Online Communications Graduate Schools
Online journalism graduate programs aim to teach the art of communicating ideas to any audience. Some online journalism and communications programs focus on creating top content for specialties like broadcast journalism, photojournalism, or local reporting. Others might look at journalism as a whole and survey multiple types of writing. Communications programs might also examine related topics like social media, blogging, business writing, and more. This might allow you to explore even more best ways to use your writing skills and knowledge professionally.
Online Journalism Graduate Programs Basics
Online journalism graduate programs focus on the creative and technical parts of writing. Courses look at the writing process, from researching and writing a story to sharing it in an engaging way. If you’re just taking your first steps into the journalism and communications arena, this could create a basic foundation of skills and knowledge. Programs might also help build a solid portfolio under the guidance of seasoned instructors.
But what if you’re already an experienced professional? Earning an online degree in journalism or communication could still be a valuable option. Journalism graduate programs might enable you to learn more about a different work area. For example, programs could look at the technical side of running a news website or publication. They could also explore important legal and policy issues related to journalism or communications. Or you could even choose to focus on the basics, strengthening your skills to become a better writer.
For a broader approach, online communications graduate programs examine these and other writing areas in a variety of contexts. Some programs focus on writing for business or marketing purposes. This could include things like email campaigns and formal presentations. Others might look at social media and how to use it effectively. Some programs even cover all of the above, aiming to create a more cohesive understanding of the field.
Online Communications and Journalism Graduate Programs Specialties
Whether you’re focused on journalism or mass communication, each could include many different kinds of writing. While some programs aim to survey writing across the board, others hone in on one specific area. That way, they could dive deep into that particular topic. Some students may prefer this, especially if it reflects their career goals.
Here are some examples of the kinds of specialities you might find.
- Magazine Writing: This could include features writing, editorials, or other forms of print journalism, like you might find in print newspapers and tabloid style publications. In some cases this could also overlap with local reporting.
- Digital Journalism: These programs examine working in an online space. From writing blogs to social media, programs look at the impact of technology on how readers interact with content.
- Business Writing: This broad category could involve anything from B2B marketing to internal communications. Programs might also focus on creating effective business presentations, writing proposals, and more.
- Broadcast Journalism: These programs examine writing for TV broadcast. Courses might cover video production, writing and delivering news to the camera, and even explore digital video streaming.
Online Journalism Degree Potential Course Topics
Of course, one integral aspect of what makes graduate online journalism degree programs great is what they teach. Some of this could be influenced by the type of program you choose. For example, a communications program focused on business writing might have different qualities than a photo-journalism or broadcast journalism program. Despite these potential differences, online communication graduate programs could share a number of essential course topics.
Here are some examples of the types of things your program might cover.
- Media Ethics: Whether you’re an aspiring journalist or work in corporate communications, media ethics and policy could be important knowledge. Online journalism schools look at subjects ranging from the ethics of news writing, to topics like copyright law, libel, and even protecting your sources.
- Writing and Editing: Communications programs may place a heavy focus on writing and editorial skills. This could include grammar, the AP style, research and interview tactics, fact checking, different types of content, and more.
- Multimedia: Media is constantly evolving. From short, online videos and livestreaming, to social media and blog content, online communications graduate programs cover this ever-changing field.
- Document Design and Layout: Writing solid content isn’t the only part of communication. Presenting that content well could help your work reach its audience. Journalism programs may look at elements like layout, print and web design, and build comfort with editorial software.
Remember that each program has unique course offerings and areas of focus. If you have certain needs and interests in this respect, reach out to your selected programs for more information about what they offer.
What to Expect in Online Journalism Graduate Programs
Online schools for journalism and communications use technology to deliver courses to your computer, tablet, or other internet-enabled device. This could be a unique learning experience for you. For one, you could take your courses with you where you need them. So you could pursue your education while chasing the next big story, or putting your new expertise into practice on the job every day. Many also allow you to attend class when it is best for you. This might make it easier to balance your current responsibilites with your academic ones.
Another unique benefit of studying communications and journalism online is that it could act as a demonstration of digital communication in action. You could see some of the concepts discussed in your courses in practice through your course module. This could be an opportunity to increase comfort with the digital space, potentially enhancing your graduate experience.
Types of Online Communications & Journalism Graduate Programs
When it comes to deciding which online communications and journalism graduate programs might work for you, you may have a number of options to consider. For one, do you want to study something specific, like print, photo-journalism or broadcast journalism? Or do you want a broader mass communications program? Do you want to hone your writing chops or learn more about the technical side of publication? Additionally, you should consider your past experience and the depth of study you seek. Whatever your passion, programs could be available to fit your needs.
In general, online journalism graduate programs could come at these levels.
- Online masters in journalism programs could support the budding writer and the experienced journalist alike. Programs are broader and could teach the basics of effective journalism and focus on building a diverse portfolio. Or they may be tailored to more specific interests or types of writing.
- Online journalism and communications graduate certificate programs tend to be shorter and more focused. They may be offered as masters and post-masters options. Online journalism graduate certificates could allow students to learn more about a specific topic within the field of communications without committing to a full degree.
Start Searching for Online Journalism Graduate Programs & Communications Graduate Programs Today!
Find your online journalism graduate programs today! GradSchools.com has collected a number of sponsored online communications graduate program listings for you to consider. If you want to narrow down your results, select your preferred program level using the menu. Once you’re ready, start reading about journalism and communications programs that match your criteria. Click on the names of the programs you might be interested in to read more or get in touch. Then you can ask questions, or even begin your application.
American University's online Master's in Strategic Communications program teaches you to plan strategic campaigns, craft persuasive messages, and effectively target different audiences.
California Baptist University
The online Master of Arts in Communication degree program (MAC) equips students with critical thinking and professional practice skills including social media strategies while challenging them to integrate biblical thought with contemporary communica...
Full Sail University
The changing world of journalism requires professionals to have an updated skill set to keep up with today’s media consumers. Full Sail University’s Online New Media Journalism Master’s Degree Program teaches the skills needed to re...
Liberty University Online
University of Southern California
A constantly changing business environment confronts organizational leaders with information and situations beyond their...
Ball State University
Ball State University’s master’s in journalism is an online program only that focuses on emerging media and literary journalism.
Clarion University Of Pennsylvania
In the 21st century, an advanced degree is a prerequisite for the best jobs in the communications marketplace.
- Boca Raton, FLBoca Raton, FL
Study new media delivery systems and the application of technology. Specialize in Digital Media or Media Studies and Practice.
Kent State University
The Kent State University master's degree in public relations is designed for students who wish to pursue careers in communication, ranging from...
The department offers the Master of Science (M.S.) in Applied Communication graduate degree.
Organizations need to create and deliver important information that communicate value, manage brands, and advance reputation.
Royal Roads University
At Royal Roads University you can pursue a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, or a full Masters of Arts degree focused on developing competencies...
University of South Florida - St. Petersburg
A fully online master’s from the Department of Journalism at the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg.
The Master of Arts in Managerial Communication prepares you to assess complex business challenges and implement...
Do you want to tell stories that make a real difference in the lives of others? Your career in journalism begins the moment you start taking classes in our on-campus and online Master of Arts in Journalism program which immerses students in th...
Northern Arizona University
Advance With A Master’s Degree In Applied Communication Earn your master’s degree in Applied Communications entirely online at Northern Arizona University and gain the skills and credentials to advance or change your career. Advance your skills in creat...
The online M.S. in Communications from the Newhouse School at Syracuse University will equip you with communications fundamentals and allow you to choose from three specializations.