Pennsylvania Masters in Kinesiology on Campus Programs and Degrees
If you are drawn to the study of human movement and physiology and are looking for a career-focused program in health studies, you might benefit from a masters in kinesiology on campus program, especially if you have been studying exercise science, exercise physiology or physical education.
Whether your goal is to continue to a PhD in kinesiology or related field, pursue work as a physical education teacher, a physical therapist, in sports administration, or in athletic training and rehabilitation, there are masters in kinesiology on campus programs that could help prepare you up to pursue your goals in some fast growing fields. Some of the occupations with faster than average projected job outlooks for the next decade include:
- Athletic trainers and exercise physiologists: 19% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Physical Therapist: 36% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Physical Therapists assistants and aides: 41% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[iii]
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the relevance of kinesiology to human health includes biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
How do I find masters in kinesiology schools?
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review options for masters in kinesiology schools and programs.
You can perform a location search to determine where you could pursue your studies; simply use the city, state, or country tabs and browse results for different campuses offering the kind of kinesiology masters program you are looking for. You can refine that search by entering any area of specialization you are interested in or look for the programs that offer a PhD Kinesiology track so that you can continue your
studies further. Some of your choices are Master of Science in Kinesiology programs and Master of Science in Exercise Sciences.
What are the potential advantages to earning a masters in kinesiology on campus degree?
Perhaps you have always dreamt of studying on a college campus. If so, there are some potential advantages to this format of learning.
- Interactions: Face to face interactions with peers, teaching assistants and professors.
- Access: Use of the campus facilities. This means libraries, laboratories and can include the athletic amenities, which is great if you are studying exercise science!
- Networking: You can join the community of fellow students, network, and enjoy group study if that benefits you
Potential Curriculum for campus Kinesiology Master’s programs
The curriculum in kinesiology master’s programs can vary depending on the school and may be determined by any specialization you have chosen. Some of the courses that students might study kinesiology masters programs may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
What are some potential career paths for Masters in Kinesiology on Campus graduates?
Some of the potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates might depend on the level of study reached, and other factors. These could include:
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, and commonly earn Master’s degrees[i]
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain and need a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and state licensure[ii]
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists and typically need an associate’s degree for entry level employment[iii]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities[iv]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[v]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments, and about 285 hold Master’s degrees[vi]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[vii]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students; some states may require a master’s degree[viii]
Ready to pursue a Masters in Kinesiology on Campus degree?
For the student who has a passion for health and wellness, combined with a love of looking at exercise from the scientific point of view, earning a master’s in kinesiology may be a great choice for your graduate studies. Begin researching kinesiology masters schools on GradSchools.com to find a degree program that may have the potential to help prepare you for a brilliant future in a number of different professional outcomes.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
- Slippery Rock, PASlippery Rock, PA
Slippery Rock University
The Master of Science degree in Adapted Physical Activity is a 30-credit hour program.
- Erie, PAErie, PA
Students in our Master of Science with a major in Sport and Exercise Science program receive advanced training in human...
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
The Dance Movement Therapy program at Drexel University opened in 1974. The program focuses on developing and integrating the student's personal, intellectual and movement resources so that they can facilitate access to those resources with their client...
- University Park, PAUniversity Park, PA
Pennsylvania State University
Kinesiology - Master
Our academic focus is in the arts and sciences of human movement. We offer a broad range of disciplinary performance and professional programs as they relate to the study of physical activity and fitness.
- East Stroudsburg, PAEast Stroudsburg, PA
East Stroudsburg University
The MS in Exercise Science consists of a minimum 35-credit thesis program structured to provide students with advanced study across specialized...
- Bloomsburg, PABloomsburg, PA
Bloomsburg University Of Pennsylvania
Two tracks of study.
- Philadelphia, PAPhiladelphia, PA
We teach undergraduate and graduate students state-of-the-art concepts and techniques in Kinesiology and help these students to attain their professional goals. Central to the mission is the discovery and dissemination of knowledge through a multi-di...
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
University of Pittsburgh
The Exercise Physiology specialization focuses on the biodynamics of exercise, its role in the training and conditioning of sport participants, its benefits as a therapeutic agent in the prevention and rehabilitation of disease, and as an adjunct to hea...
- Indiana, PAIndiana, PA
Indiana University Of Pennsylvania
The Master of Science in Sport Science is designed to meet the needs of students from both teaching and non-teaching professions...
- Scranton, PAScranton, PA
Marywood’s new master’s degree in Kinesiology has two tracks: The coaching/teaching track meets the needs of teachers and coaches and the exercise science/wellness track meets the needs of health professionals, fitness professionals, athletic trainers,...