California Masters in Kinesiology Schools (On-Campus)
If you are drawn to the study of human movement and physiology and are looking for a career-focused program in health studies, you might benefit from a masters in kinesiology on campus program, especially if you have been studying exercise science, exercise physiology or physical education.
Kinesiology Job Outlook
Whether your goal is to continue to a PhD in kinesiology or related field, pursue work as a physical education teacher, a physical therapist, in sports administration, or in athletic training and rehabilitation, there are masters in kinesiology on campus programs that could help prepare you to pursue your goals in some fast growing fields. Some of the occupations with faster than average projected job outlooks for the next decade include:
- Athletic trainers and exercise physiologists: 19% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Physical Therapist: 36% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Physical Therapists assistants and aides: 41% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[iii]
What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the relevance of kinesiology to human health includes biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
How Do I Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools?
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review options for masters in kinesiology schools and programs.
You can perform a location search to determine where you could pursue your studies; simply use the city, state, or country tabs and browse results for different campuses offering the kind of kinesiology masters program you are looking for. You can refine that search by entering any area of specialization you are interested in or look for the programs that offer a PhD Kinesiology track so that you can continue your studies further. Some of your choices are Master of Science in Kinesiology programs and Master of Science in Exercise Sciences.
What Are The Potential Advantages To Earning a Masters in Kinesiology Campus Degree?
There are some potential advantages to studying on-campus vs online or hybrid;
- Interactions: Face to face interactions with peers, teaching assistants and professors.
- Access: Use of the campus facilities. This means libraries, laboratories and can include the athletic amenities, which is great if you are studying exercise science!
- Networking: You can join the community of fellow students, network, and enjoy group study if that benefits you
Potential Curriculum Kinesiology Master’s Programs
The curriculum in kinesiology master’s programs can vary depending on the school and may be determined by any specialization you have chosen. Some of the courses that students might study kinesiology masters programs may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
What Are Some Potential Career Paths for Masters in Kinesiology Graduates?
Some of the potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates might depend on the level of study reached, and other factors. These could include:
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, and commonly earn Master’s degrees[i]
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain and need a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and state licensure[ii]
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists and typically need an associate’s degree for entry level employment[iii]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities[iv]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[v]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments, and about 285 hold Master’s degrees[vi]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[vii]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students; some states may require a master’s degree[viii]
Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools
For the student who has a passion for health and wellness, combined with a love of looking at exercise from the scientific point of view, earning a master’s in kinesiology may be a great choice for your graduate studies. Begin researching kinesiology masters schools to find a degree program that may have the potential to help prepare you for a brilliant future in a number of different professional outcomes. Browse the listings below or use the filter to the left to search by location or degree type.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
University of Southern California
The graduate program for the M.S. in biokinesiology is open to physical therapists who have baccalaureate degrees or certificates in physical therapy and have clinical experience. The M.S. program also is open to college graduates with a strong interest...
- Los Angeles, CA
- Northridge, CANorthridge, CA
California State University, Northridge
- Long Beach, CALong Beach, CA
California State University, Long Beach
- Moraga, CAMoraga, CA
St. Mary's College Of California
The Master of Arts in Kinesiology offered by the School of Liberal Arts, provides special emphasis in administration an...
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
San Francisco State University
- San Diego, CASan Diego, CA
San Diego State University
The Master of Science degree in exercise physiology has strong theoretical and practical components that provide a basis for students who anticipate e...
- San Jose, CASan Jose, CA
San Jose State University
The Department of Kinesiology seeks to promote and provide for the academic study of human movement, physical activity, and sport.
- Fresno, CAFresno, CA
California State University, Fresno
Kinesiology is a term which implies broad and inclusive study of human movement: art, science, historical evolution, roles in society, and impact upon...
- Davis, CADavis, CA
University of California - Davis
The program offers emphases either in biomechanics or exercise physiology with two primary objectives: to provide a sound basis for advanced graduate...
- Sacramento, CASacramento, CA
California State University, Sacramento
- Pomona, CAPomona, CA
California State Polytechnic University Pomona
The Master of Science in Kinesiology curriculum provides students with advanced knowledge and expertise in exercise physiology, fitness assessment, ex...
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
California State University, Los Angeles
- Stockton, CAStockton, CA
University of The Pacific
The University of the Pacific Health, Exercise, and Sport Sciences curriculum focuses on how physical activity and sport contribute to quality of life. Study areas include exercise science, sport management and sport pedagogy.
- Hayward, CAHayward, CA
California State University, East Bay
M.S. in Kinesiology prepares students broadly in the scholarly skills and fundamental knowledge basic to the discipline of Kinesiology and Physical Ed...
- Fullerton, CAFullerton, CA
California State University, Fullerton
- Arcata, CAArcata, CA
Humboldt State University
The primary objective of the master's program is to prepare students to assume a variety of leadership roles in physical education professions.