Student Affairs Development Graduate Programs

The field of education is constantly shifting, and student affairs graduate programs—sometimes referred to as student development graduate programs—may help professionals respond to those shifts. More specifically, graduate programs in this area may help professionals pursue positions in advising, counseling, management, administration, and other areas through which they can respond to students and administrations’ needs. Those needs—academic, personal, professional, and social from the perspective of the student affairs professional—may shift regularly as education’s politics, and structures shift. Professionals in this field may need to be prepared to respond to them. Student Affairs Graduate Programs helps professionals gain the tools and capacities they need to do so.

What is Student Affairs?

Student affairs is the collective of people and departments that create programming and provide services that promote student growth and development. Some areas of student affairs include advising, counseling, management, and administration. Within those areas are departments (typically) such as admissions, financial aid, counseling centers, advising centers, student activities, residence life, advocacy and support services, and developmental learning services. These are just some of the many areas and departments that may be housed in student affairs. Student affairs is typically designed to serve students while providing programming and services consistent with the mission of the school for which they work. Professionals in the field may have their eyes on providing support that promotes students’ intellectual, social, emotional, and even spiritual or psychological growth and development on campus and beyond. They often strive to create a campus experience—both for the individual and collective—that is inclusive, safe, and allows for effective education both in and out of the classroom. They may also manage the administrative components of the students’ experience (financial aid, admissions, and records, for example) that, when handled smoothly, promote student success. Professionals who have a graduate certificate or degree in student affairs often work as leaders or supervisors in the field (though not always) and may act as leaders, educators, trainers, counselors, advisors, planners, program developers, researchers, conflict negotiators, and in numerous other capacities. They often focus on social justice, effective communication, sound policy, and action that supports and promotes student success.

Who Might Pursue a Graduate Degree in Student Affairs?

For professionals who want to impact the student experience in higher education, student affairs graduate programs might provide a wonderful option. Whether at the certificate, master’s degree, or doctorate level, graduate degrees in student affairs may appeal to professionals who have at least some experience in education (whether in student affairs or another area of education) and want to pursue supervisory, management, or leadership positions in the field. They may also appeal to professionals in education who want to work in a particular area of student affairs and intend to use advanced education as a way to attempt to do so. Student affairs professionals, especially those who want to work in leadership, management, and other advanced positions, typically care deeply about student welfare and ensuring that students’ time on campus—both in and out of the classroom—is as safe, educational, and life-enhancing as possible. Furthermore, they may pay close attention to the mission of the institution and strive to provide programs and services that align with institutional goals, objectives, and promises. Despite their devotion to the institution, they often act as advocates for the students and may work diligently to protect and provide for students.

What Graduate-Level Programs in Student Affairs Are Available?

Student affairs graduate programs, which you might see referred to as student development or student affairs and higher education graduate programs, may be available at the certificate, master’s degree, and doctorate degree level. They may be offered in on-campus, online, or hybrid formats.

Certificate Programs in Student Affairs

Certificate programs in student affairs often appeal to professionals who work in student affairs and want to enhance their careers, knowledge, and skillset. They may learn about theories and practical applications on the job, and they might explore historical and philosophical contexts. They may also discuss trends and future projections in various areas of the discipline. In many certificate programs, students complete core and elective courses over the course of one year of fulltime study (though length of study varies on a program by program basis).

The Master’s Degree in Student Affairs

There are three types of master’s degrees students commonly pursue in the area of student affairs: the Master of Science (M.S.), the Master of Arts (M.A.), and the Master of Education (Ed.M.). These master-level programs may help professionals pursue leadership, management, and supervisory positions in student affairs. They may also help professionals focus their knowledge in a particular area of student affairs such as advising, advocacy, counseling, management, administration, or others. In many cases, students pursue their student affairs degree over the course of one to two years of fulltime study. At the conclusion of their program, they might take a comprehensive exam, write and defend a thesis, or complete an internship.

The Doctorate Degree in Student Affairs

Students commonly pursue two types of doctorate degrees in student affairs: the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and the Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.). Each of these degrees could help professionals pursue leadership, supervisor, or management positions in student affairs. They could also help professionals prepare for work as researchers or analysts (for example) in particular areas of student affairs. The Ph.D. may also help professionals pursue work as teachers and researchers at higher education institutions. While the Ph.D. may be research intensive and focus on theories in areas of student affairs, the Ed.D. may emphasize practical application. The precise intention and curricula of a doctorate-level student affairs degree ultimately depends on the particular program. In most cases, students pursue their doctorate degree over the course of three to six years of fulltime study. They might conclude their program by writing and defending a dissertation or taking a comprehensive exam. Depending on the program, they might also complete field work or student teaching.

What Might I Study in a Student Affairs Graduate Program?

In certificate, master’s degree, and doctorate degree programs in student affairs, students typically take a combination of core and elective courses. Together, those courses commonly deliver information about theories, applications, and contexts within student affairs and may also help students specialize their knowledge in particular areas. Between their core and elective classes, students may explore subjects such as:
  • History and philosophy of higher education and student affairs
  • Student affairs administration
  • Student advocacy
  • Student development
  • Campus programming
  • Politics, sociology, and economics of higher education
  • Social, economic, and political issues amongst students
  • Research methodologies and analysis
  • Ethnographic research and programming
  • Student and campus diversity
These are just some of the many subjects you might study in a student affairs graduate programs.

How Can I Find Student Affairs Graduate Programs?

Just below you’ll find a list of student affairs programs that offer certificates, master’s degrees, and doctorate degrees. You can begin your search there, or you use our search tool to refine your search by level, format, or location. Once you’ve found a program you like, contact them through our website to request additional information. We wish you luck as you pursue your advanced education in this exciting field!
Read Less

Did you mean to Limit Your Search to San Diego ?

Expanding your search nationwide can vastly improve your odds of finding the perfect Student Affairs & Development degree

Show Me Student Affairs & Development Programs Nationwide!
  • Accredited online university.
  • Capella University offers doctoral programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession.
  • Competency-based curriculum delivers both foundation knowledge and real-world skills, so that what you’re learning in your courses is immediately applicable to your career goals.
  • Grand Canyon University