United States Information Science Degree Graduate Campus Programs
A number of graduate schools offer Information Science degree programs at the Masters, Doctorate and grad certificate levels. If you are someone who enjoys being present in the classroom, brainstorming with others, and learning in real-time, studying on-campus is likely a great fit. Whether you prefer the research and analysis of informatics, the business strategy that goes with managing information systems, or the classification and cataloging of library science, there are fascinating options within Information Science to choose from. Find accredited universities and colleges with Information Science Graduate degree programs using an easy navigation menu to choose your preferred city, state or country.
Inside an Information Science Degree Graduate Program
At the graduate level, an Information Science Degree essentially studies the processes of collecting, manipulating, storing, retrieving and disseminating information[i]. This in itself speaks to the interdisciplinary nature of the field. Academically, graduate students can look for a program that focuses on information science from the computer science, library science or information technology perspectives which is one of the reasons there are so many options.
DID YOU KNOW? “An information scientist is an individual, usually with a relevant subject degree or high level of subject knowledge, providing focused information to scientific and technical research staff in industry, a role quite distinct from and complementary to that of a librarian. The title also applies to an individual carrying out research in information science”.[ii]
Find a Graduate Certificate in Information Science
Looking for extra credentials? Not ready for an MIS graduate program but want to learn specific skills? Graduate Certificates in Information Science generally take less time than a master’s degree and offer targeted
courses to boost your knowledge.
Find a Masters in Information Science Program
Do you have a Bachelor’s in Information Science, information systems or computer science? Are you interested in management? Are you planning to pursue doctoral studies at a later date? Masters in Information Science programs may take around 2-years to complete and are offered in different formats such as the Master of Library Science, the Master of Science in Information Science and the Master of Business Administration with concentrations in your chosen field.
Find a Doctorate Information Science Program
Some Information Science PhD programs may be open to students with a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in their chosen field. These programs tend to prepare students for advanced research, scientific or academic roles and may take 4-5 years after an undergraduate degree[iii].
Types of Information Science Degree Campus Programs
When searching for graduate schools, it is important to know what level (masters, doctorate, certificate) as well as what type of Information Science degree you are seeking so that you can find accredited schools with strong programs in your academic domain.
A graduate degree in information science may mean different things at each university; some graduate schools have a library and information science department, so it is important to read through curriculum details to get the bigger picture. This may be the right type of program for you if:
- Are interested in scientific computing
- Want to learn advanced mathematics, computer languages and programming,
- Have an applied science and research background
- Are interested in informatics and big data
- Want to design databases, work in scientific informatics or research[iv]
Informatics graduate programs involve the practice of information processing and building of information systems. This type of degree in information sciences may appeal to you if:
- Are interested in designing and developing support systems, mobile application or 3-D animations
- Want to acquire tools to manage programming projects
- Desire to improve and use your computing skills and programming techniques
- Are interested in working in information technology and computing
As a specialized type of information science degree, information systems graduate programs may be a good fit if you:
- Are interested in making technology-driven decisions and assessments
- Enjoy preparing budgets and developing business strategies
- Want to fine tune your business analytics and data mining skills
- Are a project manager at heart
- Are interested in potential jobs such as computing services directors and management information systems (MIS) directors.[v]
Library and information science graduate programs may be a fit for you if:
- Enjoy studying media technologies
- Are interested in online research methodology
- Desire digital literacy
- Want to be able to work as a librarian[vi]
Guidelines for Selecting an information Science Graduate School
Choosing a graduate school is a process, for sure. You need to find a few schools to apply to, some may be slightly out of reach, some safe, some possibilities. A few tips to throw into the mix:
- Check out course curriculums to get an accurate read on what you would be studying or researching
- Read about what graduates of these programs are doing now with their degree
- Think about whether you want to study in a small town, a rural setting or a cityscape
- Look into faculty and what research projects they might be working on
- For library science graduate programs, look for accreditation by the American Library Association[vii]
- Grad School is a time to cultivate a niche for yourself, spend some time looking into various programs to see what lights your interests in terms of doing research or projects
- Think about the credentials you need to work in your chosen field and evaluate graduate information science degree programs with this in mind
Take the Next Step
You now have the tools to use the site with ease and clarity. Browse sponsored program listings that could include Flexible MBA-Information Systems, Master of Science in Analytics, Doctorate of Computer Science – Enterprise Information Systems, Master of Library Science, Library and Information Sciences M.S. and Advanced Certificate. Contact the universities on your list soon to find out about their unique features and how to enroll.
sources: [i] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_science#Information_scientist |[ii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_science#Information_scientist |[iii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm |[iv] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-1029.01 |[v] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-1029.01 |[vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-4021.00 |[vii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/librarians.htm
- Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO
Colorado Technical University
CTU’s Doctor of Computer Science with a concentration in Enterprise Information Systems degree program is designed for computer science professionals who would like to pursue leadership roles in the design, implementation and management of huge da...
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Greenwood Village, CO
- San Diego, CASan Diego, CA
- Huntsville, TXHuntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University
Gain hands-on experience with state-of-the-art facilities and partnerships on high-profile, sensitive, and classified projects.
- Madison, NJMadison, NJ
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Designed for present and future managers and developers of organizational information systems.
- Teaneck, NJ
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
The School of Information curriculum is designed to support our dynamic programs and to keep current and on the cutting-edge of developments in the information professions.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago
The MBA with Information Systems Concentration can help advance your career in the arena of information technology.
- Thousand Oaks, CAThousand Oaks, CA
California Lutheran University
This program is the perfect degree if you tend toward the technical and want a program with a significant business emphasis.
- Weston, MAWeston, MA
4 course graduate certificate in Health Informatics. Ideal for all health care professionals...
- Allendale, MIAllendale, MI
Grand Valley State University
This program is designed to make educational opportunities available to the professional computing community in West Michigan.
- Wilmington, NCWilmington, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington
This is an interdisciplinary program between the Cameron School of Business and the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Jonesboro, ARJonesboro, AR
Arkansas State University
The Arkansas State University MSISeC Program is an advanced technical degree program designed to prepare students to manage the information technology...
- Shreveport, LAShreveport, LA
Louisiana State University In Shreveport
The Master of Science in Systems Technology is an interdisciplinary program with components from the areas of computer science, management, and psycho...
- Columbus, OHColumbus, OH
Ohio State University
MAcc program is ranked among the top ten in the U.S.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
Pace University graduate programs combine theory learned in the classroom with the opportunities for practical professional education.
- Plymouth, ILPlymouth, IL
Plymouth State University
PSU's MEd in Library Media K-12 Certification will prepare you for a successful career in the school library setting.
- Cheyenne, WYCheyenne, WY
Warren National University
The Management Information Systems program at Kennedy-Western focuses on the development, maintenance and management of information systems.
- Chester, PAChester, PA
This AACSB-accredited program prepares students to design, use, and audit sophisticated accounting information systems, assess business risks associat...
- Chester, PA
- Boone, NCBoone, NC
Appalachian State University
The Masters of Library Science degree is for students interested in pursuing school librarianship and/or public librarianship.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
City College of New York, The
- Springfield, ILSpringfield, IL
University of Illinois - Springfield
- Rochester, NYRochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology
The advanced certificate program in database administration provides students with the knowledge and expertise needed to seek or further careers in database administration.
- Rochester, NY
- Rochester, NY
- Lincroft, NJLincroft, NJ
The Communiversity is an alliance of 8 NJ colleges and universities which brings undergraduate and graduate degrees to Monmouth County.