Masters in Ethics on Campus Programs and Degrees
Masters in Ethics on Campus Programs and Degree Info
The fields of liberal arts and humanities are very broad. For the student who enjoys philosophy and philosophical thinking, intellectual enquiry, and debating issues of moral conduct, enrolling in a Masters in Ethics on Campus Program might be an interesting academic path.
Studying ethics might give learners the knowledge and sills to contemplate issues that span different fields, such as medicine, law, business, and the environment. Ethics is the branch of philosophy that involves organizing, debating, and recommending concepts of right or wrong, good and evil, virtue and vice, justice and crime. Since beliefs, theories, and policies can form the basis for ethical and philosophical inquiry, ethical studies might be an interdisciplinary field.
Some of the questions that ethics explore might include:
- Is this the right way to live?
- Is this the right decision to take?
- Is this test a violation of human rights?
- Does this comply with standards and regulations?
What are the Potential Advantages to Masters in Ethics on Campus Programs?
Pursuing your masters in ethics on campus degree may be an opportunity to develop new networks, have face-to-face interaction with classmates and professors, as well as join different activities. You may also gain access to campus facilities, whether you want to use the athletic amenities, libraries or social services. Some people find that it is easier to study and keep focused when they have to get themselves to a real classroom.
What Are The Different Types OF Ethics Masters Programs?
Broadly speaking, ethics is an extensive discipline, which might offer students an option to specialize or follow a program track that leads to future studies, such as a Ph.D. in Ethics If you are hoping to prepare to pursue a career in medical ethics,
generally this requires advanced degrees[i]
Some of the Masters in Ethics programs focus on Applied Ethics or Ethical Studies. This is one of the disciplines in philosophy that attempts to apply ethical theory to real-life situations, and has several areas of concentration that students might be able to choose to focus their graduate studies in[ii]. These might include:
- Bioethics: this is the study of ethics that has formed as a result of advances in medicine and biology, and is concerned with questions that come up in biotechnology, politics, law, medicine and philosophy. Curriculum: can include courses in stem cell biology, biomaterials, tissue engineering, synthetic biology, health care and nanotechnology.
- Business Ethics: also called corporate ethics and professional ethics is concerned with examining ethical problems that arise in business, business conduct, and relates to both individuals and corporations. Curriculum: can include courses on leadership, ethical business practices, how organizations work.
- Political Ethics: is concerned with public ethics, moral judgments, political decision-making and justice. Curriculum: can include topics such as global human rights, policy-making.
Some of the skill-sets that might be developed in ethics masters programs might include:
- Learning how to reason
- Formulate, analyze and debate a point of view
- Think outside the box, critical thinking, reasoning
- Communicate effectively, writing skills
- Be attentive to detail, research
What Are the Potential Career Paths Associated With A Masters in Ethics on Campus degree?
Earning a Master’s degree in ethics might help prepare you to pursue potential career opportunities in a variety of fields; some of these options may be influenced by whether you are drawn more to business or medical ethics based programs, as well as other determinants.
Ethics in Real Time:
- Some analysts debate the moral dimensions of the law[iii]
- Many top executives in the public sector have a master’s degree in liberal arts[iv]
- Many law schools and bar associations provide continuing education courses such as legal ethics to help keep lawyers current with recent developments[v]
- Political Scientists may need a master’s degree or Ph.D. Many graduates pursue careers in policy making. Employment is projected to grow 21% from 2012 to 2022[vi]
If you have majored in ethics, political ethics, or are drawn to work with governments, the law or policy-making some career paths might include:
- Political Scientist: Study the origin, development, and operation of political systems. They research political ideas and analyze governments, policies, political trends and related issues[vii]
- Lawyers: Advise and represent individuals, businesses, and government agencies on legal issues and disputes[viii]
- Reporters, Correspondents and Broadcast News Analysts: Management and business ethics are popular topics. A writer, analyst or reporter with a degree in Business ethics might have the understanding of regulatory issues, and be able to communicate effectively through various media platforms[ix]
If you have specialized in bioethics, a potential career path might include:
- Medical Scientist: Conduct research aimed at improving overall human health. They often use clinical trials and other investigative methods[i]
For the student who has studied business ethics, some potential career paths might include:
- Financial Examiners: Ensure compliance with laws governing financial institutions and transactions. They review documents such as balance sheets, evaluate the risk level of loans, and assess bank management[x]
- Compliance Officers: Examine, evaluate and investigate eligibility for conformity with laws and regulations governing contract compliance of licenses and permits, and enforcement inspection activities not classified elsewhere[xi]
- Auditor: Prepare and examine financial records. They ensure that financial records are accurate, that taxes are filed on time, and assess financial operations to ensure businesses and organizations are run efficiently[xii]
- Top Executives: Devise strategies and policies to ensure that and organization meet its goals. Corporate and ethical issues can affect reputation and revenue, so handling ethical disputes can be vital to the success of a business[xiii]
Ready to search Masters in Ethics on Campus Programs?
Earning a Masters in Ethics is a graduate degree program with the potential to lead to many interesting vocational outcomes, as well as be a fascinating option for deeper study. Start browsing through the listings on GradSchools.com to find the campus masters program in ethics that can help you attain your goals!
Sources: bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/medical-scientists.htm | [ii] wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics | [iii] bls.gov/careeroutlook/2007/spring/art03.pdf | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/management/top-executives.htm#tab-4 | [v] bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm#tab-4 | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/political-scientists.htm#tab-4 | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/political-scientists.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/reporters-correspondents-and-broadcast-news-analysts.htm | [x] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/financial-examiners.htm | [xi] bls.gov/oes/2000/oes131041.htm | [xii] bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditors.htm | [xiii] bls.gov/ooh/management/top-executives.htm
- Durham, NCDurham, NC
The Duke Master of Arts in Bioethics & Science Policy is distinct in its focus on bioethics and science policy, rather than bioethics or medical ethics alone.
- Ann Arbor, MIAnn Arbor, MI
University of Michigan
Michigan's doctoral program offers broad and intensive training in philosophy. Faculty specialties are wide-ranging and extend to areas not represented in every major research department, including aesthetics, feminist philosophy, medieval philosophy, p...
- Sheffield, United KingdomSheffield, United Kingdom
University of Sheffield
The LLM in Biotechnology Law and Ethics is a unique course in the UK, based in the law school but drawing on research at the forefront of the biosciences conducted in centres of excellence at the University of Sheffield in stem cell biology, biomater...
- Jeonju, KoreaJeonju, Korea
Chonbuk National University
- Richmond, VARichmond, VA
Union Theological Seminary & Presbyterian School of Christian Education
The first masters levels programs train pastors, educators, and scholars for the church. They require a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university. The Ph.D., Th.M., and D.Min. require an appropriate masters degree. T...
- Loma Linda, CALoma Linda, CA
Loma Linda University
- Keele, United KingdomKeele, United Kingdom
Keele is a residential campus university set in beautiful Staffordshire parkland. With its academic departments, Library and Computer Center conveniently close to student accommodation, it represents an ideal environment is which to study and pursue res...
- Salaya, ThailandSalaya, Thailand
Mahidol University at Salaya
The Master of Arts in Ethical Studies program was established in 1992 to answer the growing need for young professionals who possess in depth kn...
- Ankara, TurkeyAnkara, Turkey
Middle East Technical University
- Ottawa, ONOttawa, ON
St. Paul University
- Taegu, KoreaTaegu, Korea
Kyungpook National University
- Busan, KoreaBusan, Korea
Chonnam National University
- Manchester, United KingdomManchester, United Kingdom
University of Manchester
Due to its modular design, the postgraduate programme at CSEP can accommodate most students' interests in both its taught and research degrees.
- Incheon, KoreaIncheon, Korea
University of Inchon
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago
The MBA with Business Ethics Concentration emphasizes the importance of having a moral code and behaving ethically in the business environment.
- Brussels, BelgiumBrussels, Belgium
University of Kent
Anthropology prides itself on its inclusive and interdisciplinary focus. It takes a holistic approach to human society, combining biological and social perspectives. Kent has pioneered the social anthropological study of Europe, Latin America, Melan...
- Brussels, Belgium
- Auckland, New ZealandAuckland, New Zealand
University of Auckland
The University's comprehensive range of postgraduate study programmes is internationally recognised, attracting students from all over the world.
- Valparaiso, INValparaiso, IN
The MALS concentration in Ethics & Values is intended for professionals in a variety of fields who could benefit from an understanding of and sensitiv...
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
King's College London
- Abilene, TXAbilene, TX
Hardin Simmons University
The Master of Divinity degree is the universally recognized professional ministerial degree.
- Amsterdam, NetherlandsAmsterdam, Netherlands
Artificial Intelligence is a highly multidisciplinary field.
- Madison, NJMadison, NJ
Medical humanities, as a contemporary academic field, is still in its infancy.