Masters in Nutrition on Campus Programs and Degrees
Masters in Nutrition on Campus Programs and Degrees General Info
Graduate students interested in a career-focused program in health and medicine, might consider enrolling in a campus nutrition masters program. A master’s degree in nutrition could help prepare graduates to pursue careers as nutrition professionals in the pharmaceutical industry, research nutritional biochemistry, educate patients on healthy eating habits, shape public policy, or work to ensure that agriculture is productive and safe.
Food science is the field of study in which the engineering, biological, and physical sciences are used to study food and food processing. Nutrition, as a discipline of study is the science that interprets the interaction of nutrients and other substances in food. This can include the maintenance, growth, reproduction, health, diet and disease of an organism, both human and animal. Nutrition, food science, and physiology therefore play an important role in wellness.
FACT: Scurvy, a vitamin C deficiency, was first described in 1500 BC in the Ebers Papyrus
How do I find a Masters in Nutrition on Campus program?
GradSchools.com makes researching campus-based nutrition degree programs simple to find. You can begin with a location search to determine where programs are offered. Simply use the city, state or country tabs, then browse results. Filter this search if you are looking for a concentrated master degree in nutrition. For instance, you could earn a Master of Science in Exercise science, a Master in Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Nutrition, Food Science or a Master of Science in Food Safety Regulations. These are just options, so make sure to review all the listings.
Studying for your masters in nutrition on a college campus may give you the chance to network. For many it is a time of
enjoying all that the college experience has to offer, and is the format of learning with the most face-to-face interaction between classmates and professors. In addition, being on campus means you get access to the college’s facilities such as libraries, laboratories and athletic amenities.
What is the potential curriculum in a campus nutrition master’s program?
Curriculum in campus nutrition masters programs can vary depending on any concentration, whether you are continuing onto study at the PhD level, the school and program format. Students might expect to learn subjects that can include:
- Science of nutrition
- Health promotion
- Disease, nutrition related diseases
- Food Safety regulations
- Food production
- Public Health
- Exercise Science
- Clinical nutrition
What are the potential career paths for graduates with master’s degrees in nutrition?
Some of the potential career paths and the projected job outlook for graduates holding masters degrees in nutrition may include:
- Agricultural and Food Scientists work to ensure that agricultural establishments are productive and food is safe. Employment is projected to grow 9% from 2012 to 2022[i]
- Agricultural and Food Science Technicians assist food scientist by performing duties such as measuring and analyzing the quality of food and agricultural products. Employment is projected to grow 3% from 2012 to 2022[ii]
- Dieticians and Nutritionists are experts in food and nutrition. They advise people on what to eat in order to lead a healthy lifestyle or achieve a specific health-related goal. Employment is projected to grow 21% from 2012 to 2022[iii]
- Health Educators and Community Health Workers teach people about behaviors that promote wellness, and may develop and implement strategies to improve the health of individuals and communities. Employment is projected to grow 21% from 2012 to 2022[iv]
- Medical and Health Services Managers, also called healthcare executives or healthcare administrators, plan, direct and coordinate medical and health services. Employment is projected to grow 23% from 2012 to 2022[v]
- Epidemiologists are public health professionals who investigate patterns and causes of disease and injury in humans and seek to reduce the risk of negative health outcomes through research, community education, and health policy. Employment is projected to grow 10% from 2012 to 2022[vi]
- Occupational Health and Safety Specialists analyze many types of work environments and procedures. Employment is projected to grow 7% from 2012 to 2022[vii]
- Biochemists and Biophysicists study the chemical and physical principles of living things and of biological processes, such as cell development, growth and heredity. Employment is projected to grow 19% from 2012 to 2022[viii]
- Athletic Trainers and Exercise Physiologists specialize in preventing, diagnosing, and treating bone injuries and illnesses. Employment is projected to grow 19% from 2012 to 2022[ix]
Ready to pursue a master’s degree in nutrition?
If you have a keen interest in studying nutrition from a medical wellness, scientific or management perspective, earning a master’s in nutrition may lead to a variety of potential career paths in some high growth industries. Begin your search for campus nutrition masters programs on GradSchools.com and take your education in nutrition, diet and food science up to the next level!
Sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/agricultural-and-food-scientists.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/agricultural-and-food-science-technicians.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dietitians-and-nutritionists.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm | [v] bls.gov/ooh/management/mobile/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm | [vi] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/epidemiologists.htm | [vii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/occupational-health-and-safety-specialists.htm#tab-2 | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/biochemists-and-biophysicists.htm | [ix] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/athletic-trainers-and-exercise-physiologists.htm
- Edinburgh, United KingdomEdinburgh, United Kingdom
University of Edinburgh
Graduates will be equipped with the analytical and communication skills to contribute to humanity's efforts to achieve and sustain food security during the 21st century...
- San Luis Obispo, CASan Luis Obispo, CA
California State University, Cal Poly
Building on Cal Poly's learn by doing tradition, students develop the manufacturing and leadership skills needed to be successful managers in the dairy foods industry...
- San Luis Obispo, CA
- Fairfield, CTFairfield, CT
Sacred Heart University
The MS in Exercise Science & Nutrition prepares grads in two tracks, clinical and performance, to work in a variety of settings.
- Halifax, NSHalifax, NS
Mount Saint Vincent University
The Master of Science Applied Human Nutrition and the Master of Applied Human Nutrition programs will provide students with the opportunity for advanc...
- Auburn, ALAuburn, AL
The Department of Nutrition and Food Science offers graduate study leading to a M.S. and a Ph.D. degree in Nutrition and Food Science with an emphasis in Food Science, Nutrition, and Hotel and Restaurant Management.
- College Station, TXCollege Station, TX
Texas A&M University
Advanced training in the basic sciences, processing technology, and engineering related to the production, processing, safety, distribution, and utilization of food. Graduate study provides the student with the opportunity to conduct research in laborat...
- College Station, TX
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
The mission of the program is to develop clinical nutrition practitioners who are competent to provide medical nutrition therapy...
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
University of Illinois at Chicago
- Syracuse, NYSyracuse, NY
Syracuse University's Department of Nutrition Science and Dietetics offers master's (M.A., M.S.) degrees in nutrition.
- Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan
Jissen Women's University
- Statesboro, GAStatesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University
Georgia's 1st Master's in Kinesiology with a focus on Sports Nutrition.
- Huntington, WVHuntington, WV
- Fort Collins, COFort Collins, CO
Colorado State University
Students may obtain a M.S. degree in Health and Exercise Science.
- Muncie, INMuncie, IN
Ball State University
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
University of Southern California
The Master of Nutrition Science program enriches the graduate students undergraduate nutrition background with a unique blend of traditional, advanced...
- Dekalb, ILDekalb, IL
Northern Illinois University
- Stillwater, OKStillwater, OK
Oklahoma State University
Food science is an interdisciplinary graduate program designed to provide an opportunity for students to acquire basic knowledge of food industry encompassing the biological and physical sciences. The increasing complexity of the problems involved in th...
- Tulsa, OK
- Durham, NHDurham, NH
University of New Hampshire
The graduate program includes the M.S. degree in Nutritional Sciences, or a Ph.D. degree in animal and nutritional sciences. Areas of research specialization include human nutrition, mammalian physiology and pathology, nutritional biochemistry and me...
- Haifa, IsraelHaifa, Israel
Technion-Israel Institute Of Technology
The Technion is the oldest university in Israel. It is ranked as one of the world's leading scientific institutes of higher learning .
- Shipai, ChinaShipai, China
- Greensboro, NCGreensboro, NC
North Carolina A&T State University