Canada Masters in Kinesiology Schools (On-Campus)
If you are drawn to the study of human movement and physiology and are looking for a career-focused program in health studies, you might benefit from a masters in kinesiology on campus program, especially if you have been studying exercise science, exercise physiology or physical education.
Kinesiology Job Outlook
Whether your goal is to continue to a PhD in kinesiology or related field, pursue work as a physical education teacher, a physical therapist, in sports administration, or in athletic training and rehabilitation, there are masters in kinesiology on campus programs that could help prepare you to pursue your goals in some fast growing fields. Some of the occupations with faster than average projected job outlooks for the next decade include:
- Athletic trainers and exercise physiologists: 19% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Physical Therapist: 36% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Physical Therapists assistants and aides: 41% growth rate from 2012 to 2022[iii]
What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology is defined as the scientific study of human movement, and addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Some of the relevance of kinesiology to human health includes biomechanics, orthopedics, sport psychology, exercise science, and methods of rehabilitation such as physical therapy and occupational therapy.
How Do I Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools?
GradSchools.com makes it easy to review options for masters in kinesiology schools and programs.
You can perform a location search to determine where you could pursue your studies; simply use the city, state, or country tabs and browse results for different campuses offering the kind of kinesiology masters program you are looking for. You can refine that search by entering any area of specialization you are interested in or look for the programs that offer a PhD Kinesiology track so that you can continue your studies further. Some of your choices are Master of Science in Kinesiology programs and Master of Science in Exercise Sciences.
What Are The Potential Advantages To Earning a Masters in Kinesiology Campus Degree?
There are some potential advantages to studying on-campus vs online or hybrid;
- Interactions: Face to face interactions with peers, teaching assistants and professors.
- Access: Use of the campus facilities. This means libraries, laboratories and can include the athletic amenities, which is great if you are studying exercise science!
- Networking: You can join the community of fellow students, network, and enjoy group study if that benefits you
Potential Curriculum Kinesiology Master’s Programs
The curriculum in kinesiology master’s programs can vary depending on the school and may be determined by any specialization you have chosen. Some of the courses that students might study kinesiology masters programs may include:
- Cell Biology
- Metabolic Chemistry
- Motor learning
- Nutrition, diet, wellness
- Leadership and teacher education
- Risk management
- Sport management
- Physical education
What Are Some Potential Career Paths for Masters in Kinesiology Graduates?
Some of the potential career paths for masters in kinesiology graduates might depend on the level of study reached, and other factors. These could include:
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists: specialize in preventing, diagnosing and treating muscle and bone injuries and illnesses, and commonly earn Master’s degrees[i]
- Physical Therapists: help injured or ill people improve their movement and manage their pain and need a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree and state licensure[ii]
- Physical Therapist Assistants and aides work under the direction and supervision of physical therapists and typically need an associate’s degree for entry level employment[iii]
- Fitness Trainers: lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise related activities[iv]
- Coaches: teach amateur or professional athletes the skills they need to succeed at their sport[v]
- Adapted Physical Education Specialists: provide physical education instruction or services to children, youth, or adults with exceptional physical needs due to motor developmental delays or other impairments, and about 285 hold Master’s degrees[vi]
- Recreation and Fitness Studies teachers teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness, which can include exercise physiology[vii]
- Physical Education teachers (high school) teach various skills to high school students; some states may require a master’s degree[viii]
Find Masters in Kinesiology Schools
For the student who has a passion for health and wellness, combined with a love of looking at exercise from the scientific point of view, earning a master’s in kinesiology may be a great choice for your graduate studies. Begin researching kinesiology masters schools to find a degree program that may have the potential to help prepare you for a brilliant future in a number of different professional outcomes. Browse the listings below or use the filter to the left to search by location or degree type.
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapists.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physical-therapist-assistants-and-aides.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/coaches-and-scouts.htm | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-2059.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/25-1193.00 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm#tab-2
- Halifax, NSHalifax, NS
The Master of Science in Kinesiology program builds on the undergraduate foundation of the study of human movement in a...
- Kingston, NSKingston, NS
Queen's University, Ontario, Canada
Our programs offer you the opportunity to study human movement from a range of perspectives. Whether you are interested in the mechanics of movement, physiological responses to exercise, health promotion, the psychology of sport or the effects of biolog...
- Hamilton, ONHamilton, ON
- Ottawa, ONOttawa, ON
University of Ottawa
- Burnaby, BCBurnaby, BC
Simon Fraser University
The School of Kinesiology has extensive modern facilities supporting graduate and faculty research. Graduate students are provided with a highly interactive and personalized environment and faculty research is well funded by both external and internal g...
- Calgary, ABCalgary, AB
University of Calgary
- Winnipeg, MBWinnipeg, MB
University of Manitoba
Offers two thesis-based degree programs: M.A. and M.Sc.
- Fredericton, NBFredericton, NB
University of New Brunswick - Fredericton
The Graduate Program of the Faculty of Kinesiology is designed to blend the best of theory with the best of practice.
- London, ONLondon, ON
University of Western Ontario
The Faculty has offered a graduate program leading to the Master of Arts degree since 1963. The doctoral program leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Kinesiology was initiated in the fall of 1978 and extended in 1990 to the Sociocultural deg...
- Waterloo, QCWaterloo, QC
University of Waterloo
The Department of Kinesiology, established in 1967 (the first such department in the world), offers programs in the study of human physical activity. The four main areas of study are: biomechanics, psychomotor behaviour, work physiology, or sociology of...
- North York, ONNorth York, ON
The Graduate Program in Kinesiology and Health Science is home to world class researchers who investigate diverse aspects of physical activity, movement, fitness and human health. Graduate student training involves advanced coursework and an emphasis on...
- Windsor, ONWindsor, ON
University of Windsor
A program that prepares students for Ph.D. or the employment sector in either sport management or applied human performance areas.
- Toronto, ONToronto, ON
University of Toronto
The Graduate Department of Exercise Sciences is committed to the advancement of knowledge about physical activity and health.
- Quebec, QCQuebec, QC
- Vancouver, BCVancouver, BC
University of British Columbia
The M.A. and M.Sc. are thesis-based degrees while the M.H.K. requires a graduating paper. Teaching Assistantships and other financial aid are available on a limited and competitive basis.
- Victoria, BCVictoria, BC
University of Victoria
- Thunder Bay, ONThunder Bay, ON
- Lethbridge, ABLethbridge, AB
University of Lethbridge
The Master of Arts and the Master of Science programs offer students in a wide range of disciplines the opportunity to earn a Master's degree by writing a Thesis and successfully completing a limited number of courses.