United States Masters in Nursing Administration Online Programs
Online Masters in Nursing Administration Degrees | Nursing Administration Masters Programs Overview
For registered nurses who have a propensity for management and leadership, earning an online Masters in Nursing Administration degree might be a valuable steep in potentially advancing a career and earning potential. A very fast growing field Nursing Administrators work in a variety of settings, from hospitals, to medical offices, nursing and residential facilities and government.
With the developments in educational technology, more schools are offering Online Nursing Administration Masters programs to address the needs of working RNs who want to earn a masters’ degree but cannot leave their current jobs, or live too far to commute to a campus. Typically, web-based learning involves logging into a course management system for your classes when you have the time. Digital tools are used to keep connected to faculty and classmates, as well as for online research.
To get a listing of options in online masters programs in nursing administration, use the search tools on GradSchools.com.
You might find online programs such as Master of Science in Nursing-Clinical Nurse Leader, Master of Science in Nursing – Executive Nurse Leader, Master of Science in Nursing- Health Care Systems Management, and Master of Science in Nursing – Nurse Administrator. Once you have a list, you are able to request more info from the schools to compare them.
FUN FACT: Many employers require prospective medical and health services managers to have some work experience in either an administrative or a clinical role in a hospital or other healthcare facility. For example, nursing home administrators usually have years of experience working as a registered nurse.
Is an Online Masters in Nursing Administration Right For Me?
Technological advances aside you might want to
consider weighing the potential advantages or potential challenges of distance-learning before you jump in. Here are a few points to bear in mind about online masters in nursing administration programs.
- Logging In: Online study requires a working and reliable computer and Internet access, so if this aspect is not in place, you may find the process frustrating
- Independence: Typically, even though there is contact, your virtual classroom will differ in that you will need to be able to work and think independently.
- Convenience: Generally you have full time access to your courses, and submit papers electronically rather than having to be at a class at a designated hour. Make sure to check this with the school, as program formats vary
- Quality: With the popularity of online study, many accredited schools make their programs accessible online.
- Coursework: The coursework in online nursing administration masters programs may be the same and equally as rigorous as for on-campus programs, and still may require students to complete a combination of coursework, practicum, and research. This practicum may be built into a currently held job. Students in online nursing administration programs may explore topics that include:
- Statistics for health professions
- Research in nursing
- Nursing issues and trends
- Budgeting and finances for health professionals
- Nursing informatics
- Nursing administration, leadership, and management
- Nursing administration (theory and practicum)
- Operations planning and control
- Health care technology
- Health care advocacy
In addition, many online programs in nursing administration require students to develop their business knowledge and skills through elective work in subjects such as budgeting and finance, medical business, public health, and/or public administration. Such courses often help nurses specialize in or emphasize a particular area of nursing administration, executive leadership, and/or management.
- Challenge: Online education is not congruent with easier education!
- Practicum: Students in online programs typically work closely with a professor to develop and enact a plan to work with an on-the-job supervisor in the field. This allows students to gain practical experience without having to leave their current location. Make sure to check whether there are facilities in your area sufficient to fulfill program and personal requirements of a practicum.
- Leadership: Make sure to check what types of leadership in nursing administration the program you are looking into will prepare you for. In some cases you might be able to do an MBA/MSN in Nurse Leadership that may be different from a Nurse Manager program. Make sure to match your career goals with the program you choose.
- Laboratories: Before you commit to an online program, verify whether there are appropriate and necessary training facilities and labs in your area that you will have access to, if this is needed
Ready To Pursue An Online Masters In Nursing Administration?
Ultimately, earning a master’s in nurse administration online may afford students an opportunity to smoothly incorporate graduate-level education into their already busy and structured lives. Why not review your options on GradSchools.com today!
Sources: bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/registered-nurses.htm | bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm | onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9111.00
Sacred Heart University
Move up to a leadership role with a sought-after credential. Offering four specializations in Clinical Nurse Leadership, Nursing Management & Executive Leadership, Nursing Education, and Family Nurse Practitioner.
Grand Canyon University
Our changing health care industry requires nurses with more skills and knowledge than ever before.
Purdue University Global
Focus on developing courses and programs that integrate nursing philosophy. Examine the applications and both the ethical and legal issues related to the use of technology in teaching. Analyze assessment, measurement, and evaluation methods used in nurs...
Advance as a nurse leader, educator, informaticist or practitioner with Walden’s CCNE-accredited online MSN program. One of the largest and most affordable MSN programs available today with a long history of educating nursing profes...
The Master of Science in Nursing programs at Grantham University are designed to build upon and expand the knowledge and...
University of San Francisco
The USF 100% Online RN-MSN Program is available to students with both an associate and bachelor’s degree in nursing. At USF, the MSN degree takes a holistic approach that combines evidence based practice with developing our students as leaders...
The CNL assumes leadership/accountability for health outcomes for a specific group of clients within a unit or setting.
University of Pittsburgh
The Clinical Nurse Leader is an emerging nursing role developed by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) in...
Oklahoma Wesleyan University
The MBA in Nursing Management from Oklahoma Wesleyan University has been created to stand as a cross-disciplinary program with the specific components...
Roberts Wesleyan College
Old Dominion University
The Leadership in Nursing and Health Care Systems role prepares the graduate for leadership positions in a variety of health care areas, such as healt...
Fort Hays State University
University of Southern Indiana
The Department of Nursing offers a graduate program leading to the Master of Science in Nursing degree.
Wheeling Jesuit University
University of Texas System
This 36-credit graduate program offered by UT Rio Grande Valley produces a nursing leader in the area of nursing administration.
- Charlottesville, VACharlottesville, VA
University of Virginia - Charlottesville
The University of Virginia School of Nursing is ranked #15 in the country for graduate nursing programs in the country (placing it in the top 3% of programs in the US). The PhD in Nursing program was ranked in the Top 10 of doctoral programs in 2010 b...
Western Carolina University
The Western Carolina University MSN Nursing Administration program prepares nurses for the role of nurse administrator with a...
Franklin Pierce University
The nursing administration track is designed for baccalaureate nurses who wish to pursue a master's in nursing administration.