Fine Arts Colleges and Art Graduate Schools
Most Fine Art Universities offer unique on-campus fine arts graduate degrees where artists have access to many resources. For their artistic and networking endeavors, students might use facilities such as student studios, lounges, and exhibition spaces. To research and write, most fine art universities have libraries, labs, computer complexes, darkrooms, and studios. These factors, plus an art graduate school’s unique programs of study may help you narrow down where to go for your graduate degree in fine arts.
On-Campus Fine Arts Graduate Degrees
Fine Art universities offer Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Master of Arts (MA), and PhD level courses of study. Since not every fine arts school offers the same programs, you can start a search at the degree level. Degrees you can pursue include:
- The MFA degree is a top-level, professional graduate degree in visual arts. While for some it may be the continuation of a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), others might apply with a Bachelors degree, portfolio of work, and school-specific material.
- The DFA (Doctor of Fine Arts) is often more of an honorary award for a person’s contribution to the art world, but if you are interested in a research-based doctorate, PhD in Arts programs span art history and other disciplines.
- Graduate Certificates in Fine Arts offer thematic coursework that may provide take-away techniques or refine talents.
Choose an Area of Study in the Fine Arts
In what area of study do you want to earn your fine arts graduate degree? Fine arts universities offer unique program options, faculty you may want to mentor with, or internships in the local community (e.g. museum, art gallery etc.). Areas of study include:
- Visual Arts
- Interdisciplinary Arts
- Modern Arts and the Art Market
- Studio and Digital Arts
- Art and Culture
- Art History
Fine Art Universities by Location
Find fine art universities that are walkable from work, a drive or train ride away, or a totally new adventure. Use the on-page tools to filter degree programs by city, state, or country. Then, contact the fine arts universities with one click. Paint a bright future with a fine arts graduate degree!
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
California Institute of Integral Studies
An innovative interdisciplinary MFA program for a changing world.
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Hartford
This prestigious program is the ONLY Low Residency MFA in the country that is dedicated exclusively to Illustration.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
This program emphasizes the importance of direct contact with original works of art, and explores the history of art and the art market through the use of Christie's sale rooms and specialist staff...
- New York City, NY
- Columbus, OHColumbus, OH
Columbus College of Art & Design
The MFA focuses on individual artistic/design development and creative leadership.
- Brooklyn, NYBrooklyn, NY
The mission of graduate studies in the History of Art & Design Department is to provide students with the skills and knowledge to pursue careers as art and design historians and professionals in museums, galleries, and libraries, or to pursue graduate...
- Brooklyn, NY
- Arkadelphia, ARArkadelphia, AR
Henderson State University
The MSE-Art program's primary goal is to enhance the teaching performance of art personnel in the elementary and secondary schools.
- Multan, PakistanMultan, Pakistan
Buhauddin Zakariya University
- Lund, SwedenLund, Sweden
- Providence, RIProvidence, RI
Rhode Island School of Design
MAT: Master of Arts in Teaching, 1+ year...
- Aberdeen, United KingdomAberdeen, United Kingdom
Robert Gordon University, The
This course, which is applicable to graduates from both Fine Art and Design backgrounds, is based upon advanced independent studio practice.
- Auburn, ALAuburn, AL
- Bloomsburg, PABloomsburg, PA
Bloomsburg University Of Pennsylvania
The Master of Arts program in art studio emphasizes the development of creative and scholarly competencies in one or more of the following studio area...
- Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan
- Saint Charles, MOSaint Charles, MO
- Portland, MEPortland, ME
Maine College Of Art
The only graduate program of its kind in the U.S.
- Seoul, KoreaSeoul, Korea
Kyung Hee University
Founded in 1954, the Graduate School aims to produce true scholars who, through continuous study of advanced theories and their application to practic...
- Leicester, United KingdomLeicester, United Kingdom
- Memphis, TNMemphis, TN
Memphis College Of Art
As a studio intensive program, the MFA at Memphis College of Art offers a catalytic environment with the goal of developing artistic practices that co...
- Brisbane, AustraliaBrisbane, Australia
Queensland University of Technology
The Master of Fine Arts (Coursework) is designed for the development of artistic practice. The Master of Arts (Research) and PhD are research project-...