Kansas Online Masters in Kinesiology Programs and Degrees
If you have a keen interest in exercise physiology and biomechanics, and are looking to enhance your knowledge for further doctoral studies in exercise science, or to have a good foundation to pursue different career paths, you might find that an online masters in kinesiology degree program to be a good fit.
What is a Kinesiology Masters Program?
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the applications of kinesiology to human health include biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
A master’s degree in kinesiology could help prepare students to pursue a variety of careers in exercise or sport related settings, some of which are growing faster than other occupations. In fact, employment of Physical Therapists Assistants PTAs) and aides is projected to grow 41% from 2012 to 2022[i], while Physical Therapists (PTs) are considered as an occupation with a bright outlook[ii].
How Can I Find an Online Masters in Kinesiology Program?
It is easy to find online masters in kinesiology programs on GradSchools.com. You can search by location to determine where these programs are offered; use the tabs to enter a city, state or country and browse results. You can also search by any specialization you are looking for to determine whether there is an online format, or look through all the listings to see what appeals to you. Some of your choices include Online MS Kinesiology, Online Master Physical Education, and Online Master- Prosthetics and Orthotics.
What are the potential advantages to earning a masters degree in kinesiology online?
Distance learning may be a good option for the working professional or busy adult who needs to balance advanced education with other
factors in their schedule. Here are a couple of potential advantages to earning a masters degree in kinesiology online:
- Flexibility: You may have deadlines for work projects, but often can log into the course management system on your own timetable.
- Convenience: There is no commute time, so you can be anywhere you have Internet access and your computer.
- Digital Interaction: Up to date technology is used to keep students connected to online libraries and study tools, group forums, their classmates and professors
What is the potential curriculum in Online Kinesiology Masters Programs?
It is usual that the format and curriculum of each online kinesiology masters program may vary from school to school, and be affected by any area of specialization you are emphasizing. Some of the courses that students might learn may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
Potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates
Depending upon factors such as one’s level of education and experience, there are different potential career paths for graduates who earn exercise science or kinesiology masters. Some of these avenues may include
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses[iii]. The industries with the highest level of employment for this occupation include general medical hospitals, offices of other health practitioners, offices of physicians, government, outpatient care centers[iv].
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain[v]. Industries with the highest levels of employment in this occupation include offices of other health practitioners general medical and surgical hospitals, home health care services, nursing care facilities and offices of physicians[ii].
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists[i]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities and held about 267,000 jobs in 2012. They work in health clubs, fitness or recreation centers, gyms, clubs, hospitals, universities, and in people’s homes[vi]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[vii]. Coaches work in elementary and secondary schools, amusement and recreation industries, colleges, universities and professional schools as well as civic and social organizations[viii]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments[ix]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[x]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students[xi]
Ready to pursue your online masters in kinesiology degree?
Studying the movement of the human body has applications in physical education, athletic training, sports administration and other areas, making an online masters in kinesiology degree a potentially great foundation for your future job search. Start selecting the program that matches your professional and academic goals on GradSchools.com
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [ii] onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1123.00 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [iv] bls.gov/oes/current/oes291128.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [viii] .bls.gov/oes/current/oes272022.htm | [ix] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [x] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [xi] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
Pittsburg State University
The MS degree program is designed to prepare students for careers in the fields of physical education, wellness and recreation.