Creative Writing Grad School
Attending a creative writing grad school could help you further develop your writing abilities. No matter the degree level, creative writing graduate schools may emphasize practical application of your writing skills and knowledge in workshop classes. As part of these classes, you and your peers could submit recent pieces for feedback. The classroom could be a welcoming support system for you to experiment with your work. Also, some programs may offer additional courses in literary studies to flesh out your understanding of the craft. A creative writing grad school may be a perfect way to practice your craft alongside like-minded authors and stretch your creative muscles.
Choosing Your Writing Style
As part of your creative writing graduate program school experience, you could have the chance to focus your studies on your preferred genre of writing. This way, you could dive into specific techniques, tropes, and literary criticism associated with your particular genre. As part of a program, you could have the chance to study some of the following.
- Young Adult Fiction
- Children’s Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction
- Literary Translation
Genres covered in the program may differ by school. Be sure to speak with potential schools for more information.
Different Creative Writing Degrees
Depending on your academic goals and previous academic experience, you could study creative writing at many different levels. Below is a brief overview of several types of programs offered by creative writing grad schools.
- Masters in creative writing degrees are holistic programs that combine academic study with practical application. Courses first focus on teaching about the art of writing. For example, they may teach critical analysis, literary adaption, and cross-genre writing. Students could also test their skills and knowledge
- in workshop classes. These classes require students to submit works in progress for feedback from professors and fellow students.
- Graduate certificates in creative writing are a shorter version of the masters program. Often, these programs place less emphasis on academic courses and more on workshops. This is a perfect program for students who want a quick introduction to writing. Or, this might be a great way to try out graduate courses before committing to a masters or doctorate program.
- Doctoral programs in creative writing, like the certificate programs, place their emphasis on the workshop experience. Students may be tasked with writing, editing, and publishing a completed work by the end of the program in lieu of a traditional dissertation.
Degrees offered may differ by school.
Creative Writing Grad School Residency Programs
Many creative writing grad schools require students to take part in a residency program. During these programs, students may live on campus while they focus on writing new pieces. Low-residency programs may last around 10 days. But, high-residency programs may last 2 to 6 weeks. Speak with your school for more residency information.
Why Earn Your Creative Writing Degree on Campus?
Attending a creative writing grad school may seem like the typical way to earn a graduate degree. Granted, there are many potential benefits to studying in the physical classroom. For example, consider some of the following reasons to attend a creative writing grad school.
- You could attend workshop classes in-person. This way, you could hear feedback on your piece from your peers face-to-face and ask for clarification.
- Speaking of your peers, your classmates might be a great resource to have on hand when publishing your own work. Taking classes with your peers could also be an opportunity to build contacts. This is important as networking could be a vital part of your professional writing work after graduation.
- Many programs offer students the chance to student teach creative writing at the undergraduate level during studies. This might be a perfect way to flesh out your professional, creative-writing resume.
Next Steps to Find a Creative Writing Grad School
To continue your search for a creative writing grad school, browse the links on this page. Clicking a link provides you with more information about a particular program. To refine your search, use the menus on this page. Good luck!
- Conway, SCConway, SC
Coastal Carolina University
Our Master of Arts in Writing provides project-based learning supported by an academic press, an acclaimed literary journal, and opportunities to teach college composition classes...
- Incline Village, NVIncline Village, NV
Sierra Nevada College
Join a program built entirely by writers, to guide authors organically through the exploration of their craft. SNC MFA-CW is a thorough preparation for a sustainable life of creation and publication...
- Asheville, NCAsheville, NC
Warren Wilson College
Highly participative program geared toward serious writers seeking a like-minded, professional community in which to grow and hone/explore their craft...
- Laramie, WYLaramie, WY
University of Wyoming
The University of Wyoming's MFA in Creative Writing is an intensive two-year degree in poetry, fiction and non-fiction.
- Vancouver, BCVancouver, BC
University of British Columbia
The Program of Creative Writing at the University of British Columbia offers a two-year course of resident study.
- Windsor, ONWindsor, ON
University of Windsor
- Milledgeville, GAMilledgeville, GA
Georgia College And State University
Most students complete the MFA degree in 3 years (a few in 2 years), taking both workshop and seminar courses and completing a creative thesis in one...
- Glasgow, United KingdomGlasgow, United Kingdom
University of Glasgow
The MPhil in Creative Writing is conferred jointly by the Universities of Strathclyde and Glasgow. The course is directed at those who are already eng...
- Orange, CAOrange, CA
The Department of English and Comparative Literature offers the Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing.
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
American UniversityUpcoming Start Date: May 28, 2019
The MA program in Literature at American University offers students challenging courses in a wide variety of areas, taught by outstanding scholars who...
- Washington, DC
- York, United KingdomYork, United Kingdom
University of Bradford
The MA in Creative Writing Practice is an innovative MA which will seek to support and enable the use of creative writing as a...
- Atlanta, GAAtlanta, GA
Georgia State University
The Department of English offers programs leading to the Master of Arts (M.A.) in English, with several specializations (literature in English, creative writing, and rhetoric and composition); the Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) in Creative Writing (poetry...
- West Long Branch, NJWest Long Branch, NJ
Monmouth University’s MA in English offers three distinct tracks, you can design a program to meet your goals: literature, creative writing, and rhetoric and writing...
- Boston, MABoston, MA
Nurture your creativity with engaged critical study and analysis of literature for children and young adults. Transformative works from folklore, fantasy, nonfiction, poetry, and realism set rich contexts to your developing vision and voice.
- Edinburgh, United KingdomEdinburgh, United Kingdom
University of Edinburgh
Based in the first UNESCO World City of Literature, this one-year taught Masters programme focuses on creative and critical skills in fiction or poetry, with a strong practical element and peer support.
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
The Graduate Creative Writing Program is intended to provide fiction writers and poets with an opportunity to develop their craft and extend the horiz...
- Kent, OHKent, OH
Kent State University
The M.F.A. in Creative Writing is a unique collaborative program that allows students to take advantage of faculty across four universities and to concentrate in the writing of poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction and playwriting.
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
University of Westminster
The English Language and Creative Writing MA allows you to explore the interconnections between your knowledge of how language is used and produced, and your literary compositions.
- London, United Kingdom
- Plainfield, VTPlainfield, VT
You have always been a writer. Inside you awaits the book or the play or the script — in other words, the creative project — that you have always dreamed of writing.
- Port Townsend, WA
- Huntsville, TXHuntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University
Gain practical experience and intensive instruction...
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
Founded at Naropa University in 1974 by Anne Waldman and the late Allen Ginsberg, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics comprises the Summer Writing program and the Department of Writing and Poetics, which administers the Master in Fine Arts in W...
- Boulder, CO
- Seattle, WASeattle, WA
Seattle Pacific University