United States Masters in Kinesiology Schools (On-Campus)
If you are drawn to the study of human movement and physiology and are looking for a career-focused program in health studies, you might benefit from a masters in kinesiology on campus program, especially if you have been studying exercise science, exercise physiology or physical education.
Kinesiology Job Outlook
Whether your goal is to continue to a PhD in kinesiology or related field, pursue work as a physical education teacher, a physical therapist, in sports administration, or in athletic training and rehabilitation, there are masters in kinesiology on campus programs that could help prepare you to pursue your goals in some fast growing fields. Some of the occupations with faster than average projected job outlooks for the next decade include:
- Athletic trainers and exercise physiologists: 19% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Physical Therapist: 36% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Physical Therapists assistants and aides: 41% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[iii]
What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the relevance of kinesiology to human health includes biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
How Do I Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools?
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review options for masters in kinesiology schools and programs.
You can perform a location search to determine where you could pursue your studies; simply use the city, state, or country tabs and browse results for different campuses offering the kind of kinesiology masters program you are looking for. You can refine that search by entering any area of specialization you are interested in or look for the programs that offer a PhD Kinesiology track so that you can continue your studies further. Some of your choices are Master of Science in Kinesiology programs and Master of Science in Exercise Sciences.
What Are The Potential Advantages To Earning a Masters in Kinesiology Campus Degree?
There are some potential advantages to studying on-campus vs online or hybrid;
- Interactions: Face to face interactions with peers, teaching assistants and professors.
- Access: Use of the campus facilities. This means libraries, laboratories and can include the athletic amenities, which is great if you are studying exercise science!
- Networking: You can join the community of fellow students, network, and enjoy group study if that benefits you
Potential Curriculum Kinesiology Master’s Programs
The curriculum in kinesiology master’s programs can vary depending on the school and may be determined by any specialization you have chosen. Some of the courses that students might study kinesiology masters programs may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
What Are Some Potential Career Paths for Masters in Kinesiology Graduates?
Some of the potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates might depend on the level of study reached, and other factors. These could include:
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, and commonly earn Master’s degrees[i]
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain and need a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and state licensure[ii]
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists and typically need an associate’s degree for entry level employment[iii]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities[iv]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[v]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments, and about 285 hold Master’s degrees[vi]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[vii]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students; some states may require a master’s degree[viii]
Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools
For the student who has a passion for health and wellness, combined with a love of looking at exercise from the scientific point of view, earning a master’s in kinesiology may be a great choice for your graduate studies. Begin researching kinesiology masters schools to find a degree program that may have the potential to help prepare you for a brilliant future in a number of different professional outcomes. Browse the listings below or use the filter to the left to search by location or degree type.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
- Huntsville, TXHuntsville, TX
Sam Houston State University
The Master of Science in Kinesiology emphasizes sport and human performance.
- Brooklyn, NYBrooklyn, NY
Brooklyn College Of The City University Of New York
This master of science degree program is designed to teach students about human movement and rehabilitation, with emphasis on cardiopulmonary rehabili...
- Nacogdoches, TXNacogdoches, TX
Stephen F Austin State University
- Long Beach, CALong Beach, CA
California State University, Long Beach
- Northampton, MANorthampton, MA
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
University of Pittsburgh
The Exercise Physiology specialization focuses on the biodynamics of exercise, its role in the training and conditioning of sport participants, its benefits as a therapeutic agent in the prevention and rehabilitation of disease, and as an adjunct to hea...
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
University of Illinois at Chicago
The Department of Movement Sciences at UIC offers the M.S. in Movement Sciences with specialization's in Applied Exercise Physiology, Exercise Biology, Motor Control and Learning, and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) with an emphasis in Exercise Biology...
- Las Vegas, NMLas Vegas, NM
New Mexico Highlands University
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
University of Southern California
The graduate program for the M.S. in biokinesiology is open to physical therapists who have baccalaureate degrees or certificates in physical therapy and have clinical experience. The M.S. program also is open to college graduates with a strong interest...
- Los Angeles, CA
- Provo, UTProvo, UT
Brigham Young University
This program provides students with advanced training in exercise physiology. Students are prepared to assume leadership roles in the broad field of professional exercise science (i.e., corporate fitness, personal training), to enter medical programs (i...
- Statesboro, GAStatesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University
Master's in Exercise Science for students interested in advanced and specialized study in the biophysical aspects of exercise.
- Grand Forks, NDGrand Forks, ND
University of North Dakota
The Department of Physical Education, Exercise Science, and Wellness offers the M.S. in Kinesiology.
- Fort Collins, COFort Collins, CO
Colorado State University
Students may obtain a M.S. degree in Health and Exercise Science.
- Muncie, INMuncie, IN
Ball State University
If you could choose the ideal college -- one that provided you powerful resources (world class faculty, facilities, technology, and academics) for personal learning (small classes, with extensive faculty interaction and contact) -- you would choose Ball...
- Muncie, IN
- Indiana, PAIndiana, PA
Indiana University Of Pennsylvania
The Master of Science in Sport Science is designed to meet the needs of students from both teaching and non-teaching professions...
- Syracuse, NYSyracuse, NY
At the graduate level in Exercise Science, we provide an atmosphere that inspires inquiry, innovation, and involvement. We reach beyond traditional practices and encourage you to challenge issues you feel are important. Ultimately, we want to give you o...
- Northridge, CANorthridge, CA
California State University, Northridge
- Normal, ILNormal, IL
Illinois State University
Kinesiology and Recreation
The mission is to prepare professionals committed to the promotion of health-enhancing lifestyles by emphasizing the role of scholarship and focused d...
- Clinton, CTClinton, CT
Kinesiology, the study of human movement, is the art and science on which growing fields like physical therapy are based.
- Warrensburg, MOWarrensburg, MO
University of Central Missouri
This program is designed for physical educators seeking advanced study in physical education, exercise and sport science.
- Boise, IDBoise, ID
Boise State University
For teachers who want to improve their instructional skills and assess their efforts as educators.
- Urbana, ILUrbana, IL
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Kinesiology at the University of Illinois offers degree programs which are individually designed with each student planning, in consultation with their academic advisor, a program of course work and involvement in research activities a...
- Westminster, MDWestminster, MD
McDaniel College provides a strong curriculum within the M.S. in Kinesiology program to prepare professionals for educator, administrator, or researcher roles.
- Manhattan, KSManhattan, KS
Kansas State University
Kinesiology integrates perspectives from a number of domains into its own unique body of knowledge, that of human movement.
- Ames, IAAmes, IA
Iowa State University
Our students are prepared as kinesiologists in a positive, supportive environment in which both biological and behavioral contributions to the study of physical activity are examined. Our students also develop strong teaching skills. Areas of emphasis i...