Elementary Education Graduate Programs Online
Looking to expand your teaching methods in the classroom? Or perhaps you’ve only just decided that teaching is your passion. Either way, seeking an online elementary education graduate program may be a convenient, best first step towards earning an advanced degree.
Online Elementary Education Graduate Programs may focus on top general teaching pedagogy, curriculum development, or extracurriculars – scheduled on your personal timeline thanks to online coursework.
Elementary Education Graduate Program Online : Basics
Undergraduate degrees are required for teaching certification, so you may be asking yourself: why should I consider a graduate degree program? Here are some tidbits to show the potential advantages of earning an advanced degree:
- Some states require teachers to seek out advanced degrees to retain their teaching certificate.[i] Check your state’s guidelines to ensure criteria are met.
- Education administrators who have earned their master’s degree may wage premium of $23,000 over their colleagues who earned only a bachelor’s degree[ii].
- Educators with advanced degrees may have the possibility of advancing into instructional coordinator, administration leadership, or even principal roles.[iii]
Which Elementary Education Graduate Degree Program May Be Perfect for You?
Online Elementary Education Graduate Programs offer degrees for those at different points of their teaching career – search for one that may fit your lifestyle and schedule.
Master’s Degree Programs in Elementary Education
Criteria varies from school to school, but admission departments for elementary education master’s programs may require students to currently hold a 2.0 to 3.0 undergraduate GPA. You may also be accountable for submitting letters of recommendation, personal essays, CVs and resumes, and a professional teaching portfolio. Programs typically take between 1-3 years to complete, depending on the individual program and if the student taking a full-time or part-time course load.
As with requirements, the programs offered may vary by institution. Typical master’s degree programs in elementary education fall in three categories:
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) focuses on teacher preparation. Curriculum may include classes on core K-12 topics (math, science, etc.), teaching methods, and extracurriculars.
- The Master of Science in Elementary Education deals with the analytical aspect of education. Coursework may emphasize research implementation to improve education systems.
- The Master of Education in Elementary Education promotes addressing educational hurdles with new, inventive teaching theories and methods.
Doctoral Programs in Elementary Education Online
Doctoral programs are designed for students seeking an in-depth and intensive elementary education graduate program. Due to this intensity, admissions may require a GPA of 3.0 to 4.0 as well GRE scores. When considering coursework and the completion of dissertation, students may expect to complete a program in 4 to 6 years. Program lengths vary by school.
Students seeking a doctorate degree program might consider the following options:
- Doctorate of Education in elementary education (EdD) degree programs rely on existing educational research to address pressing issues like literacy retention and teaching methods.
- A Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) may support students as they conduct new research to combat contemporary education issues.
Graduate Certificate Programs in Elementary Education Online
Graduate certificate programs are quicker programs, typically lasting between 1 to 2 years with program lengths varying by school. This may make the programs ideal for students who may not have an undergraduate degree in education. Coursework may differ with the intensity and time span of the program, but may include:
- Teaching theory & method
- Elementary academia
Students earning a graduate certificate may be held responsible for passing all state licensure exams. Be sure to check with your school to make sure all criteria are met.
Accreditation of Online Elementary Education Graduate Programs
Attending an accredited graduate degree program is not a mandatory step in obtaining a teaching certificate. However accreditation ensures that a program follows standard national guidelines for education. The U. S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation recognize the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) as a professional accrediting body for teacher preparation. The NCATE accredits schools, colleges, and departments of education in U.S. colleges and universities, as well as non-university entities that prepare educators for P-12 schools[iv.
Licensure After Elementary Education Grad Programs Online
Teaching licensure requirements vary from state to state. It may be important to not only know your own state’s requirements, but any state you’re considering teaching in. Some variations of criteria may be: acquiring advanced degrees, undergoing a set number of hours of educational courses, or no additional requirements besides a bachelor’s degree.[v] A great way to find your state’s requirements is through the state education department. Some programs may also offer comprehensive lists of state requirements.
Why Choose Elementary Education Online Graduate Programs?
Online elementary education degree requirements may offer a flexible alternative to those who may not have access to a nearby campus or require the convenience of signing into a course on their own schedule. Additional advantages to looking for an online degree program could be:
- Some schools may offer streamed lectures, course chatrooms, or even conference calls as part of their coursework. This way, you may be participating in part of the on-campus experience, and developing a peer community to interact with.
- In addition, schools may also offer access to their online libraries and databases for coursework and research.
- Choosing your own schedule with an online program could be very beneficial when currently teaching your own students!
Online Elementary Education Graduate Programs: Take the Next Step!
Gradschools.com may make searching for an online elementary education graduate programs easy as pie. Select your preferred program level (graduate certificate, master’s, doctorate) to narrow down your search results. With so many Online Elementary Education Graduate Programs options available, there may be a great program waiting for you on the world wide web. Find perfect Online Elementary Education Graduate Programs today!
Grand Canyon University
Liberty University Online
Slippery Rock University
Montana State University - Bozeman
American Military University