United States Creative Writing Grad School
Attending a creative writing grad school could help you further develop your writing abilities. No matter the degree level, creative writing graduate schools may emphasize practical application of your writing skills and knowledge in workshop classes. As part of these classes, you and your peers could submit recent pieces for feedback. The classroom could be a welcoming support system for you to experiment with your work. Also, some programs may offer additional courses in literary studies to flesh out your understanding of the craft. A creative writing grad school may be a perfect way to practice your craft alongside like-minded authors and stretch your creative muscles.
Choosing Your Writing Style
As part of your creative writing graduate program school experience, you could have the chance to focus your studies on your preferred genre of writing. This way, you could dive into specific techniques, tropes, and literary criticism associated with your particular genre. As part of a program, you could have the chance to study some of the following.
- Young Adult Fiction
- Children’s Fiction
- Creative Nonfiction
- Literary Translation
Genres covered in the program may differ by school. Be sure to speak with potential schools for more information.
Different Creative Writing Degrees
Depending on your academic goals and previous academic experience, you could study creative writing at many different levels. Below is a brief overview of several types of programs offered by creative writing grad schools.
- Masters in creative writing degrees are holistic programs that combine academic study with practical application. Courses first focus on teaching about the art of writing. For example, they may teach critical analysis, literary adaption, and cross-genre writing. Students could also test their skills and knowledge
- in workshop classes. These classes require students to submit works in progress for feedback from professors and fellow students.
- Graduate certificates in creative writing are a shorter version of the masters program. Often, these programs place less emphasis on academic courses and more on workshops. This is a perfect program for students who want a quick introduction to writing. Or, this might be a great way to try out graduate courses before committing to a masters or doctorate program.
- Doctoral programs in creative writing, like the certificate programs, place their emphasis on the workshop experience. Students may be tasked with writing, editing, and publishing a completed work by the end of the program in lieu of a traditional dissertation.
Degrees offered may differ by school.
Creative Writing Grad School Residency Programs
Many creative writing grad schools require students to take part in a residency program. During these programs, students may live on campus while they focus on writing new pieces. Low-residency programs may last around 10 days. But, high-residency programs may last 2 to 6 weeks. Speak with your school for more residency information.
Why Earn Your Creative Writing Degree on Campus?
Attending a creative writing grad school may seem like the typical way to earn a graduate degree. Granted, there are many potential benefits to studying in the physical classroom. For example, consider some of the following reasons to attend a creative writing grad school.
- You could attend workshop classes in-person. This way, you could hear feedback on your piece from your peers face-to-face and ask for clarification.
- Speaking of your peers, your classmates might be a great resource to have on hand when publishing your own work. Taking classes with your peers could also be an opportunity to build contacts. This is important as networking could be a vital part of your professional writing work after graduation.
- Many programs offer students the chance to student teach creative writing at the undergraduate level during studies. This might be a perfect way to flesh out your professional, creative-writing resume.
Next Steps to Find a Creative Writing Grad School
To continue your search for a creative writing grad school, browse the links on this page. Clicking a link provides you with more information about a particular program. To refine your search, use the menus on this page. Good luck!
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
The Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics' Low-Residency MFA in Creative Writing is a two-year correspondence program running in Fall-Spring-Summer semesters over each of the two years of the program...
- Springfield, MASpringfield, MA
Western New England University
If you are looking for a program to take your writing to the next level, to help you fine-tune your craft, and gain insight into the world of publishing, explore the low-residency Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (Fiction)...
- Fort Lauderdale, FLFort Lauderdale, FL
Nova Southeastern University
Composition, Rhetoric, and Digital Media (M.A.)
Seeking a job in teaching, writing, publishing or digital media? NSU’s master’s degree in Composition, Rhetoric, and Digital Media can kick start your career with its multi-faceted curriculum that will prepare you for success in both the classroom and th...
- Conway, SCConway, SC
Coastal Carolina University
Our Master of Arts in Writing provides project-based learning supported by an academic press, an acclaimed literary journal, and opportunities to teach college composition classes...
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
University of San Francisco
The MFA in Writing program in the city of literary innovation, with genres in fiction, nonfiction and poetry.
- Huntsville, TXHuntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University
Gain practical experience and intensive instruction...
- Madison, NJMadison, NJ
Fairleigh Dickinson University
FDU’s low-residency MFA program in Creative Writing is ideal for students who want a more flexible academic schedule.
- Boulder, COBoulder, CO
Founded at Naropa University in 1974 by Anne Waldman and the late Allen Ginsberg, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics comprises the Summer Writing program and the Department of Writing and Poetics, which administers the Master in Fine Arts in W...
- Prairie View, TXPrairie View, TX
Prairie View A & M University
- Moraga, CAMoraga, CA
St. Mary's College Of California
The MFA Program is a two-year course of study in creative nonfiction, fiction, or poetry.
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
Mount Saint Mary's University
The Creative Writing Program trains passionate and talented writers who commit to crafting work of publishable quality...
- Mankato, MNMankato, MN
Minnesota State University - Mankato
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
The limited-residency MFA in Creative Nonfiction offers non-traditional students nationwide a rigorous and exciting graduate lev...
- Muncie, INMuncie, IN
Ball State University
If you could choose the ideal college--one that provided you powerful resources (world class faculty, facilities, technology, and academics) for perso...
- Boston, MABoston, MA
Creative Writing offers workshop experience from published professionals in the genres of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
New York University
For more than 20 years, the NYU Creative Writing Program has distinguished itself as a leading national center for the study of writing and literature...
- Tacoma, WATacoma, WA
Pacific Lutheran University
The Northwest's Premier Low-Residency MFA in Creative Writing. An innovative environment in which your work will flourish.
- Roanoke, VARoanoke, VA
This intense, MFA program in creative writing has one of the highest publishing records of any graduate school in the country.
- Long Beach, CALong Beach, CA
California State University, Long Beach
- Chestnut Hill, MAChestnut Hill, MA
Pine Manor College
The Solstice MFA Program offers degree concentrations in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction and writing for young people.
- Glassboro, NJGlassboro, NJ
This M.A. program leads to a master's degree in writing, specializing in two areas, composition studies or creative...
- Oklahoma City, OKOklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City University
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
New College of California
The New College Poetics Program is unique. Neither a conventional English Literature program nor a Creative Writing program, it combines aspects of bo...