Information Science Graduate Programs Online
What are Information Science Graduate Programs?
Information Science graduate programs explore the world of informatics, computer and information systems, online research methodology and library science. A number of careers in the domain of information science require a graduate degree, so if you are a mid-career professional, the pull to earn a Graduate Certificate, Master’s or PhD in Information Science and related disciplines may be strong. If you need a flexible way to attend university while maintaining your job and other duties, distance-learning may be your perfect solution.
Online information science degree are offered in distinct perspectives that include computer science, information technology, management, research methods and strategies, and various ways to categorize information. Choosing to earn a degree online is a decision that may be made by undergraduates seeking a Master’s degree, or by Master’s degree graduates aiming for a Doctorate degree. For those interested in a shorter term, program, graduate certificates can add onto existing credentials or be a stepping-stone to a later Master’s degree.
Why Earn an Online Information Sciences Degree?
While the formats differ for online program formats in information science between universities, the one commonality is that course material is delivered via web-based technology. Students often do not have to go to campus at all (100% online programs) or may have some on-site class requirements, which are typically kept to a minimum. Many programs have sophisticated software that grants access to courses 24/7 once the material is posted by the professor. This allows some form of self-pacing and autonomy. Beyond the convenient format and portability of an online information science degree (have laptop and Internet, will travel), there are a few general reasons to consider the investment of time and energy in graduate school.
- Possibility of Higher Wages: In some business and STEM occupations, workers with a master’s degree earned a premium over workers with a bachelor’s degree; this is also the case with librarians.
- Possibility of Upward Mobility: Many organizations prefer candidates for management roles who have a graduate degree such as a Master of Business Administration (BLS).
- Possibility to Research: Many research science positions require a doctoral degree (BLS).
Information Sciences: Areas of Inquiry and Graduate Study
Information Science is considered interdisciplinary and explores different aspects of the information lifecycle. Living in a digital age, social media and the impact of technology and computer use means that various professionals are needed to work in development, programming, information security, database management, IT management, and research among others. Investigation within an Online Information Graduate Program will depend on the perspective of your degree, your ideal career path and other factors. Some of the areas of study might include:
- Information access – an area of research at the crossroads of informatics, information science, information security, language technology, computer science and library science.
- Information architecture – organization of websites, software and online communities
- Information management – management and distribution, data maintenance
- Information retrieval – the search process, metadata, databases, query streams
- Information seeking – practices of those looking to obtain information
- Information society – getting information from one place to another
- Knowledge representation – an area of artificial intelligence
Schools with Online Information Science Degree Programs
What are Types of Online Information Sciences Degree Programs?
Search for Online Information Science Graduate programs by degree level (Masters, Doctorate, Graduate Certificate) and by specialized subjects:
- Online Informatics Graduate Programs
- Online Information Systems Graduate Programs
- Online Library Science Graduate Programs
What are Online Masters in Information Sciences Programs?
Online Masters in Information Science programs can take between 1 and 2-years to complete and require a Bachelor’s degree in Information Science or a related field such as information systems, informatics, or computer science. These programs may have a technical computing, a business management or a development approach.
What are Online PhD in Information Science Programs?
Typically research intensive, online Doctoral degrees in Information Sciences may take an additional 4 to 5 years after you have earned a Bachelor’s degree. These programs tend to focus on advanced leadership training and making a research contribution to your field.
Take the Next Step
Graduate school is an opportunity to refine existing skills, leverage your strengths into career preparation and go more in depth into theory and research methodology. Start your journey; browse our sponsored directory listings of Information Science Graduate Programs Online to find options such as online Master of Science in Computer Information Systems and Doctor of Computer Science in Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format). There are many choices, and certainly each university has unique features; use the ‘request info’ tab to follow up with your prospective graduate schools and learn about their curriculums.
GradSchools.com offers 90 Graduate Schools with Information Sciences Graduate Programs online
University of Maryland Global Campus
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies
Illinois Institute of Technology
University of Alabama
Tarleton State University
St. Cloud State University
Inter American University of Puerto Rico
American College of Computer and Information Sciences