Masters in Organizational Psychology Degrees
Are you looking to pursue a career-focused specialty in the broad field of psychology? Would you like to learn to apply psychological principles and theories to businesses and organizations? If you enjoy social sciences and public affairs, you might be interested in earning a Masters in Organizational Psychology.
Masters in Organizational Psychology Schools
This field pertains to the scientific study of employees, workplaces, and organizations and is a recognized specialty in the United States. Earning a Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus degree is not necessarily intended to help prepare you for licensure as a professional psychologist, but to apply psychological principles for organizational success.
Fact: One of the fastest growing fields, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is Industrial Organizational Psychology with a growth rate of 53% projected between 2012 and 2022[i].
What are some of the functions of an organizational psychologist?
Some of the duties and skills of an organizational psychologist may include:
- Research on employee behaviors and attitudes
- Problem-solve: Determine how these attitudes can be improved through hiring practices, training programs, feedback, management systems, predicting job performance
- Evaluate: Coach, train and help employees transition during periods of organizational development. Mediate and make peace.
- Recruit: Learn how to select and retain high quality employees
- Focus on how organizations impact and interact with individuals.
- The roots of industrial organizational psychology trace back almost to the beginning of psychology as a science, when Wilhelm Wundt founded one of the first psychological laboratories in 1876 in Leipzig, Germany.[ii]
- Industrial Psychology became more prominent during the First World War.[iii]
Organizational Psychology is also referred to as Industrial Psychology, or Industrial Organizational Psychology, abbreviated I-O or WO for Work Psychology.
Potential Benefits of Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus Graduate Programs
Now that you are ready to begin your search for a program, there are several potential advantages to studying for your Masters on Campus.
- Social and Professional Networking. You may have opportunities to meet and interact with peers and professors
- Access. You can use all the facilities and resources that the school has to offer. Think library, athletic facilities, laboratories, or cafeteria for study-for-exam-night caffeine. Community. You become a part of the on-campus community and may want to get involved in activities or use the support services.
- Discipline. Classroom-based programs may help you if you have more success with face-to-face interactions with peers that when you are left on your own.
Master Degree Program in Organizational Psychology Courses and Curriculum
It is helpful to determine whether you are interested more in one aspect of organizational psychology or another. Some Masters degree programs might focus on Applied Behavior Analysis while others may focus on Industrial Organizational Psychology. Also are you going to pursue a Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, A Master of Arts in Psychology – Industrial Organizational Psychology, or pursue Doctorate studies at a later date? Make sure to look through each school’s set of criteria.
Typically some of the courses you would be exposed to might include:
- Behavioral Risk Management
- Educational Psychology
- Employment law
- Executive Coaching, leadership
- Industrial Sociology
- Job attitudes and satisfaction
- Organizational culture, development, research methods
- Personnel recruitment, appraisal and psychology, human resources
- Systems Psychology
Potential Career Paths for Graduates With Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus Degrees
There are a variety of professional doors and work environments that you could pursue you once you have earned your Masters in Organizational Psychology. For instance, academic institutions, consulting firms, and human-resources departments in companies, governmental institutions, employ some I-O psychologists. You might also purpose a career in industries such as factories, plants, construction sites, office buildings, or you might choose to be pursue a career as an independent consultant.
Potential Career Paths For Organizational psychology graduates:
- Training and Development Specialist[v]
- Human Resources Manager[vi]
- Human Resources Specialists /Labor Relations Specialists[vii]
- Training and Development Managers[viii]
Which States have the Highest Level of Employment in Organizational Psychology?[ix]
- New York
Helpful Resources For Career Info:
The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology has useful information on this industry. Check it out at: http://www.siop.org/.
You will also find abundant answers to your questions on the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Check it out at: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
Ready to begin your search for a Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus program?
Are you ready to apply principles of psychology to human resources, administration, marketing problems and sales? Are you interested in activities such as policy planning, employee testing and selection, training and development, as well as organizational development and analysis? If the answers to these questions elicited a favorable response, consider beginning your search for the program and school that aligns with your vocational and academic goals.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm | [ii] boundless.com/psychology/textbooks/boundless-psychology-textbook/workplace-psychology-21/workplace-psychology-106/introduction-to-industrial-and-organizational-psychology-400-12935/ | [iii] careersinpsychology.org/becoming-an-industrial-or-organizational-psychologist/ | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/training-and-development-specialists.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/human-resources-managers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/human-resources-specialists-and-labor-relations-specialists.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/management/training-and-development-managers.htm | [ix] bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
- Some of the nation's most affordable tuition rates, from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access
- Newton, MANewton, MA
William James College
The Organizational Psychology MA is a highly interactive and outcome oriented 11-month program where students attain their 30 credit master's degree. The program is offered in two formats: fully online or blended. There is a concentration in Talent Mgmt...
- Madison, NJMadison, NJ
Fairleigh Dickinson University
The Industrial/Organizational Psychology graduate program is designed to provide a comprehensive and empirically based background in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Hartford
The Organizational Psychology program aims to address critical leadership skills required to enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Costa Mesa, CACosta Mesa, CA
The mission of the Organizational Psychology program is to prepare students for professional excellence, ethical leadership, and service to people and society through enhancing life in the workplace.
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- Washington, DC
- Los Angeles, CA
- Chicago, IL
- Irvine, CA
- Port Saint Lucie, FLPort Saint Lucie, FL
The Master of Science in Organizational Psychology degree emphasizes behavior of individuals in businesses and organizations to determine how to improve performance and productivity for that organization.
- Daytona Beach, FL
- Sarasota, FL
- Tallahassee, FL
- Fort Myers, FL
- Orlando, FL
- Lakeland, FL
- Tampa, FL
- Paxton, MAPaxton, MA
Anna Maria College
Anna Maria College's Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology (I/O Psychology) blends coursework from the fields of counseling psychology and business.
- Baltimore, MDBaltimore, MD
University of Maryland Baltimore County
UMBC's Master's in Professional Studies (M.P.S.): Industrial /Organizational Psychology explores and integrates important topics such as human resource practice, organizational behavioral management, human factors and culminates with a professional capsto...
- Elmhurst, ILElmhurst, IL
Experts in industrial/organizational psychology are in high demand in Chicago and around the country. Now in its 20th year, our program produces graduates who have gone on to careers in every industry and sector...
- Nacogdoches, TXNacogdoches, TX
Stephen F Austin State University
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology
The Industrial, Organizational, and Business Psychology Division offers an M.S. degree in Personnel and Human Resource Development and a Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. The Division emphasizes students' exposure to the scientist' and pra...
- Moscow, RussiaMoscow, Russia
- Murfreesboro, TNMurfreesboro, TN
Middle Tennessee State University
The M.A. degree in Psychology with an Industrial/Organizational emphasis is for those interested in applying psychological principles in business, ind...
- Lancaster, United KingdomLancaster, United Kingdom
University of Lancaster
- Birmingham, United KingdomBirmingham, United Kingdom
Research excellence was confirmed in Aston Business School by a Grade 4 rating in the 1996 Research Assessment Exercise and the receipt of over £1/2 million in research grants alone (excluding consultancy) during 1995/96. Aston Business School is o...
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
Baruch College, City University Of New York
The MS program in Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology prepares students to pursue practitioner or research careers focused on human behavior in the workplace. The program provides students with a comprehensive background in I/O Psychology that em...
- Ankara, TurkeyAnkara, Turkey
Middle East Technical University
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
London Metropolitan University
The course aims to provide students with the underpinning knowledge of occupational psychology and the development of some skills essential to the professional psychologist. The MSc is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) for Chartered...
- New Rochelle, NYNew Rochelle, NY
- Highland Heights, KYHighland Heights, KY
Northern Kentucky University
Our curriculum is designed to meet all the guidelines of the Society of Industrial-Organizational Psychology (SIOP). You will learn skills that are valuable in many occupational areas including human resources, management consulting, program evaluation...
- Cork, IrelandCork, Ireland
University College Cork
- Hamilton, New ZealandHamilton, New Zealand
University of Waikato, The
- Manchester, United KingdomManchester, United Kingdom
University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology
- Detroit, MIDetroit, MI
University of Detroit Mercy