Creative Writing Grad School
Attending a creative writing grad school could help you further develop your writing abilities. No matter the degree level, creative writing graduate schools may emphasize practical application of your writing skills and knowledge in workshop classes. As part of these classes, you and your peers could submit recent pieces for feedback. The classroom could be a welcoming support system for you to experiment with your work. Also, some programs may offer additional courses in literary studies to flesh out your understanding of the craft. A creative writing grad school may be a perfect way to practice your craft alongside like-minded authors and stretch your creative muscles.
Choosing Your Writing Style
As part of your creative writing graduate program school experience, you could have the chance to focus your studies on your preferred genre of writing. This way, you could dive into specific techniques, tropes, and literary criticism associated with your particular genre. As part of a program, you could have the chance to study some of the following.
- Young Adult Fiction
- Children’s Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction
- Literary Translation
Genres covered in the program may differ by school. Be sure to speak with potential schools for more information.
Different Creative Writing Degrees
Depending on your academic goals and previous academic experience, you could study creative writing at many different levels. Below is a brief overview of several types of programs offered by creative writing grad schools.
- Masters in creative writing degrees are holistic programs that combine academic study with practical application. Courses first focus on teaching about the art of writing. For example, they may teach critical analysis, literary adaption, and cross-genre writing. Students could also test their skills and knowledge
- in workshop classes. These classes require students to submit works in progress for feedback from professors and fellow students.
- Graduate certificates in creative writing are a shorter version of the masters program. Often, these programs place less emphasis on academic courses and more on workshops. This is a perfect program for students who want a quick introduction to writing. Or, this might be a great way to try out graduate courses before committing to a masters or doctorate program.
- Doctoral programs in creative writing, like the certificate programs, place their emphasis on the workshop experience. Students may be tasked with writing, editing, and publishing a completed work by the end of the program in lieu of a traditional dissertation.
Degrees offered may differ by school.
Creative Writing Grad School Residency Programs
Many creative writing grad schools require students to take part in a residency program. During these programs, students may live on campus while they focus on writing new pieces. Low-residency programs may last around 10 days. But, high-residency programs may last 2 to 6 weeks. Speak with your school for more residency information.
Why Earn Your Creative Writing Degree on Campus?
Attending a creative writing grad school may seem like the typical way to earn a graduate degree. Granted, there are many potential benefits to studying in the physical classroom. For example, consider some of the following reasons to attend a creative writing grad school.
- You could attend workshop classes in-person. This way, you could hear feedback on your piece from your peers face-to-face and ask for clarification.
- Speaking of your peers, your classmates might be a great resource to have on hand when publishing your own work. Taking classes with your peers could also be an opportunity to build contacts. This is important as networking could be a vital part of your professional writing work after graduation.
- Many programs offer students the chance to student teach creative writing at the undergraduate level during studies. This might be a perfect way to flesh out your professional, creative-writing resume.
Next Steps to Find a Creative Writing Grad School
To continue your search for a creative writing grad school, browse the links on this page. Clicking a link provides you with more information about a particular program. To refine your search, use the menus on this page. Good luck!
- Manchester, NHManchester, NH
New Hampshire Institute of Art
NH Institute of Art offers Master of Fine Arts in Visual Arts, Photography, Creative Writing and Writing for Stage and Screen.
- Stillwater, OKStillwater, OK
Oklahoma State University
Founded in 1975, our creative writing program is an integral part of an English department committed to diversity in its...
- Ames, IAAmes, IA
Iowa State University
The creative writing program at Iowa State offers promising writers a broad range of courses and a collegian atmosphere suited to rigorous work and st...
- Providence, RIProvidence, RI
- Kent, OHKent, OH
Northeast Ohio Master of Fine Arts Consortium
The Northeast Ohio Master of Fine Arts Consortium (NEOMFA) is an accredited degree program of four universities: Cleveland State University, Kent Stat...
- Lake Charles, LALake Charles, LA
Mcneese State University
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United KingdomNewcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
This innovative programme enables you to develop your own creative writing, teach writing or go on to further study of creative writing or literature.
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- Oklahoma City, OKOklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City University
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
New College of California
The New College Poetics Program is unique. Neither a conventional English Literature program nor a Creative Writing program, it combines aspects of bo...
- Lancaster, United KingdomLancaster, United Kingdom
- Winchester, United KingdomWinchester, United Kingdom
King Alfred's College
Students work together with tutors to learn more about the processes of writing, and to develop a crtical awareness of their own work.
- Normal, ILNormal, IL
Illinois State University
The graduate faculty in English includes nationally recognized professors in a wide range of fields. Master's degree students are placed in doctoral p...
- Glassboro, NJGlassboro, NJ
This M.A. program leads to a master's degree in writing, specializing in two areas, composition studies or creative...
- Tacoma, WATacoma, WA
Pacific Lutheran University
The Northwest's Premier Low-Residency MFA in Creative Writing. An innovative environment in which your work will flourish.
- Moraga, CAMoraga, CA
St. Mary's College Of California
The MFA Program is a two-year course of study in creative nonfiction, fiction, or poetry.
- Raleigh, NCRaleigh, NC
North Carolina State University
The Department of English offers a two-year studio/academic program in fiction or poetry leading to the MFA degree.
- Tempe, AZTempe, AZ
Arizona State University
- Prairie View, TXPrairie View, TX
Prairie View A & M University
- Columbia, ALColumbia, AL
University of Missouri - Columbia
The English Department offers two degrees in Creative Writing, the MA and the PhD. Both offer students the chance to participate in a series of intensive writing workshops, work closely with resident faculty writers, and pursue a wide range of studies i...
- Miami, FLMiami, FL
University of Miami
- Marquette, MIMarquette, MI
Northern Michigan University
The creative writing program offers three areas of specialization or tracks: fiction, creative non-fiction and poetry.
- Riverside, CARiverside, CA
La Sierra University
La Sierra offers the only Seventh-day Adventist graduate religion and ministerial training program in the western United States, drawing students from around the world to study on our campus...