Iowa Online Masters in Technology Degrees and Programs
Online Masters in Technology Degrees and Programs Info:
An Online Masters in Technology Degree might be a great academic choice for the student who is interested in the growth of data, fascinated by the uses of computers and other technological devices to solve both human and computer-generated problems. Whether you are approaching an online master’s in technology with the objective of jumpstarting an existing career in the industry, or you are hoping to be part of the evolving workforce in technology, begin looking into your options on GradSchools.com.
How To Find An Online Masters in Technology Program:
Technology degree programs can vary from school to school; the broad goal of masters in technology programs is to provide learners with up-to-date skills and knowledge in an array of technical areas.
Whether you want to develop the latest greatest app, fight cybercrime, collect and manage data or oversee a team of IT workers for a large corporation, the Technology industry has many potential career paths the future graduate might be interested in looking into. Determining an area that interests you may be a helpful way to focus your academic studies
For instance, some programs offer concentrations. If you have a keen interest, you might choose to study Geographic Information Systems, which explores geospatial design, development and analysis. Business intelligence Master of Science programs typically teach students how to interpret data and mathematical concepts into business context. Or, perhaps you are drawn to Computer Science and Software Engineering, and want to learn computer system architecture and how to develop software. Another idea that might appeal to you is a Master program in technology that focuses on Information Assurance and cyber security.
DID YOU KNOW?
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment
- of systems software developers is projected to grow 72% between 2010 and 2020![i]
- With the dramatic increase of cyber attacks the BLS projects employment growth in computer systems designs and related services.[i]
- Computer systems design and related services, from building cloud-computing to creating security applications, are constantly demanding and in high demand.[i]
- If your goal is to be prepared to pursue a technically complex job, earning a master’s in computer science may be appropriate.[ii]
- Keeping up to date with the latest programming tools may increase job prospects for computer programmers.[iii]
What Are Some Potential Advantages to Online Study in Technology?
Perhaps you are a working professional in the field of technology and you wish to refresh your technical education or abilities to potentially enhance your career. It is common, due to the technological advances that arise so quickly, that new proficiencies and education may need to be refined. The BLS reports that, in the case of computer systems analysts, ongoing study is necessary in order to stay competitive, and learn new and innovative technologies to keep their skills up-to-date[ii]. The online format can be a flexible and convenient way to maintain a balance between study and other factors in your life. Latest trends in technology software help keep students connected to other classmates and professors, as well as to online libraries and study tools. In this way, students do not have to spend time commuting and computing!
Potential Career Paths For The Masters In Technology Graduate
Students who have earned a Master’s in Technology might be prepared to pursue a variety of potential career paths. Some high-technology occupations are scientific, while others are technical or engineering oriented.[iv] According to BLS data, computer occupations form the largest portion of the industry, however, there are also managers, business and financial workers, and administrators, as different jobs help keep the IT world running efficiently.[ii] Some of these careers might include:
- Computer Systems Analyst[v]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently
- Computer and Information Systems Manager:[vi] often called IT managers, plan, coordinate, and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Database Administrator[vii]: DBAs use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information
- Computer and Information Research Scientists[viii]: invent and design new approaches to computing technology and find innovative uses for existing technology
- The four career paths that are identified by the BLS as having a high growth rate[i] are:
- Software Developers[ix] are the largest occupation in the industry[i]. From creating computer programs and mobile games to upgrading operating systems and designing software for cloud computing, this industry is projected to grow 22% between 2012 and 2022
- Computer Programmers[x] are writers of code that is used to create software programs. Job prospects are predicted to be better for programmers who have a bachelor’s degree or higher.[iii]
- Computer Systems Analyst[xi] study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help them operate more efficiently.
- Computer Support Specialists[xii] provide help and advice to people and organizations using computer software of equipment.
Ready To Pursue an Online Masters in Technology?
Computers affect so many dimensions of our lives. From ignition-less cars, consumer electronics, and cell phones, to online banking, we use technology for so many tasks. In order to maintain networks, create new software, and ensure that sensitive data is secure from cyber attacks, the work force must meet evolving demands.
Perhaps you are dreaming of developing the latest greatest app or mobile game. Maybe you hope to stop computer viruses in their tracks and work to fight cyber crime. Or, maybe you have leadership and administrative training and aspire to manage a team of IT workers for a large corporation. If so, the Technology industry might offer many potential career paths for the future graduate to look into. Find the Online Master’s in Technology graduate program, possibly one at your own pace that could potentially help you reach your academic and vocational goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm#tab-6 | [iv] bls.gov/mlr/1999/06/art3full.pdf | [v] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [xi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [xii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm
Iowa State University
100% Online Graduate Certificate and Masters Degree in Information Assurance. The Information Assurance Graduate Certificate consists or 12 credit hours, while the Masters Degree consists of 30 credit hours. Course delivery methods include live and arch...