Fine Arts Colleges and Art Graduate Schools
Most Fine Art Universities offer unique on-campus fine arts graduate degrees where artists have access to many resources. For their artistic and networking endeavors, students might use facilities such as student studios, lounges, and exhibition spaces. To research and write, most fine art universities have libraries, labs, computer complexes, darkrooms, and studios. These factors, plus an art graduate school’s unique programs of study may help you narrow down where to go for your graduate degree in fine arts.
On-Campus Fine Arts Graduate Degrees
Fine Art universities offer Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Master of Arts (MA), and PhD level courses of study. Since not every fine arts school offers the same programs, you can start a search at the degree level. Degrees you can pursue include:
- The MFA degree is a top-level, professional graduate degree in visual arts. While for some it may be the continuation of a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), others might apply with a Bachelors degree, portfolio of work, and school-specific material.
- The DFA (Doctor of Fine Arts) is often more of an honorary award for a person’s contribution to the art world, but if you are interested in a research-based doctorate, PhD in Arts programs span art history and other disciplines.
- Graduate Certificates in Fine Arts offer thematic coursework that may provide take-away techniques or refine talents.
Choose an Area of Study in the Fine Arts
In what area of study do you want to earn your fine arts graduate degree? Fine arts universities offer unique program options, faculty you may want to mentor with, or internships in the local community (e.g. museum, art gallery etc.). Areas of study include:
- Visual Arts
- Interdisciplinary Arts
- Modern Arts and the Art Market
- Studio and Digital Arts
- Art and Culture
- Art History
Fine Art Universities by Location
Find fine art universities that are walkable from work, a drive or train ride away, or a totally new adventure. Use the on-page tools to filter degree programs by city, state, or country. Then, contact the fine arts universities with one click. Paint a bright future with a fine arts graduate degree!
- Rochester, NYRochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology
This graduate certificate is a training program for artists/ printmakers and printmaking teachers with undergraduate or graduate qualifications in art who want to gain a comprehensive working knowledge of non-toxic intaglio printmaking techniques...
- Rochester, NY
- Brooklyn, NYBrooklyn, NY
Pratt’s M.F.A. program in Fine Arts immerses students in the world of contemporary art supported by a faculty of working artists and community of peers, enriched by the abundance and inspiration of New York.
- Brooklyn, NY
- Columbus, OHColumbus, OH
Columbus College of Art & Design
The MFA focuses on individual artistic/design development and creative leadership.
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Hartford
This prestigious program is the ONLY Low Residency MFA in the country that is dedicated exclusively to Illustration.
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
This program emphasizes the importance of direct contact with original works of art, and explores the history of art and the art market through the use of Christie's sale rooms and specialist staff...
- New York City, NY
- Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan
- Ames, IAAmes, IA
Iowa State University
Students interested in graphic or interior design will enjoy access to contemporary studios, computer facilities, and a library of design publications...
- Lund, SwedenLund, Sweden
- Aberdeen, United KingdomAberdeen, United Kingdom
Robert Gordon University, The
This course, which is applicable to graduates from both Fine Art and Design backgrounds, is based upon advanced independent studio practice.
- Auburn, ALAuburn, AL
- Multan, PakistanMultan, Pakistan
Buhauddin Zakariya University
- Saint Charles, MOSaint Charles, MO
- Providence, RIProvidence, RI
Rhode Island School of Design
MAT: Master of Arts in Teaching, 1+ year...
- Arkadelphia, ARArkadelphia, AR
Henderson State University
The MSE-Art program's primary goal is to enhance the teaching performance of art personnel in the elementary and secondary schools.
- Russellville, ARRussellville, AR
Arkansas Tech University
M.L.A. - Fine Arts is for those interested in music, theatre, art and music appreciation...
- Portland, MEPortland, ME
Maine College Of Art
The only graduate program of its kind in the U.S.
- Palmerston North, New ZealandPalmerston North, New Zealand
- Oklahoma City, OKOklahoma City, OK
Oklahoma City University
Track Coordinator: Bruce Macella, Chair Art Department Norick Art Center (405)-208-5439 email@example.com Photography Concentration Prof. Jerry Stewa...
- Busan, KoreaBusan, Korea
Pusan National University
- Purchase, NYPurchase, NY
Purchase College - State University Of New York
The MA Program in Modern and Contemporary Art, Criticism and Theory at Purchase College offers a unique interdisciplinary approach.
- Purchase, NY
- High Wycombe, United KingdomHigh Wycombe, United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College
Design criticism;Furniture design and technology;Furniture design and craftsmanship;Restoration;Advertising;Graphic design;Illustration;Textiles;Ceram...
- Morehead, KYMorehead, KY
Morehead State University
The Master of Arts in Art degree is offered with major fields of study in studio art and art education.