Creative Writing Grad School
Attending a creative writing grad school could help you further develop your writing abilities. No matter the degree level, creative writing graduate schools may emphasize practical application of your writing skills and knowledge in workshop classes. As part of these classes, you and your peers could submit recent pieces for feedback. The classroom could be a welcoming support system for you to experiment with your work. Also, some programs may offer additional courses in literary studies to flesh out your understanding of the craft. A creative writing grad school may be a perfect way to practice your craft alongside like-minded authors and stretch your creative muscles.
Choosing Your Writing Style
As part of your creative writing graduate program school experience, you could have the chance to focus your studies on your preferred genre of writing. This way, you could dive into specific techniques, tropes, and literary criticism associated with your particular genre. As part of a program, you could have the chance to study some of the following.
- Young Adult Fiction
- Children’s Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction
- Literary Translation
Genres covered in the program may differ by school. Be sure to speak with potential schools for more information.
Different Creative Writing Degrees
Depending on your academic goals and previous academic experience, you could study creative writing at many different levels. Below is a brief overview of several types of programs offered by creative writing grad schools.
- Masters in creative writing degrees are holistic programs that combine academic study with practical application. Courses first focus on teaching about the art of writing. For example, they may teach critical analysis, literary adaption, and cross-genre writing. Students could also test their skills and knowledge
- in workshop classes. These classes require students to submit works in progress for feedback from professors and fellow students.
- Graduate certificates in creative writing are a shorter version of the masters program. Often, these programs place less emphasis on academic courses and more on workshops. This is a perfect program for students who want a quick introduction to writing. Or, this might be a great way to try out graduate courses before committing to a masters or doctorate program.
- Doctoral programs in creative writing, like the certificate programs, place their emphasis on the workshop experience. Students may be tasked with writing, editing, and publishing a completed work by the end of the program in lieu of a traditional dissertation.
Degrees offered may differ by school.
Creative Writing Grad School Residency Programs
Many creative writing grad schools require students to take part in a residency program. During these programs, students may live on campus while they focus on writing new pieces. Low-residency programs may last around 10 days. But, high-residency programs may last 2 to 6 weeks. Speak with your school for more residency information.
Why Earn Your Creative Writing Degree on Campus?
Attending a creative writing grad school may seem like the typical way to earn a graduate degree. Granted, there are many potential benefits to studying in the physical classroom. For example, consider some of the following reasons to attend a creative writing grad school.
- You could attend workshop classes in-person. This way, you could hear feedback on your piece from your peers face-to-face and ask for clarification.
- Speaking of your peers, your classmates might be a great resource to have on hand when publishing your own work. Taking classes with your peers could also be an opportunity to build contacts. This is important as networking could be a vital part of your professional writing work after graduation.
- Many programs offer students the chance to student teach creative writing at the undergraduate level during studies. This might be a perfect way to flesh out your professional, creative-writing resume.
Next Steps to Find a Creative Writing Grad School
To continue your search for a creative writing grad school, browse the links on this page. Clicking a link provides you with more information about a particular program. To refine your search, use the menus on this page. Good luck!
- Wilmington, NCWilmington, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington
- Malibu, CAMalibu, CA
Pepperdine's two year MFA program in Writing for Screen and Television trains students for a vocation as screen and television writers and prepares th...
- Carbondale, ILCarbondale, IL
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
- Austin, TXAustin, TX
University of Texas at Austin
- Adelaide, AustraliaAdelaide, Australia
University of Adelaide
This course is designed to enable writers in various literary genres to develop their craft to the highest professional standard.
- Camden, NJCamden, NJ
Rutgers University of New Jersey
A unique multigenre approach geared not only to help writing, but to prepare teachers on the college level.
- Toronto, ONToronto, ON
University of Toronto
This new MA program, launched in 2004-2005, draws both on the expertise of the faculty at the university and on the extraordinary vitality of Toronto'...
- Murray, KYMurray, KY
Murray State University
The low-residency MFA at Murray State allows student writers to work on their craft where they live while work-shopping their writing online or by tra...
- Bloomington, INBloomington, IN
The Creative Writing Program at Indiana University in Bloomington offers a Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) degree in fiction and...
- Wellington, New ZealandWellington, New Zealand
Victoria University of Wellington
- Anchorage, AKAnchorage, AK
University of Alaska - Anchorage
The MFA in Creative Writing is a professional degree designed to accommodate students needs.
- Salt Lake City, UTSalt Lake City, UT
University of Utah
- Wilkes-Barre, PAWilkes-Barre, PA
The Master of Arts in Creative Writing is a 30-credit, low-residency program with tracks in fiction, poetry, screenwriting, playwriting and creative n...
- Seoul, KoreaSeoul, Korea
Myong Ji University
The Graduate School was established in 1967 with 36 departments for the master's program and 27 for the Ph.D. program. A total of 2,416 degrees (2,050...
- Laramie, WYLaramie, WY
University of Wyoming
The University of Wyoming's MFA in Creative Writing is an intensive two-year degree in poetry, fiction and non-fiction.
- Vancouver, BCVancouver, BC
University of British Columbia
The Program of Creative Writing at the University of British Columbia offers a two-year course of resident study.
- Portland, ORPortland, OR
Portland State University
Portland State University's MFA in Creative Writing is a residency program offering concentrations in Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry.
- Bowling Green, OHBowling Green, OH
Bowling Green State University
The MFA Creative Writing Program at Bowling Green State University is a 40 hour, two-year program with a concentration in fictio...
- Tucson, AZTucson, AZ
University of Arizona
The University of Arizona's Creative Writing Program offers a 36 unit M.F.A. degree.
- Garden City, NYGarden City, NY
An intimate program, Adelphi’s Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing offers unique hands-on experiences to meet with writers, agents, editors and arts administrators to learn firsthand about the professional life of a writer.
- Schaumburg, ILSchaumburg, IL
The Roosevelt MFA in Creative Writing strives to provide its students with the best in creative teaching provided by instructors with strong credentia...