Masters in Kinesiology Schools (On-Campus)
If you are drawn to the study of human movement and physiology and are looking for a career-focused program in health studies, you might benefit from a masters in kinesiology on campus program, especially if you have been studying exercise science, exercise physiology or physical education.
Kinesiology Job Outlook
Whether your goal is to continue to a PhD in kinesiology or related field, pursue work as a physical education teacher, a physical therapist, in sports administration, or in athletic training and rehabilitation, there are masters in kinesiology on campus programs that could help prepare you to pursue your goals in some fast growing fields. Some of the occupations with faster than average projected job outlooks for the next decade include:
- Athletic trainers and exercise physiologists: 19% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Physical Therapist: 36% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Physical Therapists assistants and aides: 41% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[iii]
What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the relevance of kinesiology to human health includes biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
How Do I Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools?
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review options for masters in kinesiology schools and programs.
You can perform a location search to determine where you could pursue your studies; simply use the city, state, or country tabs and browse results for different campuses offering the kind of kinesiology masters program you are looking for. You can refine that search by entering any area of specialization you are interested in or look for the programs that offer a PhD Kinesiology track so that you can continue your studies further. Some of your choices are Master of Science in Kinesiology programs and Master of Science in Exercise Sciences.
What Are The Potential Advantages To Earning a Masters in Kinesiology Campus Degree?
There are some potential advantages to studying on-campus vs online or hybrid;
- Interactions: Face to face interactions with peers, teaching assistants and professors.
- Access: Use of the campus facilities. This means libraries, laboratories and can include the athletic amenities, which is great if you are studying exercise science!
- Networking: You can join the community of fellow students, network, and enjoy group study if that benefits you
Potential Curriculum Kinesiology Master’s Programs
The curriculum in kinesiology master’s programs can vary depending on the school and may be determined by any specialization you have chosen. Some of the courses that students might study kinesiology masters programs may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
What Are Some Potential Career Paths for Masters in Kinesiology Graduates?
Some of the potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates might depend on the level of study reached, and other factors. These could include:
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, and commonly earn Master’s degrees[i]
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain and need a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and state licensure[ii]
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists and typically need an associate’s degree for entry level employment[iii]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities[iv]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[v]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments, and about 285 hold Master’s degrees[vi]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[vii]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students; some states may require a master’s degree[viii]
Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools
For the student who has a passion for health and wellness, combined with a love of looking at exercise from the scientific point of view, earning a master’s in kinesiology may be a great choice for your graduate studies. Begin researching kinesiology masters schools to find a degree program that may have the potential to help prepare you for a brilliant future in a number of different professional outcomes. Browse the listings below or use the filter to the left to search by location or degree type.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
- Mobile, ALMobile, AL
University of South Alabama
- Monroe, LAMonroe, LA
University of Louisiana At Monroe
The Department of Kinesiology offers a Master of Science Degree in Exercise Science in either clinical or applied exercise physiology.
- Dayton, INDayton, IN
University of Dayton
The Department of Health and Sport Science offers a program leading to the Master of Science in Education with a specialization in exercise science.
- Salt Lake City, UTSalt Lake City, UT
University of Utah
The mission of the Department of Exercise and Sport Science is to enhance health and quality of life through the promotion of participation in regular physical activity. With a focus on efficiency of movement, the Department seeks to enhance sport perfo...
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
City University London
- Waterloo, QCWaterloo, QC
University of Waterloo
The Department of Kinesiology, established in 1967 (the first such department in the world), offers programs in the study of human physical activity. The four main areas of study are: biomechanics, psychomotor behaviour, work physiology, or sociology of...
- Stellenbosch, South AfricaStellenbosch, South Africa
University of Stellenbosch
- Sacramento, CASacramento, CA
California State University, Sacramento
- Cape Girardeau, MOCape Girardeau, MO
Southeast Missouri State University
The Master of Science in Nutrition and Exercise Science is an interdisciplinary degree offered jointly with the Department of Human Environmental Studies. The program combines the areas of Exercise Physiology, Medical Nutrition Therapy, and Exercise Pro...
- Cape Girardeau, MO
- Wales, United KingdomWales, United Kingdom
University of Glamorgan
Sport and Exercise Science has become an extremely popular subject for university undergraduates.
- Pomona, CAPomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University Pomona
The Master of Science in Kinesiology curriculum provides students with advanced knowledge and expertise in exercise physiology, fitness assessment, ex...
- Buies Creek, NCBuies Creek, NC
- Athens, GAAthens, GA
University of Georgia
The mission of the kinesiology graduate programs in the department is to educate students, conduct research, and provide...
- Rostock, GermanyRostock, Germany
University of Rostock
- Moscow, IDMoscow, ID
University of Idaho
A Master of Science in Movement and Leisure Sciences focuses on the study of human health and physical activity.
- Frostburg, MDFrostburg, MD
Frostburg State University
The Master of Science degree in Human Performance is designed to prepare students who are interested in pursuing careers in corporate fitness, communi...
- Iowa City, IAIowa City, IA
University of Iowa
The Department of Exercise Science offers three programs for advanced degrees. The graduate program includes the Master of Science without thesis, the Master of Science with thesis, and the Ph.D. Students may choose from five different areas of speciali...
- Coral Gables, FLCoral Gables, FL
University of Miami
Designed to produce highly qualified and elite practitioners in the field of athletic performance.
- Coral Gables, FL
- Fredericton, NBFredericton, NB
University of New Brunswick - Fredericton
The Graduate Program of the Faculty of Kinesiology is designed to blend the best of theory with the best of practice.
- Sunderland, United KingdomSunderland, United Kingdom
University of Sunderland
- Chapel Hill, NCChapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Master of Physical Therapy (MPT) The MPT Program is designed for the person with an undergraduate degree in a field other than physical therapy. The program entails two years of full time study. Movement Science (HMSC Program, MS) The Master's Progr...
- Lexington, KYLexington, KY
University of Kentucky
The KHP Department offers B.A., M.S., Ed.D. and Ph.D. degrees with specialization in the following areas: athletic training, biomechanics, exercise ph...
- Memphis, TNMemphis, TN
University of Memphis
Program provides a strong theoretical background combined with an emphasis on research and clinical applications.
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
California State University, Los Angeles