Florida Online Masters in Ethics Programs and Degrees
Online Masters in Ethics Programs and Degree Info
Do you have a passion for intellectual enquiry? Do you enjoy debating issues of moral conduct or exploring philosophical questions? If so, enrolling in and online masters in ethics program might be a solid academic choice.
Ethics is the branch of philosophy that involves systematizing, defending, and recommending concepts of right or wrong. Philosophical and ethical studies can be interdisciplinary; ethics shapes many other fields of study, including science, physics, business, law, politics and leadership, the environment, journalism and religion, as beliefs and theories can form the basis for ethical and philosophical inquiries. Broadly, the study of ethics investigates topics such as concepts of good and evil, right and wrong, virtue and vice and justice and crime. It asks questions such as:
- What is the best way for people to live?
- What is the right decision to take in these particular circumstances?
- What is morally right?
DID YOU KNOW?: Corporate ethical handling of serious problems, such as faulty equipment, compliance with regulations in the finance world, cloning and DNA testing all involve some kind of ethics.
What Are The Potential Advantages To Earning My Online Masters in Ethics degree?
Choosing to pursue your master’s degree in ethics online might be a great option for the student who needs a flexible format. Some programs may allow students to log into a course management system at their own convenience, making this a good choice for the person who needs to balance learning with work, family, or other commitment. The latest digital tools generally keep you connected to classmates and professors, and access to online library and research tools, so you may still feel like you are part of the college atmosphere.
How Do I Choose An Online Masters in Ethics Program?
Choosing a program can be a
question of determining what type of ethics most interests you, and what potential occupation you are aspiring to pursue. Also, since some occupations might require a Ph.D.or related degree for entry, consider if the program you are considering offers a track towards accomplishing these goals[i]. Some of the options for online masters programs in ethics are Master of Arts in Ethics, and Master of Science in Ethics. The broad discipline in philosophy that attempts to apply ethical theory to real-life situations is called Applied Ethics and has many specialized fields.
- Bioethics : this is the study of ethics that has formed as a result of advances in medicine and biology, and is concerned with issues that arise in biotechnology. A bioethics degree can provide students with the knowledge and skills to address ethical issues that arise in biomedical research, clinical medicine and health policy.
- Coursework: Students can expect to study ethics as it relates to the environment medicine, or health care.
- Business Ethics: also called corporate ethics and professional ethics is concerned with evaluating regulatory changes, compliance issues, legal, ethical and reputation issues, as well as be involved in understanding mergers and acquisitions.
- Coursework: Students can expect to study ethics with some emphasis on law and policy, business administration, and leadership courses.
- Political Ethics: is concerned with public ethics, moral judgments, political decision-making and justice. A public policy maker or analyst shape society through research and problem solving and can rely on ethics to arrive at conclusions in their work[ii].
- Coursework: Students can expect to study global ethics, human rights and policy.
Master in Ethics: Learn Valuable Skills That May Help You Pursue Interesting Potential Career Opportunities
Some of the proficiencies that may be cultivated in ethics masters programs might potentially translate into skill-sets that are recognized by potential future employers in a variety of fields. For instance, you might develop skills like: how to reason by studying philosophy in general, and ethics in particular, a student can learn how to reason, learn how to form an argument, and then prepare for debate. This might come in handy in a profession such as:
- Political Scientist: who study the origin, development, and operation of political systems. They research political ideas and analyze governments, policies, political trends and related issues. Employment in this field is projected to grow 21% from 2012-2022![i]
- Lawyers: Advise and represent individuals, businesses, and government agencies on legal issues and disputes[iii]
- Policy Analysts: Create policy, propose solutions to various issues including the environment and crime, and evaluate program effectiveness[iv]
- Financial Examiners: Ensure compliance with laws governing financial institutions and transactions. They review documents such as balance sheets, evaluate the risk level of loans, and assess bank management[v]
- Compliance Officers: Examine, evaluate and investigate eligibility for conformity with laws and regulations governing contract compliance of licenses and permits, and enforcement inspection activities not classified elsewhere[vi]
- Auditor: Prepare and examine financial records. They ensure that financial records are accurate, that taxes are filed on time, and assess financial operations to ensure businesses and organizations are run efficiently[vii]
- Medical Scientist: Conduct research aimed at improving overall human health. They often use clinical trials and other investigative methods[vii]
- Reporters, Correspondents and Broadcast News Analysts: Management and business ethics are popular topics. A writer, analyst or reporter with a degree in Business ethics might have the understanding of regulatory issues, and be able to communicate effectively through various media platforms[ix]
- Top Executives: Devise strategies and policies to ensure that and organization meet its goals. Corporate and ethical issues can affect reputation and revenue, so handling ethical disputes can be vital to the success of a business[x]
Ready to search Online Masters in Ethics Programs?
Earning an Online Masters in Ethics might be a solid academic choice. Start searching through the listings on GradSchools.com to find the online degree and masters program in ethics that could help advance you towards your goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/political-scientists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/careeroutlook/2007/spring/art03.pdf | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/political-scientists.htm#tab-6 | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-examiners.htm | [vi] bls.gov/oes/2000/oes131041.htm | [vii] .bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditors.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/medical-scientists.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/reporters-correspondents-and-broadcast-news-analysts.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/management/top-executives.htm
University of West Florida
The mission of the Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) online degree program is to empower a generation of public health professionals with skills, knowledge, and competencies to contribute creatively and ethically to education, research, and service. Gra...