Online Masters in Kinesiology Programs and Degrees
If you have a keen interest in exercise physiology and biomechanics, and are looking to enhance your knowledge for further doctoral studies in exercise science, or to have a good foundation to pursue different career paths, you might find that an online masters in kinesiology degree program to be a good fit.
What is a Kinesiology Masters Program?
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the applications of kinesiology to human health include biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
A master’s degree in kinesiology could help prepare students to pursue a variety of careers in exercise or sport related settings, some of which are growing faster than other occupations. In fact, employment of Physical Therapists Assistants PTAs) and aides is projected to grow 41% from 2012 to 2022[i], while Physical Therapists (PTs) are considered as an occupation with a bright outlook[ii].
How Can I Find an Online Masters in Kinesiology Program?
It is easy to find online masters in kinesiology programs on GradSchools.com. You can search by location to determine where these programs are offered; use the tabs to enter a city, state or country and browse results. You can also search by any specialization you are looking for to determine whether there is an online format, or look through all the listings to see what appeals to you. Some of your choices include Online MS Kinesiology, Online Master Physical Education, and Online Master- Prosthetics and Orthotics.
What are the potential advantages to earning a masters degree in kinesiology online?
Distance learning may be a good option for the working professional or busy adult who needs to balance advanced
education with other factors in their schedule. Here are a couple of potential advantages to earning a masters degree in kinesiology online:
- Flexibility: You may have deadlines for work projects, but often can log into the course management system on your own timetable.
- Convenience: There is no commute time, so you can be anywhere you have Internet access and your computer.
- Digital Interaction: Up to date technology is used to keep students connected to online libraries and study tools, group forums, their classmates and professors
What is the potential curriculum in Online Kinesiology Masters Programs?
It is usual that the format and curriculum of each online kinesiology masters program may vary from school to school, and be affected by any area of specialization you are emphasizing. Some of the courses that students might learn may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
Potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates
Depending upon factors such as one’s level of education and experience, there are different potential career paths for graduates who earn exercise science or kinesiology masters. Some of these avenues may include
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses[iii]. The industries with the highest level of employment for this occupation include general medical hospitals, offices of other health practitioners, offices of physicians, government, outpatient care centers[iv].
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain[v]. Industries with the highest levels of employment in this occupation include offices of other health practitioners general medical and surgical hospitals, home health care services, nursing care facilities and offices of physicians[ii].
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists[i]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities and held about 267,000 jobs in 2012. They work in health clubs, fitness or recreation centers, gyms, clubs, hospitals, universities, and in people’s homes[vi]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[vii]. Coaches work in elementary and secondary schools, amusement and recreation industries, colleges, universities and professional schools as well as civic and social organizations[viii]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments[ix]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[x]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students[xi]
Ready to pursue your online masters in kinesiology degree?
Studying the movement of the human body has applications in physical education, athletic training, sports administration and other areas, making an online masters in kinesiology degree a potentially great foundation for your future job search. Start selecting the program that matches your professional and academic goals on GradSchools.com
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [ii] onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1123.00 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [iv] bls.gov/oes/current/oes291128.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [viii] .bls.gov/oes/current/oes272022.htm | [ix] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [x] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [xi] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
California Baptist University
The online Master of Science in Kinesiology degree program offers an advanced study of Kinesiology designed to enhance preparation for discipline-related careers.
University of Western States
he University of Western States exercise and sports science (ESS) master’s degree program is regionally accredited and prepares graduates to provide expert education, guidance and services as leaders in sport, exercise and...
Liberty University Online
The Master of Science in Exercise Science — Community Physical Activity prepares you to care for the physical needs of a community and those with disabilities. Specialized courses include:...
Sam Houston State University
Advance your understanding of movement and exercise...
Edith Cowan University
Many Edith Cowan University students choose to study in the external mode because this suits their lifestyle or family and work commitments. No on-campus attendance is required in units offered externally. At present, some 4,000 Edith Cowan University s...
Fresno Pacific University
Preparing professionals to become exemplary practitioners in the areas of physical education and athletic training pedagogy.
University of Wyoming
Health and physical education teachers and health professionals are busy people.
University of Texas System
The MS in Kinesiology is a 36-credit program that combines resources of four UT System universities and is designed to meet your academic, professional and lifestyle needs as a physical educator, coach, or other professional.
University of Central Missouri
The Master of Science in Physical Education Exercise and Sport Science Specializing in Athletics & Sport Business Administration...
University of Houston
The degree is designed for physical educators, administrators, dance educators, sport theorists, and exercise specialists.
Pittsburg State University
The MS degree program is designed to prepare students for careers in the fields of physical education, wellness and recreation.
University of Texas of the Permian Basin, The
Are you looking for an entirely online, Web-based master's degree program designed to meet your professional, academic, and lifestyle needs? Are you i...
University of Hartford
The transitional Master of Science in Prosthetics and Orthotics (tMSPO) degree program was developed in response to current demands by practicing prosthetists and orthotists and dually certified professionals.
Louisiana State University
This LSU Online program is flexible and accelerated. It is ideal for working professionals, along with completion in as few as 12 months, with no thesis, in order to put your career in sport management on the winning track...
University of Texas at El Paso
Kinesiology is the study of human movement and physical activity.
University of Texas-Pan American
The M.S.program at UTPA was designed to prepare Health and Kinesiology students to function professionally in a changing and diverse society.
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences
A.T. Still University offers this 15-course, 42-quarter-hour Master of Science in Human Movement program which is designed to assist students in the development of comprehensive knowledge of human movement science, functional anatomy, physiology and...