Buffalo Online Masters in Technology Management Programs & Degrees
Earning an online masters in technology management degree can be a great fit if you are someone who watches for the latest phone or computer program to arrive on the marketplace, as you know how revolutionary, impactful and evolving technology is. The advancements of modern technology have enriched numerous industries including; healthcare, entertainment, and transportation, education and data management. The reach of technology is broad, with new innovations appearing every day. An Online Masters of technology degree program may help you take advantage of this trend and pursue a career to match your passions. Masters technology management programs combine technology theories with management skills, and may prepare graduates prepare to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of career paths. Technology managers may have the opportunity to develop diverse sets of skills, as they are likely to receive schooling in information technology management philosophy, system development, and business strategy.
There are different online masters in technology management programs, which may allow students to concentrate their studies on a particular aspect of technology management. For instance, an MBA Management of Engineering and Technology specialization might prepare students to pursue potential career opportunities as administrators, managers, and consultants who use information systems to enhance business outcomes. Another concentration in technology management is IT project Management, a Masters that can teach skills such as software risk management, and software cost estimation, software quality management.
TIP: It is helpful when selecting an online M.S. in Information Technology program to have an idea of where you might like your future professional or academic life to go. This way, you can choose a specialization such as leadership, organizational
design and development, health care management, human resources, project management or information technology that may help you reach your unique goals.
Potential Benefits to Earning an Online Masters in Technology Management
Online education may benefit the working professionals who need the flexibility to study on their own timetable due to other commitments. Some programs might allow students to access the course management system at their own convenience, which makes online study a potentially great way to refine and update training and education. Students participate in web seminars, online sessions, and interactive tutorials, and can interact with classmates via email, group projects, feedback and online forums.
Online Technology Management Masters Program Courses and Curriculum
It is always helpful to check the program details for each program rather than assuming they are all the same format or duration.. With the wide variety of online technology management graduate programs, core coursework and requirements can vary depending on the institution and degree concentration. Many programs are rigorous, and may include writing and researching papers, reports and presentations, group projects or a mentor-led Master’s project. Some of the courses that students can find in technology management may include:
- Advanced Computer Science
- Computer Programming/ Networks
- Data Management and Analytics
- Entertainment Technology Management
- Information Systems
- Business/Business Law/Business Ethics
- Engineering Technology
- Leadership, Strategy, tactics
Potential Technology Management Career Paths
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that career opportunities for qualified technology and information systems mangers is projected to grow much faster than average through 2024.[i] Earning an Online Master in Technology Management degree may not guarantee employment, but it might create new opportunities for individuals to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of different career paths and a variety of work environments such as in business, health care, military, government, nonprofit organizations, and other avenues.
Some of these careers include:
- Computer and Information Systems Manager: often called information technology (IT) managers or IT project managers, they plan, coordinate, and direct computer-related activities in an organization. Another function is to determine the information technology goals of an organization and are responsible for implementing computer systems to meet those goals.[ii]
- Computer and Information Research Scientists: invent and design new approaches to computing technology. Computer and information research scientists also find innovative uses for existing technology, study and solve complex problems in computing for business, medicine, science and other fields.[iii]
- Database Administrators: use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information and customer shipping records. They also make sure that data is available to users and secure from unauthorized access.[iv]
- Computer Network Architects: design and build data communication networks, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and intranets. These networks range from a small connection between two offices to a multinational series of globally distributed communications systems.[v]
- Computer Support Specialists: provide help and advice to people and organizations using computer software or equipment. Some are called computer network support specialists, and support information technology (IT) employees within their organization. Others, are called computer user support specialists, and assist non-IT users who are having computer problems.[vi]
- Computer Systems Analysts: study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently and effectively. They also bring business and information technology (IT) together by understanding the needs and limitations of both fields.[vii]
Career Fun Facts:
- Employment of computer systems analysts is projected to grow 21% from 2014 to 2024, which is much faster than average for all the above occupations.[viii]
- Most jobs for computer and information research scientists require a Ph.D. in computer science or a related field. [ix]
Ready To Search For An Online Information Technology Program?
Are you inspired by the challenge of developing and implementing new technologies? Do you aspire to pursue a potential career path as a technology leader with an executive-level perspective and a skill portfolio that encompasses different business disciplines? Do you want to update your current education to be able to set new professional goals in the industry? If so, start searching below. We've collected a list of Masters in Technology Management Degree program that may help you achieve your academic and vocational goals. When you find one that peaks your interest, simply click the link to contact the school directly
Sources: [i] http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-manag... | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/management/computer-and-information-systems-managers.htm | [iii] http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-... | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-network-architects.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-support-specialists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm