On-Campus Public Affairs and Social Sciences Masters Programs
Start exploring Graduate Schools with Public Affairs and Social Sciences Masters Degree Programs if the idea of studying on campus and the college experience is appealing to you. Whether you are interested in archaeology, counseling psychology, social work, non-profit or public administration, there are many options for a campus-based graduate education in the social and behavioral sciences.
Inside a Public Affairs and Social Sciences Masters Degree Program
The social sciences encompass the behavioral sciences and the humanities. Generalized Social Science Masters degree programs in social science often take an interdisciplinary focus, where students explore a broad curriculum that might include courses in topics such as history, economics, political science, anthropology and sociology.
The Behavioral Sciences include aspects of neuroscience, psychology and counseling, or Social Work. These disciplines may require doctoral degrees for certain levels of clinical practice, so a Masters degree is either a useful stepping-stone or a way to potentially prepare for licensure and the workplace.
In terms of Master of Public Affairs, this type of degree falls into the category of Public Administration. Whereas the Master of Business Administration is considered a preparation for entrepreneurs or management of private companies and organizations, the MPA is the degree of choice if you aspire to work in government or in public policy, emergency management, environmental management or law enforcement.
Most programs require a thesis or capstone project in order to graduate. Program length differs.
DID YOU KNOW? Most sociology jobs require a master’s degree or Ph.D[i]
What Type of Masters Degree in Social Sciences is right for you?
- If you are interested in culture, field-work, examining artifacts and history, you might choose a Masters in Anthropology or a
- Masters in Archaeology.
- If health education or bioethics interests you, look into Masters in Public Health degree programs
- If you are interested in a human-centered field, whether in understanding the brain, cognition, or how to counsel or serve others, you might review Masters in Neuroscience, Masters in Counseling Psychology - Art Therapy, Career Counseling, Counseling & Therapy, Marriage & Family Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, MSW Programs, Masters in Gerontology, Masters in Human Services or Masters in Psychology -Applied Behavior Analysis, Clinical, Cognitive, Community, Developmental, Forensic, Holistic, Organizational, Social & Personality and Sports Psychology.
- If you enjoy research, or studying society using both empirical investigation and critical analysis to understand issues such as crime and demography, browse Masters in Sociology, or Masters in Urban Affairs & Planning.
- If jurisprudence, law and politics interest you, explore Masters in International Relations, Masters in Political Science or Masters in Conflict & Peace Studies
- If you prefer management, business or finance, review Masters in Non-Profit Administration, Masters in Economics, Masters in Emergency Management or Masters in Environmental Management
- If you are interested in Public Affairs, review Masters in Public Administration & Policy degree programs
Essentials of Search: Finding a Graduate School for Public Affairs or Social Sciences
GradSchools.com has some efficient navigation tools to help you land on the Public Affairs and Social Sciences Masters Degree that aligns with your goals. Once you have decided on the ‘what’, focus on the ‘how’ by selecting the campus program format to look through listings in that domain. You can also initiate a search fro Graduate Schools by location, especially if there is a city, state, or country that you know you want to study in. Each search will yield results.
If you open a few links in your browser, you can visit a few universities’ websites to get a feel for it, and use the request info setting to obtain details about the things you want to know: cost, admissions, prerequisites, financial aid and so on. You also want to find out whether a university stands out for one program over another (Neuroscience here, Economics there)
FACT: Political scientists often complete a master of public administration (MPA), master of public policy (MPP), or master of public affairs degree[ii].
Potential Benefits to On-Campus Study
If you have attended college for your undergraduate degree, you already know how it feels to have access to libraries, laboratories or student services onsite. Graduate School is another two years or more, so you are wondering if attending class makes sense to you. It is definitely a personal choice, but there are a few potential advantages. The social learning atmosphere of a campus might provide a great forum for things like:
- Participation in campus activities, feeling of community
- Motivation: Programs are intense and challenging but having a consistent schedule may be grounding and give you the impetus to excel
- Fine tuning your communication and interpersonal skills
- Team-building or leadership skills
- Getting in-person assistance from professors
- Using on site research facilities
- Building lively discussion, brainstorming and learning to ask questions in public especially in interdisciplinary programs
- Forming new networks
Accreditation is a way for an outside, non-governmental agency to verify the quality of an institution of higher learning and specific programs. Since Public Affairs and Social Sciences Masters Degree Programs span so many disciplines, you want to ensure that the grad school you choose meets the standards set by its field. For example
- AACSB - Business Schools, business, economics.
- NASPAA - Public policy, affairs, and administration.
- CSWE – Social Work Masters Programs
Ready to Take the Next Step?
Many Masters students are currently working professionals, and it is not uncommon for Graduate Schools with Public Affairs and Social Sciences Masters Degree Programs to hold classes during the evenings or weekends in order to accommodate this trend. Often graduate programs involve research, with much time in the lab, in the library, or getting good guidance from your faculty. Experiencing this in-person and in real time may be what it takes to excel and enjoy the challenging and fruitful years ahead.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/sociologists.htm | aacsb.edu/ | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/political-scientists.htm | accreditation.naspaa.org | cswe.org/Accreditation.aspx
- Weston, MAWeston, MA
45 credit Master's program; 27 credit certificate program...
- Royal Palm Beach, FLRoyal Palm Beach, FL
- Virginia Beach, VA
- Columbia, SC
- Warrensville Heights, OH
- Glen Allen, VA
- Montgomery, AL
- High Point, NC
- Savannah, GA
- Austin, TX
- Buffalo, NYBuffalo, NY
The MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and MS in School Counseling will prepare you for New York State Licensure and a career as a mental health or school counselor.
- Madison, NJMadison, NJ
Fairleigh Dickinson University
The Industrial/Organizational Psychology graduate program is designed to provide a comprehensive and empirically based background in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.
- Madison, NJ
- Teaneck, NJ
- Riverside, CARiverside, CA
La Sierra University
The La Sierra School of Education provides students with a quality education that focuses on the moral and ethical dimensions of education, all within a close-knit Christian environment.
- Riverside, CA
- Northridge, CANorthridge, CA
California State University, Northridge
Join the largest MPA program in California and the third-largest in the nation. Graduate with a network!...
- Glendale, CA
- Norwalk, CA
- South El Monte, CA
- Boca Raton, FLBoca Raton, FL
Want to explore the fields of scientific writing or information literacy? As a student of the master's in psychology program, you will build a strong foundation for psychological research and human behavior at a graduate level.
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
Chatham's Master of Science in Counseling Psychology program focuses on the professional, intellectual, and personal growth of students, emphasizing human-centered values as well as evidence-informed treatment approaches.
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Portland, MEPortland, ME
University of New England
Our On Campus option offers you traditional face-to-face learning opportunities in small intimate classes with engaged and enthusiastic faculty. Our teaching is consistently high quality and you leave each class transformed by the experience.
- San Luis Obispo, CASan Luis Obispo, CA
California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo
The Master of Science in Psychology fulfills, through a comprehensive and broad study of the field of Psychology, the educational requirements for the state of California’s Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) license.
- San Luis Obispo, CA
- Binghamton, NYBinghamton, NY
Binghamton University (S.U.N.Y.)
The Department of Anthropology offers Master of Arts (MA) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree programs in anthropology, as well as a Master of Science (MS) degree program in biomedical anthropology.
- Binghamton, NY
- Cedar Falls, IACedar Falls, IA
Kaplan University's Master of Science in Health Education could prepare you to help solve community health...
- Cedar Falls, IA
- Mason City, IA
- Davenport, IA
- Lewiston, ME
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Augusta, ME
- Lincoln, NE
- Urbandale, IA
- Costa Mesa, CACosta Mesa, CA
The Master of Science in Clinical Psychology Program equips its students to serve with excellence as Christian mental health professionals by providing rigorous academic training, guided professional development, and integrative faith-based learning i...
- Costa Mesa, CA
- South Orange, NJSouth Orange, NJ
Seton Hall University
The Master of Arts in Diplomacy and International Relations is a 45 credit degree program that includes both core and elective classes as well as a professional internship. ...
- Stony Brook, NYStony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University (S.U.N.Y.)
The program builds on our successful, internationally renowned PhD program in political psychology. The M.A. degree program teaches advanced skills in political psychology, public opinion, and political attitudes. The Political Science M.A.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Erikson’s M.S.W. program is ideal preparation for the social work professional who wishes to improve the lives of children and families.
- Portales, NMPortales, NM
Eastern New Mexico University
The MA in anthropology offers students a specialized focus on the archaeology of the US Southwest.
- Paxton, MAPaxton, MA
Anna Maria College
Anna Maria College's Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology (I/O Psychology) blends coursework from the fields of counseling psychology and business.
- Paxton, MA
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago
Representing and advocating for children, families, women and the elderly is enhanced with an understanding of the psychological and social dynamics that characterize these populations.
- Chicago, IL
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
California Institute of Integral Studies
The program integrates a comprehensive education in theories and methods of psychotherapy with intensive training in expressive arts therapy and counseling psychology.
- San Francisco, CA
- Palm Beach Gardens, FLPalm Beach Gardens, FL
Nova Southeastern University
Counseling, M.S. - School
The master’s degree in Counseling with a School Counseling concentration (48 credit hours) provides training to individuals seeking positions as school counselors in Pre-K to 12 grade school systems...
- Palm Beach Gardens, FL
- Miami, FL
- Jacksonville, FL
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Orlando, FL
- Tampa, FL
- Edinburgh, United KingdomEdinburgh, United Kingdom
University of Edinburgh
Want to be part of the growing global bioeconomy, particularly development and innovation within biotechonology and life sciences? Our one-year Masters in Management of Bioeconomy Innovation and Governance responds to demand for highly skilled graduates...
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom