New York Online Industrial Organizational Psychology Programs
Online Masters in Organizational Psychology Programs center on the role of psychology in fostering healthy and productive work environments, employee satisfaction, and other similar topics. Programs are typically research-focused, covering things like survey methodologies and analysis, program analysis and assessment strategies, which could be employed to understand and improve workplace dynamics.
What’s more, students may have the opportunity to hone leadership and organizational leadership skills, and even put learning into action with guided field experience! And since programs are offered online, courses may be flexible enough to accommodate your busy career and personal life.
Online Masters in Organizational Psychology Program Basics
Earning your Masters in Organizational Psychology may take around two years, depending on the length of the program and the pace at which you choose to complete it. Programs often combine classroom learning with practical experience.
This could include performing or assisting with research, internships in the field, lab work, etc. In an online program, these elements may vary. Some online programs may omit them altogether, while others might require students to complete these elements in person on campus or organize them themselves.
Typically, online industrial organizational psychology masters programs may award either a Master of Arts (MA) or Master of Science (MS) degree upon completion. While the differences are sometimes nominal, as a rule of thumb, Master of Arts in IO Psychology tend to look more toward practical application of research findings, whereas MS programs may focus more on scholarship and performing said research. Some MBA programs may also be available.
Why Earn your Masters in Organizational Psychology Online
Online Masters in Industrial Organizational Psychology Programs bring an opportunity for busy students to bring the university education they’re looking for into their own home or office. As such, students who have already started their careers may be able to balance their coursework with their work obligations and family.
This flexibility to balance education with career could present a unique advantages. After all, you might be able to start applying the things you learn in your online classroom on the job right away, giving your education a practical context and hands-on experience.
Online programs typically deliver classes through an online course module. This could be in the form of live-streamed lectures and video conferencing, or more independent assignments with more flexible scheduling. Often, these courses are taught by the same faculty that teach on campus. Online programs also offer many similar benefits to campus programs, including digital library services and academic and career advisement.
Example IO Psychology Masters Curriculum
The curriculum of your online masters in organizational psychology may be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of degree being conferred, the types of careers the program is designed to support, and the kinds of students they’re targeting. Some programs may also allow students to concentrate their studies on a particular area within the field, such as Applied Behavior Analysis.
Some of the courses you would be exposed to might include:
- Behavioral Risk Management
- Educational Psychology
- Employment law
- Executive Coaching, leadership
- Industrial Sociology
- Job attitudes and satisfaction
- Organizational culture, development, research methods
- Personnel recruitment, appraisal and psychology, human resources
- Systems Psychology
So What Does An Industrial Organizational Psychologist Do?
As a field, industrial organizational psychology centers on the role psychology plays in the overall functioning of a workplace and an employee’s experience there. This includes conducting surveys to evaluate workplace dynamics and where they could improve, and employing psychology research-backed strategies to improve productivity, morale, or overall effectiveness.
Some of the responsibilities of an organizational psychologist may include:
- Research on employee behaviors and attitudes
- Problem-solve: Determine how these attitudes can be improved through hiring practices, training programs, feedback, management systems, predicting job performance
- Evaluate: Coach, train and help employees transition during periods of organizational development. Mediate and make peace.
- Recruit: Learn how to select and retain high quality employees
- Focus on how organizations impact and interact with individuals.
Potential Career Paths
Unlike other branches of psychology, industrial organizational psychology masters programs are often considered entry level, meaning you could potentially put your degree to use in the field after you graduate, without necessarily having to pursue a doctorate or another credential. That said, because the field combines business and management with psychology, there’s considerable variety in how students might apply their learning and at what point in their education.
According to the BLS, the typical minimum education required to work as an industrial-organizational psychologist is a master’s degree. i
Other potential career paths that may be of interest include:
- Psychologist: often gather information and evaluate behavior through controlled laboratory experiments, psychoanalysis or psychotherapy ii
- Training and Development Specialist: help plan, conduct, and administer programs that train employees and improve their skills and knowledge iii
- Human Resources Manager: plan, direct and coordinate the administrative functions of an organization iv
- Human Resources Specialist/Labor Relations Specialist: recruit, screen, interview and place workers v
- Training and Development Manager: plan, direct and coordinate programs to enhance the knowledge and skills of an organization’s employees vi
High Employment Industries vii
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, some industries with the highest levels of employment in this occupation include:
- Management, Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
- State Government (OES Designation)
- Scientific Research and Development Services
- Elementary and Secondary Schools
However, employment in specific industries—and in general—may vary by state and locale. Contact your school or program’s career advisement services to learn more about employment in your area.
Find Online Masters in Organizational Psychology Programs
If you’re ready to get started, GradSChools.com can help you find potential online industrial organizational psychology masters programs. Start by reviewing sponsored program listings. If you’d like to filter your results further, you can choose your preferred program location using the menu. Click on “request info” to read more about a program and get in touch!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm#tab-4 | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/training-and-development-specialists.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/human-resources-managers.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/human-resources-specialists-and-labor-relations-specialists.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/training-and-development-managers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
- Offering two quality, competency-based online learning formats: FlexPath & GuidedPath
- With FlexPath, you can earn your master’s degree in 12 months and under $11,000*
- 97% of alumni agree FlexPath provided the flexibility they needed to pursue their degree (Alumni Outcomes Survey 2017)
*Assumes accelerated pace. Price varies by your pace and transfer credits. Other fees may apply.
- Some of the nation's most affordable tuition rates, from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access
George Mason UniversityMPS in Applied Industrial and Organizational Psychology