California Masters in Organizational Psychology Degrees
Are you looking to pursue a career-focused specialty in the broad field of psychology? Would you like to learn to apply psychological principles and theories to businesses and organizations? If you enjoy social sciences and public affairs, you might be interested in earning a Masters in Organizational Psychology.
Masters in Organizational Psychology Schools
This field pertains to the scientific study of employees, workplaces, and organizations and is a recognized specialty in the United States. Earning a Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus degree is not necessarily intended to help prepare you for licensure as a professional psychologist, but to apply psychological principles for organizational success.
Fact: One of the fastest growing fields, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is Industrial Organizational Psychology with a growth rate of 53% projected between 2012 and 2022[i].
What are some of the functions of an organizational psychologist?
Some of the duties and skills of an organizational psychologist may include:
- Research on employee behaviors and attitudes
- Problem-solve: Determine how these attitudes can be improved through hiring practices, training programs, feedback, management systems, predicting job performance
- Evaluate: Coach, train and help employees transition during periods of organizational development. Mediate and make peace.
- Recruit: Learn how to select and retain high quality employees
- Focus on how organizations impact and interact with individuals.
- The roots of industrial organizational psychology trace back almost to the beginning of psychology as a science, when Wilhelm Wundt founded one of the first psychological laboratories in 1876 in Leipzig, Germany.[ii]
- Industrial Psychology became more prominent during the First World War.[iii]
Organizational Psychology is also referred to as Industrial Psychology, or Industrial Organizational Psychology, abbreviated I-O or WO for Work Psychology.
Potential Benefits of Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus Graduate Programs
Now that you are ready to begin your search for a program, there are several potential advantages to studying for your Masters on Campus.
- Social and Professional Networking. You may have opportunities to meet and interact with peers and professors
- Access. You can use all the facilities and resources that the school has to offer. Think library, athletic facilities, laboratories, or cafeteria for study-for-exam-night caffeine. Community. You become a part of the on-campus community and may want to get involved in activities or use the support services.
- Discipline. Classroom-based programs may help you if you have more success with face-to-face interactions with peers that when you are left on your own.
Master Degree Program in Organizational Psychology Courses and Curriculum
It is helpful to determine whether you are interested more in one aspect of organizational psychology or another. Some Masters degree programs might focus on Applied Behavior Analysis while others may focus on Industrial Organizational Psychology. Also are you going to pursue a Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, A Master of Arts in Psychology – Industrial Organizational Psychology, or pursue Doctorate studies at a later date? Make sure to look through each school’s set of criteria.
Typically some of the courses you would be exposed to might include:
- Behavioral Risk Management
- Educational Psychology
- Employment law
- Executive Coaching, leadership
- Industrial Sociology
- Job attitudes and satisfaction
- Organizational culture, development, research methods
- Personnel recruitment, appraisal and psychology, human resources
- Systems Psychology
Potential Career Paths for Graduates With Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus Degrees
There are a variety of professional doors and work environments that you could pursue you once you have earned your Masters in Organizational Psychology. For instance, academic institutions, consulting firms, and human-resources departments in companies, governmental institutions, employ some I-O psychologists. You might also purpose a career in industries such as factories, plants, construction sites, office buildings, or you might choose to be pursue a career as an independent consultant.
Potential Career Paths For Organizational psychology graduates:
- Training and Development Specialist[v]
- Human Resources Manager[vi]
- Human Resources Specialists /Labor Relations Specialists[vii]
- Training and Development Managers[viii]
Which States have the Highest Level of Employment in Organizational Psychology?[ix]
- New York
Helpful Resources For Career Info:
The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology has useful information on this industry. Check it out at: http://www.siop.org/.
You will also find abundant answers to your questions on the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Check it out at: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
Ready to begin your search for a Masters in Organizational Psychology on Campus program?
Are you ready to apply principles of psychology to human resources, administration, marketing problems and sales? Are you interested in activities such as policy planning, employee testing and selection, training and development, as well as organizational development and analysis? If the answers to these questions elicited a favorable response, consider beginning your search for the program and school that aligns with your vocational and academic goals.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm | [ii] boundless.com/psychology/textbooks/boundless-psychology-textbook/workplace-psychology-21/workplace-psychology-106/introduction-to-industrial-and-organizational-psychology-400-12935/ | [iii] careersinpsychology.org/becoming-an-industrial-or-organizational-psychologist/ | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/training-and-development-specialists.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/human-resources-managers.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/human-resources-specialists-and-labor-relations-specialists.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/management/training-and-development-managers.htm | [ix] bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
- Some of the nation's most affordable tuition rates, from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access
- Costa Mesa, CACosta Mesa, CA
The mission of the Organizational Psychology program is to prepare students for professional excellence, ethical leadership, and service to people and society through enhancing life in the workplace.
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- Los Angeles, CA
- Irvine, CA
- Claremont, CAClaremont, CA
Claremont Graduate University
The objective of the program is to train future leaders, change agents, scholars, and educators to use psychological and organizational theory and research to improve organizational effectiveness and the work life of all individuals. Most graduates of t...
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
Alliant International University
Alliant's MA in Organizational Psychology, offered by the California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP), provides in-depth education and training in applied theory, research and practice of industrial and organizational psy...
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Sacramento, CA
- Irvine, CA
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
Golden Gate University
- San Bernardino, CASan Bernardino, CA
California State University, San Bernardino
The program provides a comprehensive slate of I/O specific courses designed to prepare students for immediate entry into careers in applied settings.
- Rohnert Park, CARohnert Park, CA
Sonoma State University
This special-focus masters in psychology provides professional preparation for mid-career individuals interested in learning how to develop more effec...
- Moraga, CAMoraga, CA
St. Mary's College Of California