Then, check out any GRE requirements. Financial aid options may be available for students who qualify. Online courses may also provide a more affordable way to obtain this concentration.
What could I pursue after completing an Online FNP Program?
Earning a degree in this master’s program may allow students to sit for a certification exam. That is available for those completing a program approved by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Working in this field may allow students explore a range of opportunities.
Most often, an FNP program may teach practical skills. With those skills, a person may be able to work in a range of fields including:
- Registered Nurse at Hospital
- Work in a Doctor’s Practice
- Work in a Healthcare or Nursing Facility
- Traveling Nurse
- Work in a Practice
- Work in your specialty area at a hospital
- Hold a psychiatric mental health position
- Be the head of nursing in a rehab or long term care facility
- Teach nursing at a college level
- Run a program or division at a hospital
- Open your own practice
- Complete clinical skills in disease prevention to work in government offices
Is an Online FNP Program worth it?
Online nurse practitioner programs may be worth it. Making the decision to gain higher education is always dependent on what is perfect for you. As a graduate-level program, students may learn what interest them. However, they may also work with patients of all ages. This type of flexibility may allow them to experience a wide range of clinical needs. As an online MSN, it may even be possible to complete courses while working in the field in some way.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
A pediatric nurse practitioner works primarily with children. They may work in hospitals or in a pediatric practice. The primarily work with infants and children.
Acute Medicine Nurse Practitioner
An acute medicine nurse practitioner works primarily in an emergency room or hospital setting. They typically work to diagnose and treat problems in a short period of time and in many cases are not the long term care taker for that patient.
Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
In this position the nurse practitioner works directly with patients. This may be in a hospital, nursing home or long term care facility. They may also work in a family practice collaborating with doctors and other nurse practitioners.
Geriatric Nurse Practitioner
A geriatric nurse practitioner works primarily with senior citizens and their specific medical issues and problems. In many cases they may work in a practice or a long term care facility.
Nurse Case Manager or Health Services Manager
In this position the nurse may be responsible for planning and directing all the business activities of the medical office.
Online FNP Program Jobs & Salary
How much a person makes depends on many factors. This may include the types of services they offer. Specific areas may impact career earnings.
Following are some of the career options of many that one could pursue with an FNP. Some of the positions may not require being an FNP but that does not disqualify one from the positions. Some other positions to consider beyond these include nurse anesthetist, dialysis nurse practitioner, nurse researcher and others. As a practicing FNP the 2019 annual median salary according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is $115,800 per year with potential for a 45% increase in positions over the next 10 years through 2029.
What classes may I take with an Online FNP Program?
Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing Classes:
- Community Health Nursing - In this class students may gain an understanding of the needs of communities and society when it comes to health and healthcare. These students may also gain a knowledge of public health science and assessing as it relates to the field of nursing.
- Nursing Leadership and Management - In this class students may have an introduction in applying organizational skills and leadership into their work. These tools am to aid in the decision making process not only when working with the patients but for the overall good of the clinic or hospital in which the prospective student may work.
- Nursing of Older Adults - This course may focus on nursing and how to care for aging adults. The students typically get an introduction into gerontology. The students may learn how to deal with clinical work in a variety of settings while taking this class.
- Nursing Research - This class aims to focus on the basic elements of nursing research. The student may learn how research as it relates to being a nurse. The course may also introduce students to using these skills in making decisions and at a clinical practice.
- Advanced Pathophysiology - In this course the students typically analyze and apply responses to pathophysiologic mechanisms and the corresponding conditions. This may include responses that are both abnormal and normal. The student may also look at evaluations of the responses.
- Advanced Physical Assessment - In this course the student may gain a broader knowledge of health assessment. The student may develop techniques for assessing by using medical history and medical exams in order to make determinations.
- Advanced Pharmacology Fundamentals - In this course students may learn about common prescription drugs. Parts of the class may cover the analysis and application of these drugs as well expanding the student’s overall knowledge of the principles of pharmacology.
- Population Health, Epidemiology, and Statistical Principles - In this course students may look into population health, statistics and epidemiology. These principles may be analyzed and evaluated to help in drawing conclusions. The use of data and statistics to help with decision making and how to best treat patients may also be skills taught in this class.
Concentrated areas in an FNP Program
- Adult Gerontology - When looking to become an adulty gerontology FNP you may learn and master a specific set of skills. Skills that you may learn are the treating of adults and elderly as well as treating of adolescents. Some areas where this specialty is working are internal medicine offices, specialty clinics and rehab centers.
- Neonatal - A neonatal nurse practitioner may primarily work with infants. This field typically requires the conducting of research as well as collaborating with colleagues in order to draw conclusions. As this type of FNP there may be a need to not only work with the patient but with the family of the patient as well. In many cases the student may need to have previous experience working a neonatal unit of a hospital.
- Psychiatric - A psychiatric nurse practitioner may treat and diagnose patients using various methods. These may include the use psychotherapy as well as physical evaluations. They primarily treat patients who are suffering from mental disorders. The position may mean dealing with families as well as individuals who are suffering. This could include dealing with addiction and providing the tools necessary for interventions.
- Women’s Health - A women’s health nurse practitioner focuses on dealing with health issues that are specific or primarily faced by women throughout their adult lives. In many cases this may include conducting physical exams, diagnosing and treating women patients. This may focus largely on areas such as obstetrics, gynecological issues, infertility and postpartum complications.
How long does it take to complete an FNP Program online?
When pursuing an FNP you may be going for a Masters of Science in Nursing with the focus of being a nurse practitioner. The usual amount of time expected for completion is 24 months. However, that may vary. The amount of time it may take to complete this program may vary based on different factors. One of the main factors may be if you are attending the program full or part time. Other considerations may be if you decide to concentrate in one field or area of focus you will be practicing. Examples of which include psychotherapy or pediatric nurse practitioner.
Scholarship for FNP Programs
Value: This is a $500 one time non renewable scholarship.
Deadline: December 31
- Application form
- Official transcript
- Personal statement
Description: This scholarship is for current or prospective nursing students. This is open to all levels of secondary students. The purpose of this scholarship is to help offset loans and tuition.
Value: There are four scholarships awarded per your in increments of $2,500 per semester. This scholarship is non renewable.
Deadline: December 30
- Application form
- Letter of recommendation
Description: This scholarship is typically for students in a graduate nursing program that is an AACN member institution. In order to be eligible the student must have at least a 3.5 GPA. If not a member already winners must join the AACN and make a post summarizing their essay.
Deadline: April 28
- Acceptance letter
- Statement of goals
- Copy of nursing license
- Official transcript
- Verification of tuition costs
- Application form
- Two letters of recommendation
Description: This award is typically for students who are in good standing as a member of the Emergency Nurses Association (ENA). Students must be pursuing an MSN and have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA as well.
Value: There are usually a total of 40 scholarships that are awarded. There are ten for $10,000 and 30 for $5,000. These scholarships are for one year and they are non renewable.
Deadline: June 27
- Two essays
- Application form
Description: This scholarship program is typically designed to help those students who have already completed at least one of ear of school in a healthcare program. The primary basis for this award may be demonstration of leadership as well as academic performance.
Value: This is a $2,000 non renewable scholarship. There may be up to seven recipients for this award.
Deadline: March 31
- Application form
Description: This award is usually for any student who is in nursing school anywhere in the US. The applicant for the award may need to watch the “A Nurse I Am” documentary in either the 32 or 62 minute version. It is recommended that the applicant watch both videos.
Purdue University Global
Sacred Heart University
Loyola University Chicago
University of West Florida
University of Texas at Arlington
George Mason University