On Campus Art Therapy Graduate Programs & Schools
Are you interested in finding Art Therapy Graduate Schools in a specific city, state, or country? Most accredited Art Therapy Schools provide the coursework needed for graduate students to prepare for licensure in counseling and art therapy.
Art therapy graduate students are studying the mental health profession to learn how to help people heal through the creative process. They study a blend of visual arts media, counseling, and psychotherapy. Consequently, campus-based art therapy degrees might provide the most studio time and help students develop their interpersonal and effective communication skills.i
Getting an Education in Art Therapy
To pursue a career in the field, students need to graduate with a Masters degree in Art Therapy and may be required to follow with clinical hours or residency. The minimum requirements for art therapy students are determined by the American Art Therapy Association (AATA). Accredited art therapy schools often follow the standards set by the Education Program Approval Board (EPAB) of the AATA.ii These tend to include both theory and practice. For instance, students in campus art therapy programs might engage in role play or experiments with fellow classmates. Coursework may include:
- Theories of art therapy
- Counseling and psychotherapy
- Ethics and professional conduct
- Assessment and evaluation methods
- Individual and group counseling techniques
- Human and creative development
- Multicultural issues
- Research methods
- Internship experiences
Types of Art Therapy Degrees
Art Therapy Graduate Schools may offer Masters and/or PhD Art Therapy degrees. Graduates of Art Therapy Masters programs might then work towards several credentials.
- Registered art therapists (ATR) have completed a graduate program in art therapy and a period of post graduate supervised experience
- Board certified (ATR-BC) status is granted to ATRs who pass a written exam and maintain through continued education. A post masters certificate in art therapy might help meet this objective.
- A post masters certificate in art therapy might help fulfill this aspect. Certified Supervisor Credential (ATCS) may be offered to ATR-BCs who have shown leadership. The PhD in Art Therapy might prepare candidates with the research and supervisory aspects to seek this status.
Find Accredited Art Therapy Schools
Regionally accredited graduate art therapy schools may also have art therapy degrees that are accredited by the Council for Accreditation and Related Educational Program (CACREP) or Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in conjunction with the AATA.
Take the Next Step
Easily find art therapy schools by degree level as well as narrow your search for art therapy graduate programs by city, state, or country. Compare programs and locations, then send off a form to request info from the schools on your list. Take the next step soon!
[i] onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1125.01 | [ii] arttherapy.org/upload/aatafactsheet.pdf
- Emporia, KSEmporia, KS
Emporia State University
Master of Science in Art Therapy Counseling.
- Brooklyn, NYBrooklyn, NY
By educating art and dance therapy students to become accomplished clinicians, graduates of the Creative Arts Therapy department help individuals with mental health issues reach their full potential.
- Iowa City, IAIowa City, IA
University of Iowa
The Music Therapy Program at the University of Iowa is accredited by the National Association for Music Therapy and provides those course requirements...
- La Jolla, CALa Jolla, CA
University of California - San Diego
- Churchlands, AustraliaChurchlands, Australia
Edith Cowan University
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
We are the only institution in the UK offering all of the arts and play therapies.
- Melbourne, AustraliaMelbourne, Australia
- Melbourne, AustraliaMelbourne, Australia
La Trobe University
The Art Therapy program combines art and therapy in a theory-based framework, which uses any form of visual art for creative self-expression through s...
- Milwaukee, WIMilwaukee, WI
Mount Mary College
Degrees available for women and men. Must have an undergraduate degree in a related field.
- Montclair, NJMontclair, NJ
Montclair State University
Leads to qualification to sit for the examination to become a Board-Certified Music Therapist (MT-BC).
- Louisville, KYLouisville, KY
University of Louisville
The Art Therapy program at U of L offers a fundamental understanding of psychotherapeutic approaches at both the verbal and non-verbal levels.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Columbia College Chicago
Columbia College Chicago’s Dance/Movement Therapy & Counseling, MA program is geared toward those with a passion for dance...
- Fort Collins, COFort Collins, CO
Colorado State University
In this MM in Music Therapy students gain knowledge in neurological sciences, music, research, and evidence-based practice.
- Santa Fe, NMSanta Fe, NM
Holistic, Soul-Based Art Therapy/Counseling. Art-making with clinical training. Eligible for Licensure in AT AND Counseling.
- Musselburgh, United KingdomMusselburgh, United Kingdom
Queen Margaret University
Art therapists help clients access their own image-making abilities.
- Nelson, BCNelson, BC
Kutenai Art Therapy Institute
We offer a post-baccalaureate training program in Art Therapy, which integrates Art Therapy theory, practice and research.
- Greensburg, PAGreensburg, PA
Seton Hill University
Seton Hill's Master Degree in Art Therapy helps students combine a passion for art & desire to help others to build a career.
- Dallas, TXDallas, TX
Southern Methodist University
- San Diego, CASan Diego, CA
San Diego University For Integrative Studies
The Expressive Arts Therapy Program at SDUIS is designed to provide participants with a holistic and culturally enriched perspective about facilitatin...
- Winchester, VAWinchester, VA
Master of Music Therapy The Master of Music Therapy Degree prepares music therapy practitioners for advanced clinical work with specific populations,...
- Fort Worth, TXFort Worth, TX
Texas Wesleyan University
- Edwardsville, ILEdwardsville, IL
Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville
The Department of Art and Design, a component of the College of Arts and Sciences, offers a Master of ArtsDegree in Art Therapy...
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
School of The Art Institute Of Chicago
Recognized as an innovator in the arts since its inception more than 100 years ago...
- Bronxville, NYBronxville, NY
Sarah Lawrence College
Dance/movement therapy is the psychotherapeutic use of movement to further the emotional, cognitive,...
- Springfield, MASpringfield, MA
Art Therapy is a two-year program designed to educate art therapists through a course of study that combines theory and practice leading to vocational...