Fine Arts Colleges and Art Graduate Schools
Most Fine Art Universities offer unique on-campus fine arts graduate degrees where artists have access to many resources. For their artistic and networking endeavors, students might use facilities such as student studios, lounges, and exhibition spaces. To research and write, most fine art universities have libraries, labs, computer complexes, darkrooms, and studios. These factors, plus an art graduate school’s unique programs of study may help you narrow down where to go for your graduate degree in fine arts.
On-Campus Fine Arts Graduate Degrees
Fine Art universities offer Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Master of Arts (MA), and PhD level courses of study. Since not every fine arts school offers the same programs, you can start a search at the degree level. Degrees you can pursue include:
- The MFA degree is a top-level, professional graduate degree in visual arts. While for some it may be the continuation of a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), others might apply with a Bachelors degree, portfolio of work, and school-specific material.
- The DFA (Doctor of Fine Arts) is often more of an honorary award for a person’s contribution to the art world, but if you are interested in a research-based doctorate, PhD in Arts programs span art history and other disciplines.
- Graduate Certificates in Fine Arts offer thematic coursework that may provide take-away techniques or refine talents.
Choose an Area of Study in the Fine Arts
In what area of study do you want to earn your fine arts graduate degree? Fine arts universities offer unique program options, faculty you may want to mentor with, or internships in the local community (e.g. museum, art gallery etc.). Areas of study include:
- Visual Arts
- Interdisciplinary Arts
- Modern Arts and the Art Market
- Studio and Digital Arts
- Art and Culture
- Art History
Find Fine Art Universities by Location
Find fine art
universities that are walkable from work, a drive or train ride away, or a totally new adventure. Use the on-page tools to filter degree programs by city, state, or country. Then, contact the fine arts universities with one click. Paint a bright future with a fine arts graduate degree!
- Greensburg, PAGreensburg, PA
Seton Hill University
This one-of-a-kind program teaches writers to create – and market – the fiction that sells.
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
The Master of Arts in Art History program offers solid preparation for a wide range of professional careers and serves as a substantial foundation for...
- Cincinnati, OHCincinnati, OH
University of Cincinnati
The master's degree in Art History emphasizes a scholarly approach, and the degree may lead to further study toward the PhD, to college teaching, to m...
- Fresno, CAFresno, CA
California State University, Fresno
The Master of Arts in Art provides the opportunity for highly motivated art students to pursue study at an advanced level and attain a level of accomp...
- Adelaide, AustraliaAdelaide, Australia
- Sheffield, United KingdomSheffield, United Kingdom
University of Sheffield
An innovative and exciting programme that will develop your awareness of the most pressing challenges posed by social change, enable you to critically examine dominant policy responses to key aspects of social change at national, cross-national comp...
- Sheffield, United Kingdom
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Hartford
With dynamic, cross-disciplinary coursework at sites throughout the Americas, this MFA prepares artists to engage with the most pressing issues of our time.
- West Hartford, CT
- Nijmegen, NetherlandsNijmegen, Netherlands
The Master’s programme in Arts and Culture is taught at the Faculty of Arts. A different programme has been created for each specialisation so that it suits the particular angle of that Master's.
- Valparaiso, INValparaiso, IN
Careers in the production of the arts, leisure, and entertainment represent rapidly expanding sectors of the domestic and world economies. The 36-credit M.A. program in arts and entertainment administration prepares students for these careers, drawing upo...
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
Union Institute and University
Work one-on-one with faculty mentors to develop your own program of study.
- Sacramento, CA
- North Miami Beach, FL
- Cincinnati, OH
- Brattleboro, VT
- Laguna Beach, CALaguna Beach, CA
Laguna College of Art & Design
The primary vehicle for research in the MFA is Painting Studio or Drawing Studio, a nine-credit course taken each semester that consists of individual research in the studio with regular critical feedback through twice-monthly critiques with a faculty...
- Laguna Beach, CA
- Dayton, INDayton, IN
University of Dayton
Visual art educators have an excellent opportunity to obtain a Master of Science in Education with a concentration in art education at the University...
- Kingston Upon Thames, United KingdomKingston Upon Thames, United Kingdom
Identify & locate spaces in which to make and test your work in the public domain, through site-specific work, performance, etc.
- Kingston Upon Thames, United Kingdom
- Jersey City, NJJersey City, NJ
New Jersey City University
The MFA is a 60-credit studio art terminal degree program, requiring at least four terms for completion, which leads to creative and professional comp...
- University, MSUniversity, MS
University of Mississippi
The Department of Art at The University of Mississippi is committed to preparing graduate students to excel in creative production, research, educatio...