Iowa On Campus Art Therapy Graduate Programs & Schools
Are you interested in finding Art Therapy Graduate Schools in a specific city, state, or country? Most accredited Art Therapy Schools provide the coursework needed for graduate students to prepare for licensure in counseling and art therapy.
Art therapy graduate students are studying the mental health profession to learn how to help people heal through the creative process. They study a blend of visual arts media, counseling, and psychotherapy. Consequently, campus-based art therapy degrees might provide the most studio time and help students develop their interpersonal and effective communication skills.i
Getting an Education in Art Therapy
To pursue a career in the field, students need to graduate with a Masters degree in Art Therapy and may be required to follow with clinical hours or residency. The minimum requirements for art therapy students are determined by the American Art Therapy Association (AATA). Accredited art therapy schools often follow the standards set by the Education Program Approval Board (EPAB) of the AATA.ii These tend to include both theory and practice. For instance, students in campus art therapy programs might engage in role play or experiments with fellow classmates. Coursework may include:
- Theories of art therapy
- Counseling and psychotherapy
- Ethics and professional conduct
- Assessment and evaluation methods
- Individual and group counseling techniques
- Human and creative development
- Multicultural issues
- Research methods
- Internship experiences
Types of Art Therapy Degrees
Art Therapy Graduate Schools may offer Masters and/or PhD Art Therapy degrees. Graduates of Art Therapy Masters programs might then work towards several credentials.
- Registered art therapists (ATR) have completed a graduate program in art therapy and a period of post graduate supervised experience
- Board certified (ATR-BC) status is granted to ATRs who pass a written exam and maintain through continued education. A post masters certificate in art therapy might help meet this objective.
- A post masters certificate in art therapy might help fulfill this aspect. Certified Supervisor Credential (ATCS) may be offered to ATR-BCs who have shown leadership. The PhD in Art Therapy might prepare candidates with the research and supervisory aspects to seek this status.
Find Accredited Art Therapy Schools
Regionally accredited graduate art therapy schools may also have art therapy degrees that are accredited by the Council for Accreditation and Related Educational Program (CACREP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in conjunction with the AATA.
Take the Next Step
Easily find art therapy schools by degree level as well as narrow your search for art therapy graduate programs by city, state, or country. Compare programs and locations, then send off a form to request info from the schools on your list. Take the next step soon!
[i] onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1125.01 | [ii] arttherapy.org/upload/aatafactsheet.pdf
- Iowa City, IAIowa City, IA
University of Iowa
The Music Therapy Program at the University of Iowa is accredited by the National Association for Music Therapy and provides those course requirements...