Florida Masters in Web Design and Development Degrees and Programs
Masters in Web Design and Development Degrees and Programs Info
For the student who has a blend of fine arts and design skills combined with a passion for computer programming, a Masters in Web Design and Development Degree can lead to some interesting career options in an industry with a very positive job outlook.
GradSchools.com can make reviewing your options for a web design degree go smoothly. You can start with a locations search. Simply use the tabs to enter a popular city, state or country and you can determine where programs are offered. Then you can refine your search based on the learning format that works best for you. Are you interested campus based web design masters? If you are currently a busy adult or a working professional in the industry, you might prefer distance learning. If so, you can look into listings for online web design degree programs, or choose the hybrid format, a combination of on-campus and online coursework.
Under each program format, you can find listings for masters in web design and development degree programs. Typical education needed to become a web developer is an Associate’s degree in web design or related field although more technical positions ususally require a Bachelor's degree[i]. You can choose from different Masters in Web Design and Development degrees or look into a specialization degree such as a master of science in computer information systems – web application development.
What is Web Design and Development?
Web Development is a broad term used to define work that involves developing a web site for the Internet, or ‘world wide web’, as well as for private networks, called Intranets. Web development work can range from simple tasks such as developing a simple page of text to very complex tasks such as web content development, web design, client-side/server-side scripting, web server and
network configuration and e-commerce development.
Internet use has grown not only in the average household between computers and mobile devices and tablets, but also in the marketplace, as E-commerce. Most businesses, whether retail or wholesale, conduct transactions online, and have some kind of online presence through websites, social media and online marketing campaigns.
What can I learn in a Masters in Web Design and Development Program?
- Web design
- Database design and development
- Software programming
- Information security
- E-business processes
What does a Web Developer Do?
A Web developer designs and creates websites and is responsible for different aspects of websites. They are responsible for the creative look and layout of the site. Additionally, they are responsible for its technical aspects, such as its performance and capacity, which measure the website’s speed and how much site traffic there is.
Additional duties can include content generation, meeting clients, creating and debugging applications for the sites, and integrating different platforms onto the site.[ii] Some of the detailed work activities of web design and web development professionals include[iii]:
- Develop testing routines or procedures
- Evaluate utility of software or hardware technologies
- Prepare graphics or other visual representations of information
- Create databases to store electronic data
- Design websites or web applications
According to BLS data, employment of web developers is projected to grow 20% from 2012 to 2022, which is faster than average for all occupations.[iv] Industries with the highest levels of employment in this occupation include[v]:
- Computer Systems Design and Related Services
- Other Information Services
- Advertising, Public Relations and Related Services
- Management, Scientific and technical consulting service
- Management of Companies and Enterprises
Trends in web development and cyber security
- Web development takes into account many security considerations such as date entry error checking through forms, filtering output, and encryption[vi]
- Keeping a web server safe from intrusion is often called “server port hardening”[viii]
- In recent years, the number of cyber attacks has increased dramatically and in expected to continue to threaten information systems[vii]
- Antivirus programs, improved firewalls and other intrusion detection systems are common solutions to cyber attacks[vii]
What are the different types of Web Developers?
Some web developers handle all the aspects of website construction, while others specialize in a certain facet. The following are some types of specialized web developers[vii]:
- Web architects or programmers are responsible for the overall technical construction of a website, including basic framework and the establishment of practices which all others to add content
- Webmasters are responsible for maintaining websites and keeping them updated
What Skills Can I cultivate in Web design and Web development masters programs?
Some of the skills that web development professionals can cultivate might include[viii]:
- Programming: writing computer programs
- Critical thinking: identify strengths & weakness of solutions and strategies
- Operations analysis: analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design
- Active Listening: Meeting with clients to understand their needs and concerns
- Complex problem solving: to develop solutions
Ready to pursue a Masters in web design and development degree?
Employment of web developers is projected to grow as ecommerce continues to expand[iv]. With job prospects so favorable, earning a web design degree can potentially prepare you to meet the demands of the growing industry with the technical skills and education that you might need to excel in your job search, or jumpstart an existing career. Start reviewing the listings for Masters degrees
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm#tab-2 | [iii] onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1134.00 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm#tab-6 | [v] bls.gov/oes/current/oes151134.htm | [vi] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_development | [vii] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [viii] onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1134.00