Masters in Pharmacology in Nashville
Masters in Pharmacology and Toxicology Programs and Degrees Info
Graduate students with a keen interest in biomedical sciences such as biology, chemistry, biochemistry and physiology, matched with an enjoyment laboratory work might find that a career focused Pharmacology and Toxicology Masters program could help them to pursue a variety of career paths. If you are interested in health and medicine, drawn to explore new therapies in the lab, potentially enhance patient clinical care or work in the pharmaceutical industry, pursuing a master’s in toxicology degree or a masters in pharmacology could be a great fit, as well as serve as a stepping stone to advanced studies in pharmacology phd programs.
DID YOU KNOW? Pharmacists work in pharmacies, hospitals and clinics. They must be licensed, which requires passing two exams, and must have a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D), a 4 – year professional degree[i]
What is Pharmacology? in Nashville
The term pharmacology is the branch of medicine and biology concerned with drug action, whether this is man-made, natural or an endogenous molecule, and the study of the interactions that occur between a living organism and chemicals that affect either normal or abnormal biochemical functions. If these substances have medicinal properties, they are referred to as pharmaceuticals.[ii] The field of pharmacology is broad and encompasses drug composition, drug properties, synthesis and drug design, molecular and cellular mechanisms, interactions, chemical biology and toxicology.
What is Toxicology? in Nashville
Toxicology is a branch of biology, chemistry, and medicine (pharmacology) that is concerned with the study of the adverse effects of chemicals on living organisms. As a field of study, toxicology is a scientific specialization that focuses on the research and development of pharmaceuticals and drug therapies.
- Pharmacology is a word derived from pharmakon, ‘poison’ in classic Greek; ‘drug’ in modern Greek, and logia, ‘knowledge of’[ii]
- The origins of clinical pharmacology date back to the Middle Ages[ii]
- Toxicology is a word derived from the Greek words toxikos, ‘poisonous’ and logos[iii]
- Dioscorides, a Greek physician in the court of the Roman emperor, Nero, made the first attempt to classify plants according to their toxic and therapeutic effects[iii]
What is a Pharmacology and Toxicology Master’s Program?
Students have the option to look into earning a general Master of Science Degree in Pharmacology and Toxicology, or a concentration in either Pharmacology or in Toxicology.
Pharmacology masters programs study the development and use of different drugs and medicines. A Masters in pharmacology may emphasize testing, manufacturing and research methodologies for examining the actions of drugs on the systemic, cellular, and sub cellular levels to help analyze diseases such as cancer. A Masters in Pharmacy, which is a concentration within the Pharmacology program, tends to focus on safely prescribing, preparing, and dispensing medical treatments to patients.
Toxicology masters programs could educate students in molecular, cellular, and organ systems. This study can be concerned with sub disciplines in toxicology such as mutagenisis and carcinogenesis, pulmonary toxicology, endocrine disruptors, developmental toxicology, neurotoxicology, and environmental toxicology, which can include the study of pesticides and pharmaceuticals.
How do I find a Pharmacology and Toxicology Masters Program?
GradSchools.com makes your search for a Pharmacology and Toxicology Masters Program easy. You can perform a simple location search to determine where you could pursue a master’s in masters in pharmacology or concentrate in earning a master’s in toxicology degree. All you do is use the tabs and enter a city, state or country where you want to study. Next you can refine your search by deciding which learning format appeals to you. Do you prefer to attend a campus, and experience the face-to-face interactions with classmates and professors? Are you a busy adult or working professional looking to enhance your technical knowledge and skill-sets to potentially jumpstart your career search? If so, a distance learning format such as an Online or Hybrid toxicology masters programs, masters in toxicology, toxicology degree programs, masters in toxicology program might be the most flexible and convenient options.
Refine this process by looking into the various listings to determine whether you want to enroll in a general or concentrated Master’s Degree program, and whether the program is part of an advanced track to a Doctoral research or PhD in toxicology or pharmacology PhD programs. Some of your potential choices can include a Master of Science in Toxicology, a M.S. in Molecular Pharmacology and Toxicology, M.S. in Pharmacology, Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Pharmacy Administration, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or M.S. in Pharmacology and Toxicology. Browsing through all the options could clarify your perfect choice.
Potential Course Curriculum for Pharmacology and Toxicology Master’s Programs
Curriculums vary by school, learning format and degree concentration within Pharmacology and Toxicology Masters Programs. Students may have an opportunity to learn topics that include:
- Research methodology
- Cell Biology
- Biological processes
- Molecular mechanisms of diseases
- Therapeutic approaches to health
Potential Career Paths for Pharmacology and Toxicology Masters Graduates
There are different potential career paths for Pharmacology and Toxicology Masters Graduates. Some of these can depend on the level of your education, your chosen emphasis of study, and other factors. A few of these professions may include:
- Medical Scientists: conduct research aimed at improving overall human health. They often use clinical trials and other investigative methods to reach their findings[iv]
- Pharmacists: dispense prescription medications to patients and offer expertise in the safe use of prescriptions. They also may provide advice on how to lead a healthy lifestyle, conduct health and wellness screenings, provide immunizations, and oversee the medications given to patients[v]
- Biochemists and Biophysicists: study the chemical and physical principles of living things and of biological processes, such as cell development, growth and heredity[vi]
- Biomedical Engineers: analyze and design solutions to problems in biology and medicine, with the goal of improving the quality and effectiveness of patient care.[vii]
- Chemists and Materials Scientists: study substances at the atomic and molecular levels and the ways in which substances react with each other. They use their knowledge to develop new and improved products and to test the quality of manufactured goods[viii]
- Natural Sciences Managers: supervise the work of scientists, including chemists, physicists, and biologists. They direct activities related to research and development, and coordinate activities such as testing, quality control and production[ix]
Ready to pursue your masters in pharmacology or your masters in toxicology?
Pursuing a masters in pharmacology or a masters in toxicology could be a great academic and professional choice if you wish to pursue a career where you investigate disease, research the next potential cure for cancer, or help patients understand why and how their medication is working. Why not look into the Pharmacology and Toxicology Masters Programs on GradSchools.com to pinpoint the degree program that may meet your aspirations and goals!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm | [ii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacology | [iii] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicology | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/medical-scientists.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacists.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/biochemists-and-biophysicists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/biomedical-engineers.htm | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/chemists-and-materials-scientists.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/management/natural-sciences-managers.htm
|State||Employment||Annual Mean Wage|
Schools with Master of Pharmacology in Nashville
|Toxicology and Carcinogenesis||Vanderbilt University||MS|