Creative Writing Grad School
Attending a creative writing grad school could help you further develop your writing abilities. No matter the degree level, creative writing graduate schools may emphasize practical application of your writing skills and knowledge in workshop classes. As part of these classes, you and your peers could submit recent pieces for feedback. The classroom could be a welcoming support system for you to experiment with your work. Also, some programs may offer additional courses in literary studies to flesh out your understanding of the craft. A creative writing grad school may be a perfect way to practice your craft alongside like-minded authors and stretch your creative muscles.
Choosing Your Writing Style
As part of your creative writing graduate program school experience, you could have the chance to focus your studies on your preferred genre of writing. This way, you could dive into specific techniques, tropes, and literary criticism associated with your particular genre. As part of a program, you could have the chance to study some of the following.
- Young Adult Fiction
- Children’s Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction
- Literary Translation
Genres covered in the program may differ by school. Be sure to speak with potential schools for more information.
Different Creative Writing Degrees
Depending on your academic goals and previous academic experience, you could study creative writing at many different levels. Below is a brief overview of several types of programs offered by creative writing grad schools.
- Masters in creative writing degrees are holistic programs that combine academic study with practical application. Courses first focus on teaching about the art of writing. For example, they may teach critical analysis, literary adaption, and cross-genre writing. Students could also test their skills and knowledge
- in workshop classes. These classes require students to submit works in progress for feedback from professors and fellow students.
- Graduate certificates in creative writing are a shorter version of the masters program. Often, these programs place less emphasis on academic courses and more on workshops. This is a perfect program for students who want a quick introduction to writing. Or, this might be a great way to try out graduate courses before committing to a masters or doctorate program.
- Doctoral programs in creative writing, like the certificate programs, place their emphasis on the workshop experience. Students may be tasked with writing, editing, and publishing a completed work by the end of the program in lieu of a traditional dissertation.
Degrees offered may differ by school.
Creative Writing Grad School Residency Programs
Many creative writing grad schools require students to take part in a residency program. During these programs, students may live on campus while they focus on writing new pieces. Low-residency programs may last around 10 days. But, high-residency programs may last 2 to 6 weeks. Speak with your school for more residency information.
Why Earn Your Creative Writing Degree on Campus?
Attending a creative writing grad school may seem like the typical way to earn a graduate degree. Granted, there are many potential benefits to studying in the physical classroom. For example, consider some of the following reasons to attend a creative writing grad school.
- You could attend workshop classes in-person. This way, you could hear feedback on your piece from your peers face-to-face and ask for clarification.
- Speaking of your peers, your classmates might be a great resource to have on hand when publishing your own work. Taking classes with your peers could also be an opportunity to build contacts. This is important as networking could be a vital part of your professional writing work after graduation.
- Many programs offer students the chance to student teach creative writing at the undergraduate level during studies. This might be a perfect way to flesh out your professional, creative-writing resume.
Next Steps to Find a Creative Writing Grad School
To continue your search for a creative writing grad school, browse the links on this page. Clicking a link provides you with more information about a particular program. To refine your search, use the menus on this page. Good luck!
- Parkville, AustraliaParkville, Australia
University of Melbourne
The Master of Creative Writing, Publishing and Editing is designed to provide students with a vocational qualification.
- Coventry, United KingdomCoventry, United Kingdom
The Master’s Degree in Academic Writing Theory and Practice offers a new type of qualification aimed at graduates and...
- Gainesville, FLGainesville, FL
The University of Florida
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
City College of New York, The
For more than three decades City College has offered serious writing students a chance to meet one another and to work under the guidance of a legenda...
- Sydney, AustraliaSydney, Australia
Intended for Australian and overseas practitionersin a variety of professions whose work is concernedwith applied language study.
- Norwich, United KingdomNorwich, United Kingdom
University of East Anglia
This MA is devoted to the critical and creative study of twentieth- and twenty-first-century literature.
- Saint Louis, MOSaint Louis, MO
Washington University in St Louis
- Boston, MABoston, MA
- Exmouth, United KingdomExmouth, United Kingdom
This programme enables students to develop their own, writing as they engage with the best contemporary work being published.
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
The MFA in Creative Writing is a broad program of study (39 credit hours) with five separate tracks.
- Fayetteville, ARFayetteville, AR
University of Arkansas
A 60 hour terminal degree in creative writing or translation with teaching assistantships available...
- Fairfax, VAFairfax, VA
George Mason University
- Annandale On Hudson, NYAnnandale On Hudson, NY
Founded in 1981, the Milton Avery Graduate School of the Arts offers an interdisciplinary program leading to the master of fine...
- Edwardsville, ILEdwardsville, IL
Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville
- Houston, TXHouston, TX
University of Houston
The Creative Writing Program in the Department of English is one of the few in the nation offering students a choice among three advanced degrees in p...
- Charlottesville, VACharlottesville, VA
University of Virginia
Our Masters of Fine Arts Program in Creative Writing is a small, two-year course of graduate study.
- Campbelltown, AustraliaCampbelltown, Australia
University of Western Sydney
UWS Nepean operates from two geographic centres - Westmead, located near Parramatta,and Kingswood/Werrington located between the towns of St Marys and...
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
University of Baltimore
Fresh ideas about writing. New approaches to publishing. That's what makes UB's Creative Writing & Publishing Arts one of nine...
- Madison, NJMadison, NJ
The Drew University Master of Fine Arts in Poetry Program is a two-year, low-residency program for poets and poet translators.
- Milledgeville, GAMilledgeville, GA
Georgia College And State University
Most students complete the MFA degree in 3 years (a few in 2 years), taking both workshop and seminar courses and completing a creative thesis in one...
- Glasgow, United KingdomGlasgow, United Kingdom
University of Glasgow
The MPhil in Creative Writing is conferred jointly by the Universities of Strathclyde and Glasgow. The course is directed at those who are already eng...
- Fresno, CAFresno, CA
California State University, Fresno
The M.F.A. in Creative Writing offers advanced degree training to talented students who wish to gain expertise in the writing of poetry, fiction or cr...
- Atlanta, GAAtlanta, GA
Georgia State University
The Department of English offers programs leading to the Master of Arts (M.A.) in English, with several specializations (literature in English, creative writing, and rhetoric and composition); the Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) in Creative Writing (poetry...
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
Founded at Naropa University in 1974 by Anne Waldman and the late Allen Ginsberg, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics comprises the Summer Writing program and the Department of Writing and Poetics, which administers the Master in Fine Arts in W...