Masters in Kinesiology Schools (On-Campus)
If you are drawn to the study of human movement and physiology and are looking for a career-focused program in health studies, you might benefit from a masters in kinesiology on campus program, especially if you have been studying exercise science, exercise physiology or physical education.
Kinesiology Job Outlook
Whether your goal is to continue to a PhD in kinesiology or related field, pursue work as a physical education teacher, a physical therapist, in sports administration, or in athletic training and rehabilitation, there are masters in kinesiology on campus programs that could help prepare you to pursue your goals in some fast growing fields. Some of the occupations with faster than average projected job outlooks for the next decade include:
- Athletic trainers and exercise physiologists: 19% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Physical Therapist: 36% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Physical Therapists assistants and aides: 41% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[iii]
What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the relevance of kinesiology to human health includes biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
How Do I Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools?
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review options for masters in kinesiology schools and programs.
You can perform a location search to determine where you could pursue your studies; simply use the city, state, or country tabs and browse results for different campuses offering the kind of kinesiology masters program you are looking for. You can refine that search by entering any area of specialization you are interested in or look for the programs that offer a PhD Kinesiology track so that you can continue your studies further. Some of your choices are Master of Science in Kinesiology programs and Master of Science in Exercise Sciences.
What Are The Potential Advantages To Earning a Masters in Kinesiology Campus Degree?
There are some potential advantages to studying on-campus vs online or hybrid;
- Interactions: Face to face interactions with peers, teaching assistants and professors.
- Access: Use of the campus facilities. This means libraries, laboratories and can include the athletic amenities, which is great if you are studying exercise science!
- Networking: You can join the community of fellow students, network, and enjoy group study if that benefits you
Potential Curriculum Kinesiology Master’s Programs
The curriculum in kinesiology master’s programs can vary depending on the school and may be determined by any specialization you have chosen. Some of the courses that students might study kinesiology masters programs may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
What Are Some Potential Career Paths for Masters in Kinesiology Graduates?
Some of the potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates might depend on the level of study reached, and other factors. These could include:
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, and commonly earn Master’s degrees[i]
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain and need a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and state licensure[ii]
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists and typically need an associate’s degree for entry level employment[iii]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities[iv]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[v]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments, and about 285 hold Master’s degrees[vi]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[vii]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students; some states may require a master’s degree[viii]
Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools
For the student who has a passion for health and wellness, combined with a love of looking at exercise from the scientific point of view, earning a master’s in kinesiology may be a great choice for your graduate studies. Begin researching kinesiology masters schools to find a degree program that may have the potential to help prepare you for a brilliant future in a number of different professional outcomes. Browse the listings below or use the filter to the left to search by location or degree type.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
- Boston, MABoston, MA
Learn to assist with the rehabilitation of individuals or help to develop public health policy promoting physical activity...
- Alamosa, COAlamosa, CO
Adams State University
Affordable 36-credit MS in Exercise Science...
- Quebec, QCQuebec, QC
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
The Dance Movement Therapy program at Drexel University opened in 1974. The program focuses on developing and integrating the student's personal, intellectual and movement resources so that they can facilitate access to those resources with their client...
- Columbia, SCColumbia, SC
University of South Carolina
The mission of the Department of Exercise Science is to expand and disseminate the body of knowledgeconcerning the relationship between exercise participation and human health.
- Winnipeg, MBWinnipeg, MB
University of Manitoba
Offers two thesis-based degree programs: M.A. and M.Sc.
- Denton, TXDenton, TX
University of North Texas
The Recreation, Event and Sport Management program at the University of North Texas can lead you to challenging and rewarding leadership positions in a variety of recreation, sport, event and leisure settings including:...
- Denton, TX
- Atlanta, GAAtlanta, GA
Georgia State University
Concentrations: Fitness and Health Promotion; Exercise Physiology; Biomechanics The M.S. major in Exercise Science prepares students at the graduate level to enter fields of worksite health promotion or fitness, cardiac rehabilitation, or related clini...
- Stockton, CAStockton, CA
University of The Pacific
The University of the Pacific Health, Exercise, and Sport Sciences curriculum focuses on how physical activity and sport contribute to quality of life. Study areas include exercise science, sport management and sport pedagogy.
- London, ONLondon, ON
University of Western Ontario
The Faculty has offered a graduate program leading to the Master of Arts degree since 1963. The doctoral program leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Kinesiology was initiated in the fall of 1978 and extended in 1990 to the Sociocultural deg...
- Leuven, BelgiumLeuven, Belgium
EMMAPA aims to provide state-of-the-art research and teaching methodology in adapted physical activity.
- Charlotte, NCCharlotte, NC
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Dunedin, New ZealandDunedin, New Zealand
University of Otago
The University is committed to international education and has long been acknowledged as a leader in this field in New Zealand.
- Erie, PAErie, PA
Students in our Master of Science with a major in Sport and Exercise Science program receive advanced training in human...
- Warrensburg, MOWarrensburg, MO
University of Central Missouri
This program is designed for physical educators seeking advanced study in physical education, exercise and sport science.
- Boone, NCBoone, NC
Appalachian State University
MS Exercise Science degree: Clinical Exercise Physiology Research Strength and Conditioning...
- Arcata, CAArcata, CA
Humboldt State University
The primary objective of the master's program is to prepare students to assume a variety of leadership roles in physical education professions.
- Augusta, GAAugusta, GA
Georgia Regents University
The Masters of Science in Kinesiology (M.S.K) degree provides the knowledge and experience to students who have a related degree (e.g. B.S. Ed. in Health and Physical Education, B.S. in exercise science, exercise physiology, health science, allied he...
- Coventry, United KingdomCoventry, United Kingdom
- Blacksburg, VABlacksburg, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
The College of Human Resources and Education ranks among the leading programs of its kind in the United States and was ranked first in production of theses and dissertations for the past five years. The faculty are regarded as productive scholars and le...
- Ithaca, NYIthaca, NY
Ithaca's School of Health Sciences and Human Performance offers master of science degrees in exercise and sport sciences.
- Boston, MABoston, MA
The Human Movement Program prepares students for physical education and coaching responsibilities in elementary and secondary schools, independent schools and colleges, youth agencies, fitness and social service organizations, and community-based associ...
- Bangor, United KingdomBangor, United Kingdom
University of Wales - Bangor
- Victoria, BCVictoria, BC
University of Victoria