Masters in Kinesiology on Campus Programs and Degrees
If you are drawn to the study of human movement and physiology and are looking for a career-focused program in health studies, you might benefit from a masters in kinesiology on campus program, especially if you have been studying exercise science, exercise physiology or physical education.
Whether your goal is to continue to a PhD in kinesiology or related field, pursue work as a physical education teacher, a physical therapist, in sports administration, or in athletic training and rehabilitation, there are masters in kinesiology on campus programs that could help prepare you up to pursue your goals in some fast growing fields. Some of the occupations with faster than average projected job outlooks for the next decade include:
- Athletic trainers and exercise physiologists: 19% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Physical Therapist: 36% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Physical Therapists assistants and aides: 41% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[iii]
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the relevance of kinesiology to human health includes biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
How do I find masters in kinesiology schools?
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review options for masters in kinesiology schools and programs.
You can perform a location search to determine where you could pursue your studies; simply use the city, state, or country tabs and browse results for different campuses offering the kind of kinesiology masters program you are looking for. You can refine that search by entering any area of specialization you are interested in or look for the programs that offer a PhD Kinesiology track so that you can continue your
studies further. Some of your choices are Master of Science in Kinesiology programs and Master of Science in Exercise Sciences.
What are the potential advantages to earning a masters in kinesiology on campus degree?
Perhaps you have always dreamt of studying on a college campus. If so, there are some potential advantages to this format of learning.
- Interactions: Face to face interactions with peers, teaching assistants and professors.
- Access: Use of the campus facilities. This means libraries, laboratories and can include the athletic amenities, which is great if you are studying exercise science!
- Networking: You can join the community of fellow students, network, and enjoy group study if that benefits you
Potential Curriculum for campus Kinesiology Master’s programs
The curriculum in kinesiology master’s programs can vary depending on the school and may be determined by any specialization you have chosen. Some of the courses that students might study kinesiology masters programs may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
What are some potential career paths for Masters in Kinesiology on Campus graduates?
Some of the potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates might depend on the level of study reached, and other factors. These could include:
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, and commonly earn Master’s degrees[i]
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain and need a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and state licensure[ii]
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists and typically need an associate’s degree for entry level employment[iii]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities[iv]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[v]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments, and about 285 hold Master’s degrees[vi]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[vii]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students; some states may require a master’s degree[viii]
Ready to pursue a Masters in Kinesiology on Campus degree?
For the student who has a passion for health and wellness, combined with a love of looking at exercise from the scientific point of view, earning a master’s in kinesiology may be a great choice for your graduate studies. Begin researching kinesiology masters schools on GradSchools.com to find a degree program that may have the potential to help prepare you for a brilliant future in a number of different professional outcomes.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
- Huntsville, TXHuntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University
The Master of Science in Kinesiology emphasizes sport and human performance.
- Kent, OHKent, OH
Kent State University
The Exercise Physiology program develops the competencies needed for those who intend to teach exercise physiology, pursue research or apply exercise physiology in practice.
- Oxford, OHOxford, OH
- Erie, MIErie, MI
Provides knowledge & certification in the use of exercise programming for the prevention, treatment & rehabilitation of disease.
- Clinton, CTClinton, CT
Kinesiology, the study of human movement, is the art and science on which growing fields like physical therapy are based.
- Bloomsburg, PABloomsburg, PA
Bloomsburg University Of Pennsylvania
Two tracks of study.
- Normal, ILNormal, IL
Illinois State University
Kinesiology and Recreation
The mission is to prepare professionals committed to the promotion of health-enhancing lifestyles by emphasizing the role of scholarship and focused d...
- Las Vegas, NMLas Vegas, NM
New Mexico Highlands University
- Brooklyn, NYBrooklyn, NY
Brooklyn College Of The City University Of New York
This master of science degree program is designed to teach students about human movement and rehabilitation, with emphasis on cardiopulmonary rehabili...
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Northeastern Illinois University
The M.S. in Exercise Science program is to promote fitness and optimal health through teaching, research, and service.
- Lake Charles, LALake Charles, LA
Mcneese State University
- Mississippi State, MSMississippi State, MS
Mississippi State University
- Moraga, CAMoraga, CA
St. Mary's College Of California
The Master of Arts in Kinesiology offered by the School of Liberal Arts, provides special emphasis in administration an...
- Auburn, ALAuburn, AL
- East Lansing, MIEast Lansing, MI
Michigan State University
The Department of Kinesiology offers: (a) undergraduate programs in athletic training, exercise science, and physical education/teacher education; (b) master's degree concentrations in adapted physical activity, athletic training, biomechanics, coaching...
- Corvallis, ORCorvallis, OR
Oregon State University
- Rochester, MIRochester, MI
The program focuses on the role of exercise in health improvement and prevention of chronic degenerative disease.
- New Haven, CTNew Haven, CT
Southern Connecticut State University
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
South Bank University, London
- Dunedin, New ZealandDunedin, New Zealand
University of Otago
The University is committed to international education and has long been acknowledged as a leader in this field in New Zealand.
- Las Vegas, NVLas Vegas, NV
University of Nevada Las Vegas
The Department of Kinesiology offers programs of study that lead to a Master of Science degree in Exercise Physiology or Kinesiology.
The George Washington University
Established in the heart of the nation's capital in 1821, GW provides innovative programs in more than 200 fields of study, including graduate certifi...
- La Crosse, WILa Crosse, WI
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Program provides theoretical, laboratory, research, and clinical experiences for employment in adult exercise, corporate fitness, and cardiopulmonary...