Canada Masters in Technology on Campus Degrees and Programs
Masters in Technology on Campus Degrees and Programs Info:
In some ways, a Masters in Technology on Campus Degree can be seen as an umbrella term for different aspects of the industry. From computer science, to big data, cybersecurity and information technology, there is broad range of technology degrees that may be available. Earning your master’s in technology may be a great academic choice for the student who is driven by mathematics and data, or captivated by the uses of computers and other technological devices. Whether you are interested in pursuing a master’s in technology with the purpose of adding knowledge to an existing career in the industry, or you want to be part of the next generation of an evolving workforce in technology, you can begin looking into your degree options on GradSchools.com.
What could I Learn in A Masters in Technology on Campus Program?:
Masters in Technology on Campus degree programs can vary from school to school; the general aim of masters in technology on campus programs is to provide learners with up-to-date proficiencies and knowledge in an array of technical areas. Some of these areas may include health care management, business administration and project management, advanced computer science and cloud computing, software development, network administration, geographic information systems, information technology and cyber security. Depending on your own personal end goal, you might be able to choose a degree program that may potentially prepare you to pursue a career in that specific field, or choose a more general program.
Education Paths in Technology and Potential Future Careers:
Different career paths may have different education and experience requirements. In the case of a system’s analyst, most have a bachelor’s in a computer-related field, and some employers prefer applicants who
have an MBA with a concentration in information systems. For some of the more technical jobs, it may be more suitable to have a master’s in computer science[i]. Here are a few more education-related facts from the Bureau Of Labor Statistics:
- Some businesses require that network and computer systems administrators earn a master’s degree, and companies may require their network and computer systems administrators to become certified in the product they use.[ii]
- In the case of computer hardware engineers, some large firms or specialized jobs require a master’s degree in computer engineering, and some experienced engineers obtain a master’s degree in business administration[iii]
- Most computer and information research scientists require a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field, such as computer engineering.[iv]
- If your goal is to be prepared to look for a technically complex job, earning a master’s in computer science may be appropriate.[i]
If you want to develop the latest greatest app, fight cybercrime, collect and manage data or a team of IT workers for a large corporation, the Technology industry might offer interesting career paths for the future graduate to look into.
What Are Some Potential Advantages to Campus Study in Technology?
If you want the traditional college experience, finding an accredited school is easy on GradSchools.com. You can search by location, using the city, state, or country tabs to browse results, or just peruse the listings. A college campus graduate program in technology can be a great way to interact with classmates, peers, and professors. You can potentially build new networks, join activities, and have access to campus amenities, such as libraries, computer laboratories, and even the athletic facilities. You may need to stretch a bit, you will be spending long hours at a computer!
What Is The Job Outlook For The Masters in Technology on Campus Graduates?
Students who have earned a Master’s in Technology might be prepared to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of career paths. Some high-technology occupations are scientific, while others are technical or engineering oriented.[v] Here are some interesting facts about the projected job outlook for occupations in technology, according to BLS reports:
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment of systems software developers is projected to grow 72% between 2010 and 2020![vi]
- With the dramatic increase of cyber attacks the BLS projects employment growth in computer systems designs and related services.
- Computer systems design and related services, from building cloud-computing to creating security applications, are constantly demanding and in high demand[vi]
While computer occupations form the largest portion of the technology industry, there are also managers, business and financial workers, and administrators, as different jobs help keep the IT world running efficiently.[i] Some of the potential career paths for graduates holding master’s in technology might include:
- Computer Systems Analyst[vii]: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently
- Computer and Information Systems Manager:[viii] often called IT managers, plan, coordinate, and direct computer-related activities in an organization
- Database Administrator[ix]: DBAs use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information
- Computer and Information Research Scientists:[x] invent and design new approaches to computing technology and find innovative uses for existing technology
The four career paths that are identified by the BLS as having a high growth rate[xi] are:
- Software Developers are the largest occupation in the industry. From creating computer programs and mobile games to upgrading operating systems and designing software for cloud computing, this industry is projected to grow 22% between 2012 and 2022
- Computer Programmers[xii] are writers of code that is used to create software programs. Job prospects are predicted to be better for programmers who have a bachelor’s degree or higher.[xii]
- Computer Systems Analyst[vii] study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help them operate more efficiently.
- Computer Support Specialists[xi] provide help and advice to people and organizations using computer software of equipment.
Ready To Pursue a Masters in Technology on Campus Degree?
Not only do computers affect many dimensions of our personal lives, but they are also touch more and more industries and products. Mobile games, apps, ignition-less cars, consumer electronics, cell phones, medical records and online banking are only a few of the uses of technology that we witness and use. With the high demand for services provided in the technology industry, a large number of fast-growing and jobs are being created.[xiii]
In order to maintain networks, create new software, and ensure that vital data is secure from cyber attacks, the work force must meet evolving demands.
Do you have dreams of developing the latest greatest app or mobile game? Do you hope to put an end to computer viruses or fight cyber crime? Or, do you have leadership and administrative training and aspire to manage a team of IT workers for a large corporation? If so, the Technology industry has several potential career paths for the future graduate to look into. Find the Campus Master’s in Technology graduate program that could potentially help you reach your academic and vocational goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-4 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm#tab-4 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm#tab-4 | [v] bls.gov/mlr/1999/06/art3full.pdf | [vi] bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-2/pdf/careers-in-growing-field-of-information-technology-services.pdf | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm | [xi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [xii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm | [xiii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm#tab-6
- Kingston, NSKingston, NS
Queen's University, Ontario, Canada
The Queen’s School of Computing offers a graduate program that is unique in its quality, diversity, innovation and reach. Our faculty and students are engaged in research projects that span traditional and innovative computer science. For example, one t...
- Kingston, NS
- Regina, SKRegina, SK
University of Regina
- Fredericton, NBFredericton, NB
University of New Brunswick - Fredericton
The PhD is primarily a research degree and the major emphasis is on a thesis which must make a contribution to the knowledge in the candidate‚s field of study. A minimum course requirement of three graduate courses complement the research work.The...
- Victoria, BCVictoria, BC
Royal Roads University
- Ottawa, ONOttawa, ON
This program is a one-year course of study (three consecutive terms) designed to introduce GIS technologies and concepts to individuals who have previ...
- Montreal, QCMontreal, QC
The School has a strong commitment to research. Areas of active research range from theory to systems andapplications. Students have access to state of the art software and hardware systems, and benefit from themany ties that the School maintains with i...
- Montreal, QC
- St. Catharines, ONSt. Catharines, ON
- Hamilton, ONHamilton, ON
- Thunder Bay, ONThunder Bay, ON
- Wolfville, NSWolfville, NS
The Jodrey School of Computer Science M.Sc. program prepares students for further graduate studies, research-oriented careers and challenging position...
- Prince Albert, SKPrince Albert, SK
Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology
Geographic Information Sciences (GIS) uses modern technology to automate, integrate, analyze, and communicate spatially-based information.
- Oshawa, ONOshawa, ON
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
The University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) is offering two new graduate programs leading to the degrees of Master of Science (MSc) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Science. Both programs welcomed their first cohort of students...
- Oshawa, ON
- Saskatoon, SKSaskatoon, SK
University of Saskatchewan
Unsaturated soils behaviour, critical state soil mechanics; Solid waste management; tailling, waste rock. landfills. soil liners, covers and cutoff walls; flux boundary conditions, contaminant transport, groundwater flow systems.
- Saskatoon, SK
- Lethbridge, ABLethbridge, AB
University of Lethbridge
The Master of Science program offers students in a wide range of disciplines the opportunity to earn a Master's degree by writing a thesis and successfully completing a limited number of courses.
- Lethbridge, AB
- Winnipeg, MBWinnipeg, MB
University of Manitoba
The Department of Computer Science offers a range of programs, including two Master's options (thesis and coursework) and a Ph.D program. The M.Sc. thesis-based program consists of a combination of coursework and a research component. In the coursewo...
- Trois-Rivieres, QCTrois-Rivieres, QC
Université du Québec à Trois-Riviàres
- Sydney, NSSydney, NS
University College of Cape Breton
This program was designed to facilitate the educational use of information technology in a wide variety of settings.
- London, ONLondon, ON
University of Western Ontario
Western's Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) program is noted for its flexibility. Students can start the program in January, May, or September, and complete it in as little as one year. A unique feature of the program is the Co-op Program...
- London, ON
- Waterloo, QCWaterloo, QC
University of Waterloo