Pennsylvania Campus School Counseling Graduate Programs & School Counseling Graduate Schools
Are you looking for graduate schools for school counseling? Interested in jumpstarting a new career as a school counselor, or enhancing an existing one through school counseling graduate programs? School counselors serve an integral role in a school community. Helping students with anything from applying for colleges to course selection to personal and social dilemmas, school counselors work with students on an individual and group basis to support a positive and healthy school environment. School Counseling Graduate programs may help to deepen your expertise in these areas.
Essentials of Choosing Graduate Schools for School Counseling
If you are interested in working directly within a student population, helping on an individual and group basis every day, in the school setting, a school counseling degree may be a good fit for you. Attending graduate school for school counseling may help to strengthen your expertise and enhance an existing career.
Campus-based school psychology graduate programs may have a number of benefits. Graduate schools for school counseling based on a brick and mortar campus may not only boast structured schedules, but also allow the student the opportunity to come a part of the campus community, taking advantage of valuable networking opportunities, interacting with faculty individually, collaborating with classmates, and more. You may even be able to utilize campus facilities like libraries, gyms, and technology labs, and services like career and academic support.
If this sounds like it’s a good fit for you, here are some things to consider when evaluating your options:
- Are you looking for a campus that is an easily commutable distance from home or work? Or would you prefer to attend your program in an exciting new location? If so, would you prefer an urban campus, a rural one, or suburban?
- Does the program offer the
- opportunities you are looking for? For example, you may need to complete an internship to earn guided, hands-on experience in the real world. Does your preferred program include this, or assist you in setting one up? Or are you interested in research opportunities?
- Do you have a preferred concentration area? If you are interested in working with a specific population (e.g. urban), age group, or disability type? Or do you want to learn more about a specific role within the duties of a school counselor? If you have particular professional goals in mind, you may be able to find a program tailored to those goals or that allows you to focus your studies accordingly.
Types of School Counseling Graduate Programs
Once you have decided that traditional campus graduate school for school counseling is for you, you may find yourself having to choose a specific degree type. Here is a basic run-down of the types and levels of school psychology graduate degrees available.
Earn Your Master’s Degree in School Counseling
Within the spectrum of programs offering a master’s in school counseling, you may find yourself having to choose between several different types of master’s degrees. Each of these programs may have similarities as well as unique qualities that may support your professional and academic goals. Understanding the similarities and differences between them may help you to choose the perfect program in which to earn your master’s degree in school counseling.
M.A. and M.S. school counseling programs may have some similarities. The differences between these programs are likely to vary between programs and institutions. If you find yourself considering an institution that offers both of these programs, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Does one of these programs require a thesis? If you intend to continue your education at the doctoral level at some point, you may wish to choose a program including a research element and a thesis, as this may benefit you when applying for doctoral programs. Alternately, if you are looking for a terminal degree and focusing on applying your knowledge professionally, this may not be a priority for you.
- Do the programs have different focuses or perspectives? For example, at a given institution one may be more clinical in nature than the other, focusing on the science and application of psychology, instead of being more theoretical or research oriented, or taking educational perspective.
You may also consider a M.Ed. in school counseling. These programs may often be offered by schools of education, and as such may be likely to take an educational perspective or be oriented toward the educational professional who is moving into the school counseling space. If you are interested in or currently working in the field of education, this may be an option that interests you.
School Counseling Doctoral Programs
If you are looking into earning your doctorate in school counseling, you may have a number of options to consider.
Perhaps the most recognizable of these options is the Ph.D. in school counseling. Ph.D. programs may often be research-oriented, may sometimes have research or master’s thesis prerequisites, and have a wide variety of applications in the field.
Ed.D. and Psy.D. school counseling programs may also be in your consideration. Ed.D. school counseling programs may often be offered by schools of education, and may be designed with the education professional in mind, whereas the Psy.D., which may often be offered by schools of psychology, may have been designed with the practitioner of psychology in mind, and may be more clinical in nature.
School Counseling Graduate Certificate Programs
If you are not looking to complete a full school counseling degree program, but are still interested in graduate level education, a graduate certificate in school counseling may be a good option for you. Graduate certificates, frequently offered at the post-master’s level (but sometimes available for those holding bachelor’s degrees as well) may allow students the opportunity to study at a graduate level without enrolling in a full graduate program. These certificates may be focused on a specific concentration area, such as a particular population, age group, disability type, or professional role, and as such may be a good option for those who want to enhance their careers in a specific area.
Find the Perfect School Counseling Graduate Program Today!
If you’re ready to find your perfect on campus school counseling graduate program, GradSchools.com is here to help. Simply select the appropriate level (master’s, doctorate, certificate) to filter the list according to your preferences. You may also filter by location by choosing your preferred country, state, and city. Then begin reading up on programs and even reach out to them for more information or to get started. If you’re ready to earn your graduate degree or certificate in school counseling, don’t wait any longer. Get started today!
- Edinboro, PAEdinboro, PA
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
Provides a high quality learning experience that prepares graduate students to work in a variety of collegiate/academic settings...
- Indiana, PAIndiana, PA
Indiana University Of Pennsylvania
Prepares students to become counselors in elementary and secondary school settings.
- Scranton, PAScranton, PA
The University of Scranton
The University of Scranton is an urban Jesuit school located in northeastern Pennsylvania (USA). The institution enrolls about 5,000 students, 750 of...
- Villanova, PAVillanova, PA
Two tracks are offered: Clinical Mental Health or School Counseling.
- University Park, PAUniversity Park, PA
Pennsylvania State University
Counselor Education at Penn State consists of two graduate programs within the College of Education offering professional preparation at the master's...
- Gwynedd Valley, PAGwynedd Valley, PA
Gwynedd - Mercy University
- California, PACalifornia, PA
California University of Pennsylvania
Programs are available leading to either an M.Ed./and or Certification in Elementary or Secondary School Guidance or a M.S. in Community Agency Counse...
- Slippery Rock, PASlippery Rock, PA
Slippery Rock University
Master of Education in School Counseling Program prepares the student to function as a counselor, consultant, and coordinator.
- Lewisburg, PALewisburg, PA
Bucknell University's Department of Education offers two programs which prepare professionals who provide psychological services...
- Lancaster, PALancaster, PA
Lancaster Bible College
- Scranton, PAScranton, PA
Provides the students with skills for developing competencies in counseling, educational planning & career development.
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
University of Pennsylvania
The M.S.Ed. Executive Program in School and Mental Health Counseling is designed for working professionals embarking on...
- Millersville, PAMillersville, PA
The graduate programs in psychology and school counseling are designed primarily to train practicing psychologists and school counselors.
- Kutztown, PAKutztown, PA
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania
Our goal is to provide you with the curricular instruction and clinical experiences expected of counselors in the 21st century...
- Chester, PAChester, PA
The Master of Education program has a commitment to the development of advanced learning experiences that are appropriate to the needs of practicing p...