New York Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology Programs and Degrees
Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology Programs and Degrees Info
Are you looking to pursue a career-focused specialty in the broad field of psychology? Does learning skills so you can apply psychological principles and theories to businesses and organizations interest you? Are you drawn to social sciences and public affairs? If yes, you might be interested in earning a Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology. This field of study concentrates on the scientific study of employees, workplaces, and organizations. It is a recognized specialty in the United States. While it is not necessarily intended to help prepare you for licensure as a professional psychologist, it is a Degree typically designed to help teach you to apply psychological principles for organizational success.
Fact: One of the fastest growing fields, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, is Industrial Organizational Psychology[i].
What is the role of an organizational psychologist?
Some of the activities and skill-sets of an organizational psychologist may include:
- Research: on employee behaviors and attitudes
- Problem-solve: Determine how these attitudes can be improved through hiring practices, training programs, feedback, management systems, predicting job performance
- Evaluate: Coach, train and help employees transition during periods of organizational development. Mediate and make peace.
- Recruit: Learn how to select and retain high quality employees
- Focus on how organizations impact and interact with individuals.
Historical Tidbit: The roots of industrial organizational psychology trace back almost to the beginning of psychology as a science, when Wilhelm Wundt founded one of the first psychological laboratories in 1876 in Leipzig, Germany.[ii] Industrial Psychology became more prominent during the First World War.[iii]
SEARCH TIP: Organizational Psychology is also referred to as Industrial Psychology, or Industrial Organizational Psychology, abbreviated I-O or WO for Work Psychology.[iv]
Potential Advantages of Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology Graduate Programs
The hybrid masters in organizational psychology format of study combines the benefits of online and on-campus study, so it is both convenient and low-residency. The newest digital tools keep you connected to your classmates via group forums, projects, feedback and email. It could be a suitable option if:
- You like the idea of having access to all the facilities that your school has to offer, such as libraries, laboratories, student services, networking and community
- You are looking to manage your timetable a certain way, returning to school to refine your academic portfolio, or just like the idea of a low residency approach
- You like the idea of studying via web, with a computer and Internet access.
Master Degree Program in Organizational Psychology Courses and Curriculum
You might find it advantageous to decide whether you are drawn towards one aspect of organizational psychology more than another. For instance, some Masters degree programs might focus on Applied Behavior Analysis while others may focus on Industrial Organizational Psychology. You may also want to determine whether you wish to pursue a Master of Science in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, A Master of Arts in Psychology – Industrial Organizational Psychology, or go on to earn your Doctorate Degree in Organizational Psychology at a later date. Search through each school’s set of criterion. Some of the courses you might be exposed to could include:
- Topics of Study may include courses in
- Behavioral Risk Management
- Educational Psychology
- Employment law
- Executive Coaching, leadership
- Industrial Sociology
- Job attitudes and satisfaction
- Organizational culture, development, research methods
- Personnel recruitment, appraisal and psychology, human resources
- Systems Psychology
Potential Career Paths for Graduates With Organizational Psychology Masters Degrees
There are several professional options and work environments that you could pursue once you as a graduate with a Masters Degree in Organizational Psychology. For example, academic institutions, consulting firms, and human-resources departments in companies, governmental institutions, employ some I-O psychologists. Careers paths you could pursue include:
- Training and Development Specialist[vi]
- Human Resources Manager[vii]
- Human Resources Specialists /Labor Relations Specialists[viii]
- Training and Development Managers[ix]
- The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology has useful career-related information on this industry. Check it out at: http://www.siop.org/.
- You will also find many interesting statistics on the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Check it out at: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
Which Industries have the highest level of employment in this occupation?[x]
- Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services
- State Government
- Scientific Research and Development Services
- Elementary and Secondary Schools
Ready to begin your search for a Hybrid Masters in Organizational Psychology program?
Earning your Masters Degree in Organizational psychology could be a fascinating area of study that could lead you to pursue a number of potential careers within the field. You could learn how to apply principles of psychology to human resources, administration, marketing problems and sales. Some of the duties you could be prepared to carry out might include policy planning, employee testing and selection, training and development, as well as organizational development and analysis. If this sounds like it may be a good fit for you, you may want to consider looking into a hybrid graduate program so you can begin earning your degree soon!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm | [ii] boundless.com/psychology/textbooks/boundless-psychology-textbook/workplace-psychology-21/workplace-psychology-106/introduction-to-industrial-and-organizational-psychology-400-12935/ | [iii] careersinpsychology.org/becoming-an-industrial-or-organizational-psychologist/ | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm#tab-2 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/training-and-development-specialists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/human-resources-managers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/human-resources-specialists-and-labor-relations-specialists.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/management/training-and-development-managers.htm | [x] bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
- Some of the nation's most affordable tuition rates, from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access
- New York City, NYNew York City, NY
A master’s degree in Industrial-Organizational (I-O) Psychology will increase your professional value, and equip you with the practical tools and psychological methods to help businesses become more productive and profitable...